Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Virus

Network Hub

Anti-Virus

My Kaspersky Anti-Virus is up for its yearly renewal again and I was wondering if I should bother? I was reading around and some people don't even bother using a anti-virus program anymore and I was thinking the same thing. I mean I really don't download anything dodgy anymore and I certainly haven't had a virus on my machine in years.

Whenever this is due to the anti-virus working(Probably not as it usually tells me if I had a virus, I think) or me not downloading anything suspicious I just don't know.

Tell me, do you use anti-virus? Shall I keep using it? is it worth the yearly sub and system hog? I'm in two minds at the moment.

Network Hub
    I've been using Avast's Free Edition for like 5 years now. And I've never experienced a virus in my system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I reckon ALL the paid AV products are snake oil - I've used Microsoft's Security Essentials on over 100 PCs now and I've seen not one virus on any of them.

If you intend to actively seek-out viruses (e.g. download pirated games etc.) it MIGHT be worth getting one of the big hitters like Kaspersky, simply because they are a bit more aggressive with the updates. For a regular PC user tho, they're all a waste of money

and - indeed - to justify their cost they're all bloated PC crippling shit too

p.s. if you never received EXE files from other people - never connect-up other peoples portable drives - never download 'dodgy' stuff, I'd actually say you don't need an AV product at all tbh - and your system will go faster as a result :)

In just under 3 years this PC has produced just 3 virus alerts, all related to the files I keep on my 'toolbox' flashdrive which include some things like WGA removal tools and Windows Activation Tools (useful when the licence code has been scrubbed-off the base of laptops -honest!)
    Last edited by trjp; 20-11-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I reckon ALL the paid AV products are snake oil - I've used Microsoft's Security Essentials on over 100 PCs now and I've seen not one virus on any of them.
    +1 to MSE. Clean, efficient and doesn't get in the way. Also free.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Thanks for the replys. I think i'm going to ditch Kaspersky from now on. I had a look at the Microsoft security essentials and it looks like the thing i'm looking for as i'm still not sure about not using any anti-virus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've used AVGs free version for about five/six years across five machines. Never once had a virus. Other machines where used by people less experienced than me (parents) and still no virus.

I wouldn't go as far as to not use an antivirus, but I wouldn't pay for one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I've been using MSE for 2 years now, no complaints whatsoever.

Banned
    I used to go with Avast for a while which I thought was ok, but of late I've just gone with MSE like a few others it seems.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Agree with the rest, been riding the internet tubes without an antivirus for 11 years. Implementing best practices and a strong firewall are enough.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Banned
    I'm on COMODO, because I wanted their firewall and they threw in the anti-virus for free.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Whatever you do, don't get Bitdefender because it will fuck your computer up. I made the mistake of buying it and not knowing it was subscription based with auto renewal, and there is no normal way to cancel it. I had to make my paypal block any transactions with them and contact the Bitdefender support to cancel it.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    Agree with the rest, been riding the internet tubes without an antivirus for 11 years. Implementing best practices and a strong firewall are enough.
    What firewall do you use out of interest?

MSE here too. Tried many but Security Essentials is the least intrusive one and also puts least stress of my system.

Yet another vote for MSE - it works quietly, reliably and free-ly.

Although I remember one wag at the time of its release claiming it was like putting the hens in charge of the hen-coop.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    This, since I started building my own rigs about ten years ago I never used any AV software. Completely unnecessary if you have half a brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    I've been using MSE for 2 years now, no complaints whatsoever.
    This. It's lightweight, easy to use, and it's made by Microsoft so it's not nagware.

EDIT: For Win8, Windows Defender is actually now the latest version of MSE.

If you don't torrent, there's not a whole lot of reason to run av at all. Just scan your system every so often, double check everything you download, and generally don't do anything stupid. Running an av program will only slow you down.
    For when I need to charge into the fray, I actually have an entirely separate computer that runs linux. That's the best thing you can do to your rig if you're scared of viruses- stop running windows.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I've been using the free Avira for some years, mainly because its detection gets some of the highest test scores, but I'm getting a bit fed up with the nag pop ups, also because some of them are for some business card deal which just seems spammy. Besides, the installer for the most recent version is 100+ mb. which is a bit ridiculous for a virus checker.

I really only need an on-demand scanner, but I can't find any. They all have all sorts of other crap now.

Maybe I should give MSE another try. It doesn't get very good test scores, but it seems to be working okay for people anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The 'test scores' are really nonsense - viruses aren't really the big problem anymore anyway, spyware and malware are and that's a different game entirely.

Malware is a problem in that a lot of AV doesn't even consider it a threat - I once ran into a system which had a 'hijacker' fake anti-virus installed which was refusing to let the owner use the system until they paid $39.99 to 'remove viruses' (which weren't real of course). Norton - fully paid up - was sitting there ignoring this thing - which had almost completely stopped the PC from working (it broke the link to .exe files so nothing would execute from Start Menus etc.) - a Norton scan found 'nothing'!!

I've seen similar things with other AVs - and thus I tend to think you need a basic/solid AV (MSE) and a decent scanning anti-malware (Malwarebytes is probably still best - abeit they're doing their best to spoil it with junkware and stuff).

Well, unless you intend to spend your life looking at '0 day' releases (the only place the really nasty new stuff ever appears) then you may want 'belt and braces' support - but in reality what you really want is Sandboxie :)

Network Hub
    Well I uninstalled Kaspersky and installed MSE and its probably the best thing i'v done system wise to my computer in ages. It boots up a hell of a lot quicker and my harddrive doesn't seem to be spinning all the time. I should of got rid of the shitty bloatware years ago. Thanks for all the suggestions.