Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Sore Fingers, Starving Brains - I need a Game

So I just recently finished Crysis 1. Loved it - until the aliens showed up. then I tried Mass Effect 1. I like it, but...well, I guess video game RPG's have just begun to feel...false...to me. Like I am playing through someone else's story. Like everything is pre-determined and I am just playing out the script. Like a movie audition, not a game.

I have considered the options in terms of games with real consequences. Outside of the Witcher 2, it seems I have 3 real options:

-Dayz
    -Perpetuum
    -EVE Online

All fine options. Here are my thoughts, and I was hoping for some feedback on each one.

About Perpetuum: I know the community is in need of players. I would love to join. Trouble is, I would need to use an Pad to guide the mech round the map. Too many wrist sprains and problems in times past; kb/m for long periods just is not an option. That said, I am willing to reach out to the keyboard for non-urgent stuff like maps, inventory and that sort of thing. No problem. I just wonder if this will place me at an FPS-like disadvantage in combat and hurt my Corp.

DayZ: See the above. Plus, its only alpha and plagued by all that accompanies it. Might wait for a more stable time period.

EVE: I have always wanted a space combat game. But where most people dream of Tie-Fighter like dogfights in space, I dream of Red Storm Rising-style Submarine Combat: Scans, detection ranges, firing solutions. Cloaking and working for your target. That sort of boring crap. EVE actually seemed to offer some of this. Plus, it definitely hits the real choices and consequences button. My only concerns: Needing a Pad for urgent, WASD type movements, and the game's age. EVE has been around since 2003, and I would hate to see it vanish a year after I join.

So there we have it. If anyone has any thoughts to offer please, as the forum says, speak your brains. And sincerely, thanks, from a gamer starving for intellectual pursuits in games.

Football Manager. Closest thing that matches the ideal game you're looking for.

(I'm only half joking)
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Crusader Kings, Civilization, Mount & Blade, anything non-rts strategy basically. Or you can lose yourself forever to DOTA/fighting games like me.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I started playing around on the trial of EVE Online (which I would recommend) about two days ago... and I can pretty much guarantee that it's not going anywhere soon... any time of the day that I logged in, there was anywhere from 25-40k people online... and it seems pretty thriving. Add to that... the expansion is about to hit this weekend, I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

And I haven't had any issues with controls using a keyboard/mouse. Honestly... I haven't even flown at all manually yet... so that might be the issue. Dunno...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Eve really doesn't offer what you're wanting at all - there are probably a few space games which do (I'm not really qualified to say which and whether they're worth playing) but Eve is really a spreadsheet with some graphics attached to it - everything in Eve revolves around time (real time - not played time) too which means in order to be useful, you need to be a subscriber for months...

Mad suggestion but one with minimal cost to you - have to tried Star Trek Online?

If you're looking for a rpg with consequence try Alpha Protocol. Terribly broken but it takes player consequence to the point that it becomes a bit silly. Having a character point out you shaved your beard off for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Gotta second the FM suggestion. One of the deepest games out there.

Also recommend Gal Civ II
    Last edited by Sparkasaurusmex; 19-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    So I just recently finished Crysis 1. Loved it - until the aliens showed up. then I tried Mass Effect 1. I like it, until the aliens showed up.
    Sorry, don't mind me.

I have considered the options in terms of games with real consequences. Outside of the Witcher 2, it seems I have 3 real options:

-Dayz
    -Perpetuum
    -EVE Online
    EVE is not ninja fast, except when it is and your life ends in seconds? But generally there is lots of game with no sense of pace at all.

I used to fall asleep playing eve, right at my keyboard.

But you want consequence?
    A hardcore survival Minecraft? Set yourself a goal (an underwater complex where you can grow crops) and try and achieve it in 1 life. And it can totally be played with a controller.

How about a game where your persistence is measured only in hours? Much like the Witcher, Alpha Protocol is watching your every response and is waiting to drop the consequence bombs later, but play it on a pad on easy so its not the combat that strains you but the conversations. Deus Ex Human Revolution is probably quite hard without full dexterity, maybe skip that one?

Temple of Elemental Evil is turn based, its a game where you wont really steer the narrative that much, but your dexterity lowering as you succumb to the mummies curse need not concern you.

MY ULTIMATE SUGGESTION!
    Bloodbowl Legendary
    Its turn based (but you have a turn time limit) but the mad skills you need to do are in your head, planning a flanking run to loose the ball, push and opponent into the ball so it falls of the pitch and use your super fast sure handed player to pick it up and secure a touchdown before your opponent saw it coming. Better yet, play in on of the Rock Paper Shotgun leagues and rise from strength to strength, then have it all fall apart when you star players get murdered by a goblin with a chainsaw.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Eve isn't going anywhere soon (by which I mean it's not going to disappear, in case there's any confusion), and there's no WASD involved.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    As always thanks for the advice, everyone. Still strongly considering EVE Online as an option. I work a job that on Saturdays would drive Sloth to boredom, and I just discovered Infinite Black for Android today. FTP MMO that, while it does not compare to EVE, reminds me somewhat of the things I have heard about EVE.

Still looking for real choices and real consequences. And there are excellent suggestions here. So thanks a lot for that. Looks like I have some decisions to make about the direction I want my gaming to take.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Still looking for real choices and real consequences.
    No joke, Football Manager does this part as well as anything

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    No joke, Football Manager does this part as well as anything
    Wasn't there an article a while ago about how FM is basically an RPG, but instead of playing a person, your 'character' is a club?

I'd recommend FM, too, but it is a bit daunting to get into, especially if you haven't much of an interest in football. Think of it as a challenge?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Or a manager, able to get hired yourself. After all good run you may get head hunted.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hearts of Iron 2.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.