Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveNoIdea View Post
    I would just really like it if 38 Studios would actually let me play my purchased copy of Reckoning before they go belly up. Guess that'll teach me to support the self-published version by getting it on Steam instead of Origin. Won't be buying from those thieves again.
    Does this look like a customer support desk to you? My Steam copy of KoA works fine. You might want to contact them.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Does this look like a customer support desk to you? My Steam copy of KoA works fine. You might want to contact them.
    Yes your version works fine. I bet you didn't end up with an IP address that 38 Studios are actively blocking. I bet you weren't lied to by Steam support and led to believe that your version would work regardless of IP address. 38 Studios, EA and Valve have all been contacted about this by many different people. You can see it mentioned several times on both the 38 Studios and Steam forums. And I'm sure if you were on the receiving end of this, you'd be just as annoyed at me by the fact that NOBODY is helping. Now if this damn forum would actually let me post a topic, I'd be able to post in full about this in a manner that you and everyone else can happily continue ignoring, as you obviously don't care when a fellow gamer is stolen from.

Network Hub
    Yes your version works fine. I bet you didn't end up with an IP address that 38 Studios are actively blocking. I bet you weren't lied to by Steam support and led to believe that your version would work regardless of IP address. 38 Studios, EA and Valve have all been contacted about this by many different people. You can see it mentioned several times on both the 38 Studios and Steam forums. And I'm sure if you were on the receiving end of this, you'd be just as annoyed at me by the fact that NOBODY is helping. Now if this damn forum would actually let me post a topic, I'd be able to post in full about this in a manner that you and everyone else can happily continue ignoring, as you obviously don't care when a fellow gamer is stolen from.
    Oh gosh, that sounds like a terrible situation, way past the point at which I would have considered, say, alternative solutions.

First of all, calm down. Second, there's a minimum post clause in effect to stop spammers from spamming up the joint. Third, if what you say is true, just get a new IP address.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Bloody cheap for a developer that is meant to have 300 people.
    Indeed. Office rental + salaries + operational costs all mount up. $4 million for that many staff sounds pretty much spot on as a monthly overhead.

Persecution complex much? All sympathies to you if you can't presently play, but implying it's deliberate as opposed to being a technical issue isn't going to impress anyone. If the game won't work ask Valve for a refund, and then maybe try it through Origin if you think that will work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    <..>
    Have you thought of getting pirate version? I don't endorse pirating, if you didn't buy a product. But if you bought and can't use it, why not give it a try. I'm pretty sure it'll run perfectly and you have full moral right to do it, IMNSHO.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Have you thought of getting pirate version? I don't endorse pirating, if you didn't buy a product. But if you bought and can't use it, why not give it a try. I'm pretty sure it'll run perfectly and you have full moral right to do it, IMNSHO.
    Vs just asking for a refund?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    From Steam?

It's like trying to get blood from a stone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    From Steam?

It's like trying to get blood from a stone.
    They have access to your metrics. If the game doesn't work then they'll refund you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Well presumably he'd still rather play the game than get his money back? If he didn't then he wouldn't have bought it to start with...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Well presumably he'd still rather play the game than get his money back? If he didn't then he wouldn't have bought it to start with...
    If the issue is with Steam (as he purports) then he could buy it through Origin, or pick it up retail.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 24-05-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Seems couple top executives left/cut along with the other cuts made.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17092...l_problems.php

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Our medical insurance runs out tonight at midnight.

We found this out when an employee's pregnant wife was told by her doctor, this was on Tuesday 22nd May this week.
    Taken from the e-mail from a (supposed now-former) 38/BHG employee.

Says it all, really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wonder how much management and their expensive consultants took home from this mismanagement. Free money from the taxpayers.

Govt backed loans are being successful in other countries, black spot on other USA states willing to support the game industry. They did a real good job to convince them that MMOs are the real deal. 300+ staff they were pushing for a big production. While small time MMOs can exist and sustain themselves.

Rise of Nations was a superb game from BHG.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Taken from the e-mail from a (supposed now-former) 38/BHG employee.

Says it all, really.
    That really pisses me off. They don't tell them their healthcare runs out, they don't even fucking tell them that they won't get paid, and then they fire everyone with a tersely worded email. "We're experiencing an economic downturn, i.e. the management has screwed you over. Now get out of our faces."

I mean, what was their long-term plan? Assume that Amalur sold extremely well and hope that would be enough to subsidize the MMO development? At the rate at which the company has crashed, they must have been assuming a COD or similar level of sales, which is just absurd.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    I mean, what was their long-term plan? Assume that Amalur sold extremely well and hope that would be enough to subsidize the MMO development? At the rate at which the company has crashed, they must have been assuming a COD or similar level of sales, which is just absurd.
    They needed 3 million copies sold on Amalur just to break even so yea, they shot for COD number of sales.

You're dead on about their long-term plan. They expected Amalur to be a success of Oblivion / Skyrim proportions which then would split off into an MMO, similar to Warcraft ---> World of Warcraft. Reckoning was just meant to get people invested in the world, which it failed to do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    They needed 3 million copies sold on Amalur just to break even so yea, they shot for COD number of sales.

You're dead on about their long-term plan. They expected Amalur to be a success of Oblivion / Skyrim proportions which then would split off into an MMO, similar to Warcraft ---> World of Warcraft. Reckoning was just meant to get people invested in the world, which it failed to do.
    I think that's mostly because the whole elf/trolls and ghouls set-up has been done way too much and people got bored of it, not even a best-seller author can save that. It's hard to think of something completely new so it's not really completely their fault for failing that aspect.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I think that's mostly because the whole elf/trolls and ghouls set-up has been done way too much and people got bored of it, not even a best-seller author can save that. It's hard to think of something completely new so it's not really completely their fault for failing that aspect.
    Well, it's mostly because they spent three times more on their game than they really should have, considering it didn't do anything particularly innovative.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Where did most of the money go to besides the author?
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog