Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    I agree the hit registration is complete bollocks. Trying kiting with my wizard is terrible, although I'm not quite sure how much of that is due to the lag spikes you can get sometimes. Currently on Hell, and while it was fun all the time, now I can't kill anything that is more than a normal white mob and I have no clue why.

Stupid as it may be (imo), it's by design, not due to lag. Some mobs have an attack that's intentionally slow and avoidable by moving, but the normal attack is only dodgeable by your % chance to dodge once the animation starts, or interuptable by a stun. That's why you get the mobs in inferno one-shotting you even though they're half a screen away when their attack animation finishes.

Perhaps it would be too easy to skip a lot of mobs if you never stand still to let hits land on you.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    it's by design. they didn't want the game to be about kiting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I mean, that kind of makes sense, right? It wouldn't be fun to spend the entire game kiting. At least not as fun as not doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I mean, that kind of makes sense, right? It wouldn't be fun to spend the entire game kiting. At least not as fun as not doing that.
    it would be approximately as fun as the rest of the game, i imagine.

either way, they've defeated the purpose with how many temporary invulns are in the game combined with the waypoint system. people are essentially running from waypoint to waypoint until they get to the bosses.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I'll bite. I'm a Diablo III layman. What are said temporary invulns? Animations & things or actual talents & abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I'll bite. I'm a Diablo III layman. What are said temporary invulns? Animations & things or actual talents & abilities?
    skills, yeah (and runes for said skills). although they've mostly been nerfed (for the very reason that they enabled kiting, i suppose) the dh and wizard could remain impervious to damage/crowd control effects for quite a while. a four man monk team could actually be permanently invulnerable with the right rune/skill combination and some good coordination.

Sometimes you get hit while teleporting or vaulting, and you actually die afterwards. That's plain stupid, the whole point of teleport ist to evade an attack.
    Getting on with hell now after stealing a build from Bnet. I am winning fights now, although it's always a close call, which makes fights very tense and very fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Like any other game this popular, people will exploit any imbalance to rush to the finish first. 4 person monk group that was rushing to the end of Inferno. WoW guilds will stack certain classes for certain fights for the easiest make up (was like only Mages and Rogues for dps on Deathwing). While you can do with a decent mix up, anything that is more powerful than anything else these people will use.

For the general gamer crowd, it really has no effect. Not everyone is in Inferno. The game will be tuned over time more and more. These things come to light when millions have access to it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Kiting works as damage reduction rather than damage avoidance. A monster needs to catch you, stop, go through an attack animation then catch up again before being able to attack again. Demon Hunter Strafe works for this. I don't imagine it helps much at higher levels when you can't afford to be hit more than a couple of times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Will I get flamed if I say, that combat system Diablo III need's Kingdoms of Amalur combat system but with amount of enemies of Diablo 3 at same time?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Yeh I'm in hell now with my Wizard. Arcane Orb is just flat out better for taking on elite packs than disintegrate but a red death laser is so much cooler, so I'll struggle on anyway.

Just got lost all my items but a single ring (actually one of my better items). See two random people in my recently played list so I guess they are to blame. Had SMS authentication on too but seems to have done no good.

Be careful y'all!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    They're hard working and prolific buggers, those hackers.

Obscure Node
    - problem -

I have a 35 monk and I'm full on blasting shit. The fast and furious melee is awesome. I'm a little bit into act I nightmare, and rather enjoying myself. However I hear that hell and then inferno are troublesome for melee, especially for monks, and pretty much every late game build I've seen fully focus in defensive abilities. If my only offensive ability is mouse 1 and everything else just focuses on kiting/survivability I don't think I'd enjoy playing at all.

And then there's my 16 wizard. From what I've heard they're good in hell/inferno but I just don't enjoy playing one anywhere near as much as my monk. Pretty much the only time I'm having fun on my wizz is when party'd up with some decent folk.

Should I stick to monk and damn the consequences, or switch to wiz and just play ranged?

you will struggle if you don't run a mainly defensive build, yes. you could still do fine on hell diff aside from some gross elite combinations (vortex/plagued/arcane comes to mind) if your gear is good enough, but inferno will be nigh impossible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    No class is actually "good" in inferno. Hell is fine for a monk, and beating inferno is out of reach for the vast majority of players anyway. Of course you should continue playing with a monk if you're enjoying yourself.

I don't like the concept of inferno. I would recommend just dabbling in act 1 and then skipping it. It doesn't feel right at all and I'm not having any fun even as a demon hunter, solo or in a group. I would have preferred a difficulty for level 60 characters that wasn't just a huge gear check, where you could actually use more than just optimal builds. There are a couple of really cool abilities that unlock late that I will never actually get to use because hell is a pushover and inferno is too punishing.

This all goes back to much more fundamental problems with the game. I'll post about that once I collected my thoughts.

yeah. inferno in and of itself is an awful and obvious gear check. i don't think there's a cogent argument to the contrary and it lends credence to the blizzard rmah conspiracy theories.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Jerusalem View Post
    yeah. inferno in and of itself is an awful and obvious gear check. i don't think there's a cogent argument to the contrary and it lends credence to the blizzard rmah conspiracy theories.
    Conspiracy what? Go check latest Bashiok statements, he says quite clearly that they are adjusting drop rates due to AH being in the game, and obviously will keep in mind what it does to RMAH too.

As for the game, it's mediocre in its gameplay and flavour. I won't discuss the latter part as it's going to boil down to subjectivity, but as for the former, it has a very weak end-game, in the sense that some mob combinations are impossible, itemization is horrible (not in the sense of low drop rates, but in the sense of lack of items with stats to choose from-see Andariel/Lacuni/Boj for basically every dps-, lack of stats to choose from-as a DH there are some slots that I can choose between dex, or more dex, not even crit dmg/AS, not that that would be much better, anyway) and even the gimmicky bad ass specs you could run are just either being nerfed into the ground or are not there (which for balance purposes is good, but it lacks the fun of playing something overpowered and for a game of this type, I've always felt it was needed), 'cause I mean I don't even want the critical mass frost nova spamming Wiz level of overpoweredness, more like the venom hydra level of overpoweredness. If you played D2 and went to Hell, you could totally make some builds and just faceroll a bit but still be vulnerable to dying easily. In D3 -Inferno- your choices are either kite and whittle mob through dying (basically any ranged dps) or just take a few hits and kite (any melee). And you can't even say it's extremely polished or has all the little details down, cause let's be serious, it has an abysmal chat interface, a very buggy AH, lacks any sort of customization beyond the rudimentary kind (hell, you can't even dye legendaries; prepare clown outfits!), etc. Sure, I could ramble on, but what's the point? This doesn't touch the poor crafting, the shallow character development, online only, or many of the other things that are wrong with it. Will it get fixed? Probably, but looking back at WoW it took them 2 expacs to get some of the class balancing right... in PvE, as well as other needed things, but by the time they got it done the magic was already gone (for me, but I was playing since launch). Atm D3 has the newness still making it attractive, but that will wear off, and what will be left?

I'm still banging my head against Diablo on Inferno but that will be done soon and I'm already growing bored of logging in to play it (you can't save your current progress on a quest so you either complete it or it resets, and you don't want to do Izual and Spire all over again to get to Diablo; problem is, Diablo is quite hard in P2 as DH due to clones insta-killing you from range as well as some bugs and random bad combinations like tp+ point blank meteor, so you can't really do anything until you kill him, yay!)

Vampire Plague elites are the reason I won't play my Hellbarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Remember all that bitching about lack of customisation? Turns out that The most common level 60 build in the game is only used by 0.7% of level 60 characters of that class (not including Passive diversity)