Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Salvatore is suppose to be some great writer but it doesn't really show in the game, it's pretty much like all the other fantasy games, didn't really notice any difference in writing compared to other fantasy role playing games.

I still really like the game though, it has some really satisfying combat and it looks amazing.
    Hahahah.

Salvatore being a great writer. Fuck no. The thing he's famous for is Drizzt, and if you have a character you're famous for who's name half-rhymes with jizz, you're probably better off not being a writer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Wow. That's... shocking. I mean really shocking. I'll likely still get Amalur, though, but not until it's cheaper.

Suppose that's what happens when you bite off more than you can chew.
    Half price on Origin at present.

Was planning on getting this at Christmas when my new games hiatus is up, but I opted to get it now as I figure they need to money, and 50% off is a pretty good deal.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 18-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I wonder if he actually did any writing, then, since he was just a consultant.

1.36 million dollars says that MacFarlane was just a "consultant" as well. From the screen shots the animations seemed pretty generic. It didn't really seem to have any distinctive aesthetic at all--MacFarlane's or anyone else's. Just generic, vaguely Fable-esque, fantasy art.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I wonder if he actually did any writing, then, since he was just a consultant.

1.36 million dollars says that MacFarlane was just a "consultant" as well. From the screen shots the animations seemed pretty generic. It didn't really seem to have any distinctive aesthetic at all--MacFarlane's or anyone else's. Just generic, vaguely Fable-esque, fantasy art.
    As I understood it, he didn't actually write for the game itself, he was responsible for "world building" - creating the background lore, coming up with a history for the world and it's inhabitants etc. The game's actual plot and quests were written by somebody else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Hahahah.

Salvatore being a great writer. Fuck no. The thing he's famous for is Drizzt, and if you have a character you're famous for who's name half-rhymes with jizz, you're probably better off not being a writer.
    So glad you're back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I dont really know much about business, but I believe that publishers which have their own game development operations, make them very bad publishing partners, for obvious reason. Now I dont say that EA does anything right or wrong, but come to think of it, if you are a game publisher publishing both first party and third games, would you tolerate a third party game you publish cannibalize the customer base of your own first party game?

As I observed, Kingdoms of Amalur received huge marketing campaign, but nothing as aggressively games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Half price on Origin at present.

Was planning on getting this at Christmas when my new games hiatus is up, but I opted to get it now as I figure they need to money, and 50% off is a pretty good deal.
    50% off an above average priced game is still more than I want to pay.

That and I haven't got any money right now.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    As I observed, Kingdoms of Amalur received huge marketing campaign, but nothing as aggressively games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect.
    That's likely because it's not wholly EA's responsibility to advertise the game via the EA Partners programme.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They have sold only 500k-650k copies. Wonder how many DLC sold.

A success is dependent on their budget. I think their funding for the MMO and overpaying big names did them in early.

They also have(had) 300+ employees...
    Last edited by Moraven; 18-05-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Rhode Island governor announces 38 Studios MMO launch date:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/18/rh...mmo-a-june-20/

How bizarre is that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Rhode Island governor announces 38 Studios MMO launch date:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/18/rh...mmo-a-june-20/

How bizarre is that?
    Yeah, I'm going with "dafuq" for this.

Mind you, that's not far after 38 Studios' plans.

Network Hub
    Here comes the kickstarter campaign.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    MMO's really are the sirens of the gaming industry. So many otherwise competent studios have run themselves aground on those rocks, pursuing the illusion of easy money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I feel bad about this. The sportmans dude (forgot the name) looked to me like a nice men (forget about his liberal opinions), and having bad things happend to good people is bad on my book. Plus all the jobs that can be lost because of this.

Oh well. We all know making a MMO is very expensive, and that the market is saturated. Its terrible.

Network Hub

Bloody cheap for a developer that is meant to have 300 people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    First video of the MMO:

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    The sad thing is that, difficulty aside, KoAR wasn't a bad game. It ran well, had tons of content, and fun mechanics (except for the stupid lockpicking and disenchanting minigames). It could have used more enemy variety, better writing, and a more distinctive art style, but I've played games which were worse in every one of those regards.

Also sad is the fact that the MMO--which will likely never see release--would almost certainly have ditched the very fun combat in favor of traditional MMO mechanics.

That last paragraph said that the Governor would try to keep the studio open. But since the funding would almost certainly have to be approved by the state legislature, and I really don't know anything about Rhode Island politics, I wonder how far his well wishes can go.

The part about the healthcare cutting out really sucks. I was just listening to a story this morning on NPR about a woman whose company reduced healthcare, including removing coverage for prescriptions, and she was on an anti-rejection medication for a recent liver transplant. The loss of the coverage was almost a death sentence. I really hope no one at 38 Studios is in that situation.

Obscure Node
    I would just really like it if 38 Studios would actually let me play my purchased copy of Reckoning before they go belly up. Guess that'll teach me to support the self-published version by getting it on Steam instead of Origin. Won't be buying from those thieves again.