Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by psyk View Post
    Same with any other online game the one bonus with D3 is the fact you would have to be a massive idiot to use the RMAH to try and shift stolen stuff.
    Maybe I've just missed something, but how would you tell the items were stolen? Is there some sort of identifier?

Network Hub
    I think blizz are tracking pretty much everything and it will be easy to see who was in the "hacked" accounts where they sent the items and what happened to the items after that. So using the RMAH would just be asking to get busted in real life through credit card use (where we are back to carders but meh)
    Last edited by psyk; 20-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Banned
    psyk, please just leave instead of spewing bullshit. All you've done is spread rumours, misinformation and your assumptions in this thread. Try to at least have some basis of foundation for the accusations you're hurling at the people who've been hacked.

Network Hub
    Seriously you made this thread with no info in it just a link (surprised it wasn't deleted as spam to be honest) which claims that blizz has been hacked with no proof but no one else is allowed to assume anything?

Where is the misinfo i posted? what rumours have I spread? please answer the earlier post as well where i asked you to bold the parts in my posts you quoted that backed up your accusation in the post here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post132017)

How about you go back to the ban rock you crawled from you TROLOLOLOLO

EDIT
    I guess "I think" is being morphed in to the new "I know" or people are forgetting the meaning of it.

EDIT
    To be honest I think you make these threads to advertise your shitty youtube channel.
    Last edited by psyk; 20-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    psyk, please just leave instead of spewing bullshit. All you've done is spread rumours, misinformation and your assumptions in this thread. Try to at least have some basis of foundation for the accusations you're hurling at the people who've been hacked.
    Look, the guy is annoying, but that doesn't mean he's completely wrong.

Social Engineering is the #1 way people get their accounts compromised. An actual hack is rather unlikely.
    It could of course be that someone found a weakness in their account/password retrieval mechanic or something similar. It's within the realm of possibility, but blizzard is hardly a stranger to online games and has been a high profile target for a decade.

Right now it seems to be a bog standard case of phishing/malware maybe with some identity theft thrown in, but unless someone drops a bomb it isn't reasonable to blame blizzard for the compromised accounts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by psyk View Post
    Seriously you made this thread with no info in it just a link (surprised it wasn't deleted as spam to be honest) which claims that blizz has been hacked with no proof but no one else is allowed to assume anything?

Where is the misinfo i posted? what rumours have I spread? please answer the earlier post as well where i asked you to bold the parts in my posts you quoted that backed up your accusation in the post here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post132017)

How about you go back to the ban rock you crawled from you TROLOLOLOLO

EDIT
    I guess "I think" is being morphed in to the new "I know" or people are forgetting the meaning of it.

EDIT
    To be honest I think you make these threads to advertise your shitty youtube channel.
    He has a thing against blizzard, hence any excuse to look down on D3 or show how hard up he is for Torchlight. Came on ignore long ago.

Basically...like any popular online game, or anything popular that is online is targeted by hackers. Better start the crusade against everything else.

To remove my authenticator from my B.Net, I had to either provide Photo ID or my CD-Key from classic WoW or more. And even if your account got stripped, they are very good about recovering items. Hell this happened to someone in WoW while they were out of town and they had all their stuff recovered by the time they came home (1-2 days when it was reported) since guildies reported it. Min 1.2 million D3 players are Annual Pass, WoW players. Always been a problem and they have come a long way to b

You will require an Authenticator to use the RMAH, for those that missed that. This rule was already going to be in place.

This won't happen to Torchlight, because the phishers will not waste their time. Or items will be duped and no one will care. Your link has nothing to do about the actual game getting hacked. "B.Net accounts have been hacked: D3 stashes stripped"

You understand that if always-on was not there, this same EXACT problem would still be here. Phishing for something for your crusade.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    psyk, please just leave instead of spewing bullshit. All you've done is spread rumours, misinformation and your assumptions in this thread.
    Much like you then.

The D3 logins are done through BattleNet, it's an assumption on my part that they use the same code to authenticate the in-game login, but a sensible one. In which case we should also be seeing a massive up-spike in WoW hacks if the BattleNet authentication has been broken. Especially since currently that's a far more lucrative market. That doesn't appear to be the case.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Newest Blizzard games use a Steam Guard like security also, to add.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    If was a very cynical man, I would suggest that Blizzard has zero reason to stop people selling items stolen from other users.
    They still get a cut regardless of it's source.
    I would disagree with that, I think it would be in Blizz's best interest to smash anything that they known is stolen and being sold on the RMAH for the simple fact of keeping its reputation. If it gets a shit reputation for being full of stolen things, it might stop people wanting to deal with it, which I'm sure Blizz don't really want.

edit: I would however be interested in the legal implications of stolen virtual items being sold. Would it still be theft if it's a virtual item? Has there been any precedent on this issue? I'm no expert in law myself (having an A2-level education in it right now) so I couldn't make 100& sure predictions on it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Morvan
    I know......was fun though *hangs head in shame*
    Now back to the Boston wilderness to grind some more humours XD

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    You understand that if always-on was not there, this same EXACT problem would still be here.
    If always-on were not there, people playing the game in single player (by far the majority) would not be vulnerable to any of this.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicolor View Post
    I would disagree with that, I think it would be in Blizz's best interest to smash anything that they known is stolen and being sold on the RMAH for the simple fact of keeping its reputation. If it gets a shit reputation for being full of stolen things, it might stop people wanting to deal with it, which I'm sure Blizz don't really want.

edit: I would however be interested in the legal implications of stolen virtual items being sold. Would it still be theft if it's a virtual item? Has there been any precedent on this issue? I'm no expert in law myself (having an A2-level education in it right now) so I couldn't make 100& sure predictions on it.
    I do not really see how the end user could distinguish between items that are stolen or otherwise.

In the case of legal implications I would think it would fall into the same sort of grey area as piracy it technically isn't theft, it is simply a copy of some binary data, which basically meaningless without context.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    If always-on were not there, people playing the game in single player (by far the majority) would not be vulnerable to any of this.
    We won't and never will know what the majority will be. 12 years later. More people with broadband, more people playing games, more online. Different playing habits. We will never know either way.

I must have missed the thread title and link talking about people that are exclusively playing offline are being stripped of items and gold. But it was for some reason talking about always-on being there to help prevent dupes and hacks of characters (levels, skills, etc) and items, but was really about compromised Battle.Net accounts.

While always-on has no effect how how I would play D3, I understand the group that would play it offline, single player. The game is setup to play along and i spend 50% of my time solo with it. It is fun to play solo and made to be played that way. Should have made it like D2 was. Other than their age old infranstructure being hackable over and over, think they had the time to implement a new system.

Network Hub
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149618382

I posted this in the other thread but it bears repeating: It seems like the cause for this may not be Blizzard themselves, but people getting compromised by malware from the Diablo 3 Incgamers site. If any of you have visited that recently, I would get doing some virus scanning.

Network Hub
    Was just about to post the same thing.

EDIT
    someone in the mmorpg thread where I saw that link had a good point, if bnet has been hacked why are no other bnet games having the same problem?
    Last edited by psyk; 20-05-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Network Hub
    Yeah that IS a good point, why wouldn't other BNET games, particularly WoW, be having issues as well?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah that IS a good point, why wouldn't other BNET games, particularly WoW, be having issues as well?
    Simply put, I imagine people wanting to make real world money from games like WoW have far simpler and more lucrative ways of doing so, and widespread account hacking to steal items to sell at the auction house is just a bad way of doing it - but I've heard of plenty of people who've bought gold from gold sellers having their accounts hacked, so clearly it is a thing that happens, but in a different direction, and from people who get no sympathy for doing visibly stupid things with their account security.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Simply put, I imagine people wanting to make real world money from games like WoW have far simpler and more lucrative ways of doing so, and widespread account hacking to steal items to sell at the auction house is just a bad way of doing it - but I've heard of plenty of people who've bought gold from gold sellers having their accounts hacked, so clearly it is a thing that happens, but in a different direction, and from people who get no sympathy for doing visibly stupid things with their account security.
    WoW account hacking happens, A LOT. Had a small handful of friends who got their accounts stripped of anything of value.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    True, but the point is that if the attacks were due to social engineering, not actual hacks, then it isn't Blizzard's fault but the stupidity of players, like listening to someone who says "Press ALT+F4 to enter god mode."

The original point of the thread was that this is entirely Blizzard's fault. If it is indeed an actual hack, then sure, let the criticism flow. But if it was due to social engineering, I can't see how you can blame Blizzard.

Banned
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149618382

I posted this in the other thread but it bears repeating: It seems like the cause for this may not be Blizzard themselves, but people getting compromised by malware from the Diablo 3 Incgamers site. If any of you have visited that recently, I would get doing some virus scanning.
    And thus it begins. This shit happened with Rift, too. Randomly pointing fingers at sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    WoW account hacking happens, A LOT. Had a small handful of friends who got their accounts stripped of anything of value.
    WoW accounts get hacked 6 months after a person has played on them, the vast majority of the time. (Source: Personal experience and seeing a LOT of people saying they came back to their account after a few months and finding they'd been hacked.) If that's not an indication of something fishy at Blizzard, I don't know what is.