Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    That one of main aspects of the ARPG to me and ones truly capturing essence of ARPG are games with close enough, but not too close camera.
    I prefer a slightly distant camera. Best of all, of course, would be the choice of how far away the camera should be, which Sacred,, for one, gave you. (Maybe Divine Divinity did too?)

Network Hub
    Divine Divinity is a 2D game, and from what I can see from playing it, gives no way of zooming in or anything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Sacreds camera zoom was crappy, either too close, or too far and still characters felt terribly foreign somehow.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Things I wish every game would do:

There are no splash screens for Diablo 3. It loads quickly into the login screen, and quickly into the game. What do splash screens achieve, other than to annoy the player? Does anyone know?

Things for which the only suitable punishment is electric shocks:

Companion characters who have little annoyed comments when you stay still for a while, like when you're at the blacksmith browsing for things to craft. Shut your stupid trap, Kormac, and go and polish your armour or something while the adults are busy.

Network Hub
    A WORTHY FOE!

*battle*

THAT WAS A WORTHY FOE. GLORIOUS!

He's annoying during combat as well.

Some of the dialogue is terribad, but there are some gems in there. Like when Leah offers the barbarian a job in her future inn, to which he replies in a completely serious tone "you honour me".

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0 View Post
    A WORTHY FOE!

*battle*

THAT WAS A WORTHY FOE. GLORIOUS!

He's annoying during combat as well.
    You aren't getting the Dr Who reference?

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    What do splash screens achieve, other than to annoy the player? Does anyone know?
    To test the controller is plugged in/working.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    You aren't getting the Dr Who reference?
    I'm not, despite googling and checking the Templar's wiki page. Please share.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    To test the controller is plugged in/working.
    That's the 'Press <button> To Continue' screen. The publisher's/dev's logos, Intel Inside, nVidia the way it's meant to be, etc. are splash screens.
    Last edited by Dubbill; 23-05-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Apparently there's been a hotfix to nerf Mage's Force Armour and the Monk's Boon of Protection Runes. Considering Boon of Protection is the only thing that can (sometimes) keep my monk alive against elites on Inferno, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I have a nasty feeling Blizz want me to farm Act 1 inferno over and over again and play the auction house game before I can progress any further. I'm not sure I can be bothered, parts of Hell were awesome (act IV co-oped was as exciting as normal was pedestrian), but the monks playstyle becomes kind of dull after Nightmare. You get forced in to filling your hotbars with defensive spells to stay alive and all the snazzy kicks, teleports and explodey things fall by the wayside.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Apparently there's been a hotfix to nerf Mage's Force Armour and the Monk's Boon of Protection Runes. Considering Boon of Protection is the only thing that can (sometimes) keep my monk alive against elites on Inferno, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I have a nasty feeling Blizz want me to farm Act 1 inferno over and over again and play the auction house game before I can progress any further. I'm not sure I can be bothered, parts of Hell were awesome (act IV co-oped was as exciting as normal was pedestrian), but the monks playstyle becomes kind of dull after Nightmare. You get forced in to filling your hotbars with defensive spells to stay alive and all the snazzy kicks, teleports and explodey things fall by the wayside.
    "Our new skill system will allow players unparalleled choice and will give them the ability to choose their builds as they see fit without choosing cookie cutter ones."

Hahahah.

Activated Node
    On the whole, I've enjoyed the game so far, but I see some negative notes that could decrease the longevity of a game like this for serious players quite a bit:

1: Untested inferno. Blizzard bragged how their test teams couldn't beat inferno, it would take months! It was cleared in 3 days. Wizard and Demon Hunters had ways to dramatically increase their survivability (demon hunters could spam a skill that would make them invulnerable for 30 seconds, wizards could use life regen, cooldown reduction on crits and very low HP and a certain shield to become invulnerable against all but certain elites. These builds are quite obvious, and now being nerfed by blizzard. This is too late though, because there's act 4 inferno weapons on the auction house now (1-hands with 1200 dps) now, that only a few players can get. The players that managed to get these items while they could have a huge advantage over other players that want to do inferno.

2: Dull item system. In shooting for complete randomization (infinite gear guys!) legendaries, which have many affixes pre-selected become worse than blues or rares. The only legendaries worth something are those with affixes that rares and blues can't have. The rest is worthless. I found a legendary staff on inferno with 400 dps. Then I did the pony level on inferno and I found a white staff with 570 dps. Stats are nice and all, but on weapons damage is by far the most important. This leads to legendaries serving little point, which lame, because you're just going to be farming blues and yellows and pray to the item roll gods that they have good stats. Set items suffer from the same problem, and set bonuses being mostly very bad.

3: Inconsistent difficulty of inferno:
    Boss mobs (purple mobs) in inferno are mostly very easy compared to the elite packs. Some elite packs have affixes that makes them impossible for certain specs (invulnerable minions for the crit-reliant wizard). What do people do? They take a a look at the affixes of elite mobs, then skip them if they deem them too hard.

I think the biggest problem is that Blizzard didn't test inferno properly, even though that's where a lot of players are going to end up spending most of their time. Hell items don't compete with inferno items, so why bother doing hell?

Observations over, it's gonna be interesting to see how Blizzard handles this. First signs are bad: my wizard's shield that made me survivable in Inferno got nerfed or bugged or something? Nobody knows, what we do know is that although it should make hits only do 35% of your health maximally, some mobs just one-shot you right though it. On the US servers this happened too, then it was "fixed" again to work properly, on the EU servers it's broken atm. There was no announcement or even a change of the tooltip to reflect this change, which makes me think its a knee-jerk reaction (far too late) to wizards and demon hunters clearing act 4 inferno.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    "Our new skill system will allow players unparalleled choice and will give them the ability to choose their builds as they see fit without choosing cookie cutter ones."

Hahahah.
    As much as I hate to agree with R-F, he's right in this one. Inferno focuses on extreme damage which requires very defensive builds in order to be viable, of which there is little variation per class. It's also the reason why barbarians cannot take on inferno act 4, but wizards and demon hunters can.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    I'm not, despite googling and checking the Templar's wiki page. Please share.
    Maybe it's a pure co-incidence then.. but those lines are uttered many times by the Sontarans. Maybe that's too geeky even for Blizzard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Curry, is that your personal experience with Inferno, you're writing about.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Curry, is that your personal experience with Inferno, you're writing about.
    Yep, totally. I've played since release (a wizard) with some friends. I dare say we're pretty decent. We like to min/max, find the best possible places and builds to get loot. I've played through act 1 and 2 inferno legitly, and used a trick to get into act 4 inferno, which I manage quite well as well (my friends' barbarians and monks can't though, they take too much damage). I've got the infernal staff of herding which allows me to enter the inferno pony level (with the best loot). I hope that validates my arguments a bit.
    Last edited by Curry; 23-05-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: clarification

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    well, if i needed another reason to hate this game, my lvl 47 hc monk is now broken. thanks, blizzard. i really wanted the one skill i had to spam in order to survive nerfed into oblivion.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    TWhat do splash screens achieve, other than to annoy the player? Does anyone know?
    To piss you off? Ahhhhh memories of the unskippable intro to farcry on the xbox, around 10mins each time you started it up XD
    Iím going to play your game, because itís the only way to drive you off- do they give benefits for this job?

Oh, and unless youíve lurked here for years, Bhazor and I have been here for longer than you have, so we do have seniority (as much as I hate agreeing with a pony).
    LMAO

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    So, after playing a bit I am a bit disapointed by Diablo 3. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game. although I would not say a 90+. And maybe it's just not for me.

The itemization is flat-out boring and dull. Everything except Vitality + main stat is of no interest. In weapons you absolutely need the +Damage modifier and +damage gems. Also the drop rates are high but you rarely get something you want to use (because there are so few stats that matter) and unique and legendary items are beaten by blue items most of the time.
    Also the itemization has such a huge upwards progression (1200 DPS weapons...) that it is hard to impossible (depending on your luck) to progress from a certain point on without using the auction house. And when you use it, a few selected items beef you character up to unbeleivable amounts as your DPS can double by all the damage modifier coming from your primary stat.
    It seems like the itemization want's to push people towards using the auction house. I don't want to imply anything, but for me the whole thing looks fishy.

Also I don't know why this is called and ARPG. I wouldn't even call it an Arpg. Where is the RPG element? I feel more like a Barbie simulation where Blizzard gives me a character and I can dress it while playing with it. Yes It know, the item hunt has always been a big part of Diablo. But Diablo also was more then that. It was tinkering with my character. And with the new skill system, although BLizzard promissed 698.979.878.734.013.373 different skill combinations, only a selected few of them are actually viable on Hell and above. Alos some of the runes are just worthless. No sane person would use them.
    In the end I am not playing my character, or have any attachment to it, but I am playing the same character just like everybody else. That kind of makes me miss the RPG element in it. So when people get so upset about ME not being an RPG (whatever would make them think so), why is there no outrage when people call Diablo an ARPG? Because it has a story? For me it's a Hack&Slash with fancy cinematics.
    Also the story is boring and flat. Plot twists are no twists because a three-year old could have predicted those. That's the best Blizzard was able to come up with in ten years?

Another thing I would like to mention is the strange hit registration. You can walk up to an enemy and move away again. Although you are nowwhere near it when it does it's hit animation it still hits you. The same with the magic arrows which hit you although they miss you. At first I though that was lag related, but as it seems it is not, or not only. Also although I have a decent ping but get lag jumps by lags now and then. On higher difficulties that can get you easily killed and it frustrating. Currently I don't see any reason why I should play Hardcore. And don't get me wrong, I have a very good connection and have (in shooters for example) mostly a ping around and under 20. In Diablo 3 on a good day I get around 100. Most of the times I am around 130. When server load is high it can get close to 200. For a game that is online only in 2012 I concider that to be a bad performance.

And although I enjoyed Diablo 2 I feel like Diablo 3 is going to be an endless grind. Everybody complains about asian grinding MMOs. What's so much different about Diablo (3)? It's doing the same thing over and over again to get better loot instead of getting higher levels. And that's only because you reach level 60 pretty fast.

But maybe that's not even the important part. Maybe it's juts me. Maybe I am no longer susceptible to those kinds of games. Maybe my brains reward center is just borked.
    Altough, for some strange reason enjoyed playing the Torchlight 2 beta. But that might be the same issue as I enjoyed my first playthrough of Diablo 3 more then anything after that.
    It looks fancy at the beginning, but once you (me) come towards the "end" and you look behind the curtain the game doesn't offer you (me) anything anymore.
    Last edited by bonkers; 24-05-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added the hit registration part

I agree the hit registration is complete bollocks. Trying kiting with my wizard is terrible, although I'm not quite sure how much of that is due to the lag spikes you can get sometimes. Currently on Hell, and while it was fun all the time, now I can't kill anything that is more than a normal white mob and I have no clue why.