Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar

Need new mouse, recommendations desired!

My mouse has died. It was a good mouse, but lasted just over a year until its right button unceremoniously died on me. I paid 17 for it, bundled with a mouse pad. I liked that mouse. Alas, I can like it no more.

That is why I am coming to you, good people of RPSia. Because you all use mice. And have nice shiny ones, I imagine.

My knowledge of mice is pretty limited, I suppose. I have no real budget in place, but I'd prefer to spend sub 50 (~$75-80). I don't care much for game profiles, although having additional buttons on the side is quite nice for things like Mumble and what not. I mostly want something that is sturdy and will last some time. Ideally, something in the middle that is neither too limited, nor too overbearing, as much as a mouse can be. Simple, but not lacking. In terms of design, I don't want anything with tribal decorations with enough LEDs to light the London sky-line, but I also don't overly care if the mouse itself is good. The only reservation I have is that I'm not only a lefty, but one of those weird ones who uses the mouse in the left-hand anyhow. A lot of mice are obviously designed for right handed people and whilst the newly-deceased (that's not quite true - I can still use it, sans easy right clicking) was too, it wasn't too bad, my hand still comfortably fit round it.

I know that comes off as quite listy, but I also know that I don't want something that has to be replaced in 13 months time. Just a solid mouse that works, really.

Thank you muchly in advance.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

So you're looking for:

Price range-ish: 50
    more than a standard amount of buttons but nothing stupid
    No stupid decorations but has to look nice
    is a lefty but can use a right handed layout of mice?
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Essentially. The fifty is more of an upper-limit, but if there is something truly fantastic that's 51, I'm not going to ignore it. Button-wise, the one I have has dpi change on the go and two side buttons, so something around that is fine. Don't really care about aesthetics, so long as it's not completely gaudy and yes, any mouse is fine so long as it's not seemingly unusable by someone left-handed.

Network Hub
    I really like my razer imperator my steel series ikari was a nice basic mouse to but I had some problems with the connection in the mouse failing on both the ones I brought.

lol razer has both the things you don't want but they are subtle.

The logo led slowly flashes on and off or you can have it off altogether the scroll wheel is always on but can also be turned off.
    Last edited by psyk; 20-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Roccat Kova + Will do the trick perfect for ya, it's brilliant and can be used either right handed or left handed which is a big plus, it's 40 searching with google. And of course, the lights can be switched off.

I bought one of these last year and still very happy with it - CM Storm Sentinel 40 or you may find it cheaper on promotion from Overclockers in their weekly discounts.

Though it's a bit scalloped on the left hand side, designed for the thumb of a right handed person using those two buttons, this may be an issue depending on what you're used to using left-handed.

5600dpi is way more than I ever use but you can set what you want on-the fly from the preset buttons. as you're used to.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 20-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks guys, appreciate this so far. Looking to get something fairly quickly, ie. by the end of the week, so this is all good. The Kova I've seen elsewhere and I'm sure on here too, so it's definitely making its rounds. Cheers all.

Well. I'm a bit of a Roccat Fan boy, I've got my self the Kave 5.1 and the old Kone mouse. Will be getting a keyboard from them when my G15 dies

Banned
    I was going to recommend a Microsoft Sidewinder gaming mouse which is probably the greatest gaming mouse to have ever existed but it seems they have gone extinct and are only for ridiculous sums or cheap but used on amazon.

If you can track one down you wont be disappointed.

RAT 5's are pretty cheep, saw one the other day for 40... although gaudy, but worth a look: http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat5.htm (don't buy it from there, way overpriced). The adjustability (both in weight and size, plus some extra panelling opinions such as palm and pinky rests come with it) is a big plus. The ones that Slick and Colonel J recommended both look pretty nice. Also worth looking at the various Razer options out there.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I am a Razer enthusiast and am still enjoying my Deathadder.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Microsoft Sidewinder
    Yeah, it looks like the ones you can buy new are either crazy expensive or comparatively beaten. Still, some of them do look understandable crazy awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMaverik View Post
    RAT 5's
    I almost want one so that I can whisper into it at night saying "Autobots, transform and roll out!" *sound effect*

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I am a Razer enthusiast and am still enjoying my Deathadder.
    Looking at it, seems like the pricier models are the better ones (well duh!) but that the price for those is considerably over 50?

So far, the Roccat is winning. Your input is all greatly appreciated though :)