Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    There really is a lack of customisation. Yes, there are dozens of different builds, but how many of those actually work? Depending on your class it may be as little as one. The Wizard certainly has only one real build now in Inferno. I want to like D3, but it's trying so hard not to let me:

- Legendary/set items are worthless now. Rares are quite simply better, the fixed properties of leg/set items ruin them. This wasn't so much a problem in D2 when the chance of finding a better rare was slim to none, but now we have a region-wide auction house. 30 seconds searching will reveal a better alternative to a leg/set item. Worse still, the set bonuses are generally awful too.

- The auction house is broken. The economy has been destroyed by the early exploiters flooding it with the game's 'best' items. That makes it difficult for anyone else to make decent money off the auction house and sends prices crazy. Let's also mention the fact that the auction house is still buggy as hell.

- Lack of customisation. Couldn't complain about D3 without mentioning this. The problem here is the lack of anything even resembling balance. Blizzard have a good track record when it comes to balance, so it's a surprise to see just how bad it is in D3. I play a Wizard, 80-90% of my skills (and perhaps 75% of passives) are now entirely worthless (that said, 50-60% of my skills were worthless from the moment I got them), forcing me into one build with perhaps a couple of options on specifics. There are enough skills and there is enough ability to switch them around, but these skills have to be worthwhile on some level.

- Lack of inter-class balance. D3 was designed as a multiplayer game and designed with challenge in mind (the mind of an imbecile, given the implementation, but a mind nonetheless). It needs balance of some kind. Some classes can march into the middle of a pack of mobs and deal absurd damage with near-impunity, some classes get squished if a mob breathes too hard in their direction without any benefits to compensate. There is no balance.

- Lack of 'challenge'. Instead there is RNG frustration. If I meet a certain type of elite mob, it's simply unkillable for myself and my friends. If it isn't avoidable we have to restart the game and hope for a kinder result on the RNG. Inferno difficulty in general is frustrating, too many factors weren't thought through from Hell difficulty, enemies with unavoidable attacks for instance, when these attacks insta-kill you this isn't challenge, it's frustration-inducing. If this were on an optional difficulty setting that wasn't required to enjoy the best the game has to offer, I wouldn't care, but D3's endgame content (ie. gear) exists only on Inferno's later acts.

- Lag. I've been playing a fair few games lately, my usual latency with Battle.net in Europe is the same or higher than my latency with American servers on other games. It's also prone to spiking ping into the thousands. Lag in a single player game, Blizzard's great innovation of 2012.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So you're saying that a maximum of 0.7% of all level 60 Wizards figured out what that perfect build of yours is and the rest are unable to progress?

Here's the rest of Blizzard's new blog post, talking about Legendary items, artisans, difficulty and more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Inferno is outright broken atm really past act 1, I wouldn't expend too much effort on something that is as purely un-fun as it is in the pursuit of the loots.

Spotted this in a Dev post over on the EU forums, which gives some hope:

At the moment we are just still very busy so we are quite happy the the community is very passionate at figuring out the details and sharing those with others so we can prepare messaging and work with the development teams on what we can share with you about the hot topics going around. Talking of which we should have an updates on inferno difficulty, items and many other game design topics early next week.
    Edit: looks like they already spoke about it, see above post.

From that blog, this sounds about right:
    we’d like to shift some of the focus away from survival and more toward using a variety of offensive tactics to succeed. Survival will still be important, but finding ways to maximize your damage while staying alive is more exciting.
    My monk has 50% dodge, 69% mitigation from armour, 55% mitigation on all resists, 20% chance to block 3k damage and about 40k health, but he is almost entirely useless post Act 1 Inferno, I'm also using a very defensive skill spec out of necessity.
    Last edited by Jockie; 28-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    So you're saying that a maximum of 0.7% of all level 60 Wizards figured out what that perfect build of yours is and the rest are unable to progress?
    well, considering only 1.9% of characters have unlocked inferno, the .7% number makes sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Presumably it's the spam blizzard and poison Hydra then run away a lot build that every inferno wizard uses?
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Activated Node
    As a monk playing inferno sometimes solo, sometimes with 1-2 other people, I can say that I have tried multiple builds that work well in different situations, and I am changing up skills and runes every day for fun. Some of these skills might be slightly less viable if you look in terms of pure solo ability of them, but if you play in groups it opens up customization quite a bit. You can align your skills with others you are playing with and end up with some very effective combos. This is from the point of view of some people that can easily do act I inferno and are progressing through the end of act II at the moment with some difficulty.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Presumably it's the spam blizzard and poison Hydra then run away a lot build that every inferno wizard uses?
    Yup, Blizzard removed all of the Wizard's capability to stand and fight for a few seconds, leaving kiting the only way to stay alive. Impossible to stay alive kiting without snaring enemies, blizzard being the only real way to keep enemies snared en mass, hydra being the only way to maintain anything resembling dps without stopping. The specifics I mentioned are a couple of choices in precisely which defensive abilities to use, 4 slots, something like 6 sensible spells to put in them.

SirKicksalot: I must have run over your dog, or burned your house down, something like that. Either that or you're just being hostile for its own sake. Blizzard's context-less statistics are practically meaningless. There may well be classes with some choice on what they can do on Inferno, the Wizard certainly isn't one of them. Hopefully they uber-nerf the DH next, though that video is hardly a good example of the DH's true capabilities, that kind of thing is pretty lame considering how little the DH loses to get that kind of absurd damage.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 28-05-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    All this makes me wanna go play D1 again.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    SirKicksalot: I must have run over your dog, or burned your house down, something like that. Either that or you're just being hostile for its own sake.
    I apologize for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Was thinking about that too. On the other hand I'm not in the mood for its primitive interface...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    I kinda miss how the D1 quests showered you with all kinds of amazing loot. Griswold's Edge, Arkaine's Valor etc. And the variety of spells too, effective ones at that, the best spell was simply the one you found loads of spell tomes to level up. High level fire wall was frankly absurd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Chainlightning casting warrior with Griswold Edge. I remember horrors of enemies overswarming me and interrupting anything I could do.

On additional thought, can you see Diablo 3 not as RPG, since there is practicly no character progression as in traditional rpgs?
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 29-05-2012 at 01:41 AM.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There is a fair amount abstraction of character ability involving numbers, such as your character stats and weapon stats. Insofar as I find the argument of what is and isn't an RPG somewhat tedious, the common thread in CRPGs of all stripes is abstraction of abilities via numbers.

A 2nd edition D&D Fighter has next to no character progression beyond growing stats either. A D&D Mage or Cleric gets access to more abilities as they level can choose the spells they take on a day to day basis, somewhat similar to D3s fast respeccing in practice. Skill trees or similar are not prerequisite for a game to count as having RPG elements.

It's an Action RPG. An action game with RPG elements/mechanics. If you like, think of the word 'action' as being big and the 'RPG' bit being smaller.
    Last edited by arathain; 29-05-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    ACTIONrpg
    Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get my coat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Precisely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    ACTIONrpg
    Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get my coat.

Ironically, Diablo III is a bad 'action' game. Stats and equipment are hugely important, and you can't outplay monsters out of your league. That's why people are complaing about Inferno Act 2.

Almost everyone can play Diablo well if you give him a character with the right build and equipment. Like Magic: The Gathering, it's a 'building' game, not 'playing' game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    So my first 60 was a Barb and Inferno was unplayable and unfun. I rerolled a DH and have now killed every boss but Diablo in inferno and am easily farming elites in ACT IV and Inferno Whimsyshire.

gg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's an interesting question as to whether Diablo 3 is an action-RPG or just an action game. Note that this is conjecture because I haven't played the game. To be an action-RPG we need a player-defined character and a game that responds to the character as defined. Now, the game definitely responds to the character according to definition, but is it player-defined? On one hand it seems that yes it is, since the player chooses the equipment, the skills, and the runes, and this determines how the character interacts with the world. But on the other hand all of these things can be changed at any time. Is this more like a shooter where you choose your equipment before each mission?

Class choice is a permanent choice, but if we allow class choice to be sufficient for something to be an RPG I think we're going to let too many games in. So the question becomes, does the player-definition of a PC have to be mostly permanent for it to count as an RPG?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    It's an interesting question as to whether Diablo 3 is an action-RPG or just an action game.
    No, it's not. It's neither. It's a loot collection game. It's like collecting postage stamps. A slot machine.

Network Hub
    Thank you Blizzard. I am now unable to play your game.

Right now, I'm getting around 400-800ms, but there is unbelievably obscene packet loss, and horribly fluctuating latencies. Which makes the game nigh impossible to play. And this is on the US servers.

I'm haven't tried the EU/Asia servers a lot, but they're giving latencies which are fluctuating even more. Probably due to some ingenious routing from India on both ISPs I use.

Honestly, playing Diablo III SP has been a very trying and depressing experience. I'm seriously considering to crack this game, if a crack ever comes out. Otherwise it'll be a waste of money. A lot of money.