Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

F*** PC IM GETTING A MAC. Maybe.

So,

I'm considering doing something crazy.

My PC has either power pack troubles in which case I'll buy a new one and all will be okay, or, it's another crap AMD video card loosing it's shit and it's time to rejoin the lovely green Nvidia tribe via way of a sexy 670.

Or the coin could land on it's side.

I could splash out on a Mac.

A nice neat Mac with one of those lovely screens and what not.

It costs a lot you say? It's top of range shit I tell you.

Mac has no gaemz? Bootcamped instalation of windows I say.

Macs aren't reliable you say? Shit hot customer service they do, no waiting weeks for an RMA.

And besides all I'm playing at the minute is Diablo Triple (by playing in I mean staring at the login screen) and that runs on Mac OS whatever just fine. The OS seems a doozy when compared with windows too. Shit seems to work and it has a metric ton of productivity software the likes of which Microsoft would charge you an arm and a leg for...

So talk to me people.

Any Mac gamers out there in RPS land?

I'm not exactly seeing any downsides here bar cost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Microsoft would charge an arm and a leg for productivity software, yes, but with a Mac, they already have :/ I don't see any reason for anyone to buy a Mac over a PC unless they plan on producing audio. Very little in the way of hardware is top of the line with a Mac.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

I have a mac laptop of some sort and I hate it so much. The OS is fine and all but the hardware is terrible and has broken so many times. Definelty go for an extended warranty and even then it doesnt cover the battery or powercord, both of which have failed on me twice now.

The customer service is pretty good but only if you are under warranty, after that you are just buying replacement parts that cost too much and come with an added labor charge.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I would rather make a powerful (yet still cheaper) hackintosh than buy a mac, but do as you please.

Network Hub
    Macs aren't "top of the range", you can build a PC with the exact same hardware (or better) for about half the price. You are literally paying through the nose for branding, that is all.

And the tech service is usually a hassle, atleast from personal experience.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Really, I can see why people would go linux for more freedom, or buy into a closed platform mobile phone, but a closed platform main system? Just daft. The main argument for someone buying a mac is "That what I'm used to", that's a strong argument, does that apply to you?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

In all honesty I can understand the MAC hate, after all I personally think it's a tad expensive. However, its all up to you. I've got many friends that use macs for the audio side but they also just feel more comfortable with a mac than they do with windows and they all use boot camp with a pirated version of windows for when games don't have OSX support.

but If I'm honest I really just think you should just restart your PC completely. I.e. chuck out everything except the HDDs. Get a shiny new mobo, with the new Ivy bridge processors the 670 and a decent PSU with some top quality corsair DDR3 ram and you'll be away.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi View Post
    Macs aren't "top of the range", you can build a PC with the exact same hardware (or better) for about half the price. You are literally paying through the nose for branding, that is all.
    Branding and slickness, but essentially yeah.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

As others have said hardware wise, it's not top of the range. Build quality tends to be above avarage to be fair, and the customer service is on the whole better. Gaming on Mac is also always growing, most indie games come out or end up offering mac support, all of Valve's games and quite a few other triple A's (I believe Ubisoft are pushing out Mac support more and more).

You will however be paying too much for the hardware you receive, build quality aside, and most of that is just for the mac brand.

Mac's are great for audio design, better than PC's for graphical stuff (except 3D and video editing, mostly due to power constraints if you're going for game related stuff) but for gaming, stick to PC, get an Nvidia card, get a Mac like PC for half the price or a mac priced PC for twice the power.
    Disclaimer: The above statement or statements are most likely completely incorrect, incoherent and a little insulting to boot. Please disregard immediately and contact the closest person or persons with the ability and will to restore your faith in humanity.

Activated Node
    Hey, i own a macbook (sound designing et al.), bootcamping Windows, works like a charm. Windows still does bug more often than OSX, but less things to play on OSX. :)

I've got an '06 iMac for Logic mainly originally, now I have got lazy it plays plenty of games ok bootcamped and runs most MacOS natives perfectly well. The only place they fall short really is the GPU since they tend to stuff mobile ones in them for heat reasons (this is the worst thing!) Although mine plays Tribes:Ascend fine, Blacklight fine, haven't had the balls to try The Witcher 2 but I can imagine that would be a slide show, so I grabbed that on 360.
    BUT they do have lovely monitors (if you are splurging my buddies 27 has a 2560x1440 which looks great, think this is partly why they cost so much.) I am a big fan of OSX now too, it's nice.

Also, so long as you get your ram from Crucial/somewhere else and not them when you come to upgrade or when you buy it if you upgrade it then. They are perfectly fine, but their increment costs are psychotic. Also, replacing the Hard Drive if it goes awry is really quite easy and I had to do that 3 months ago, but aside from the ram and HD you can't really replace anything else realistically.
    Last edited by shaydeeadi; 20-05-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Extra stuff

I have a 2006 Macbook Pro, and I have mixed feelings about it. I bought it because a guy at work sold it to me ridiculously cheap. I love the slimness of it, and the keyboard / trackpad are great. However, I have had hardware issues. I'm on my third battery, as they bulge out after about 2 years and no longer fit in the case. I'm on my second power adapter as the original frayed. I had to replace a temp sensor and i'm getting GPU glitches since. It gets absurdly hot. I get tiny electric shocks of it on one corner. The display panel is fading in two bars in the middle, giving an uneven picture.

That said, its been my main machine for about 4 years now, so it's had a lot of use. I can't say any other laptop would have stood up better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Honestly, I can't wait to ditch my AMD card, but it hasn't impaired my thinking yet.

Mac customer service is better? Maybe.
    Does it take longer to be fixed and cost more? Oh yes. With a Mac you can't just slap in a generic part, oh no no, you need the special 3x the price Apple approved part. Shipped from deepest Mongolia by a sherpa with a dodgy leg.

Quote Originally Posted by roryok View Post
    I have a 2006 Macbook Pro, and I have mixed feelings about it. I bought it because a guy at work sold it to me ridiculously cheap. I love the slimness of it, and the keyboard / trackpad are great. However, I have had hardware issues. I'm on my third battery, as they bulge out after about 2 years and no longer fit in the case. I'm on my second power adapter as the original frayed. I had to replace a temp sensor and i'm getting GPU glitches since. It gets absurdly hot. I get tiny electric shocks of it on one corner. The display panel is fading in two bars in the middle, giving an uneven picture.

That said, its been my main machine for about 4 years now, so it's had a lot of use. I can't say any other laptop would have stood up better.
    Woah, how many other laptops have you owned? Because it sounds like you must have had some terrible experiences if you think that little laundry list of problems is acceptable.
    My parents have been using a dell daily for about 6 years and the only problem they've had was when they broke the space bar trying to clean under the keys. I've had a frickin' 200 netbook I've been using as my main machine for almost a year and the only problem I've had are a couple blue screens from a dodgy driver.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 21-05-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Only an idiot will get an Apple product.

I heard from someone that Apple customer service replaces faulty parts with new ones if the product's under warranty for free, rather than repair them, that true?

Network Hub
    Thinking it through. Replacing a card with a 670 or learning a whole new operating system that is different enough that it will be quite frustrating for a while, not to mention the additional
    what AMD card are you having problems with? I've used them exclusively for 6-7 years and had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Only an idiot will get an Apple product.

I heard from someone that Apple customer service replaces faulty parts with new ones if the product's under warranty for free, rather than repair them, that true?
    Yes, but its a hassle getting them to do just that. the repair store where I brought in one of the bulge power packs, actually told me to call apple themselves so they can give me a new one. What. the.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I've considered taking that path because the iMac is one of the better all-in-one machines out there.

But I didn't. OSX is backwards, particularly the Finder. I'm not aware of any other modern OS that can't sort folders first without resorting to tricks or 3rd party software. By default the OS uses mouse acceleration (like an annoying console game), and last time I used OSX the only way to turn it off was via a cmd line hack (which wouldn't stick on reboot for some reason). Apple's support for hardware accelerated games is backwards. The Dock is friggin' ridiculous. That constant menu bar up the top is bullshit. What other OS lets you close every single window of an application yet still leave the application running? Answer: none that are any good or make any sense.

Sure, you can bootcamp them... but then you've paid for an incredibly expensive PC in a small case which pulls crap framerates because it relies on mobile hardware to keep heat down. Great, you've got a massive screen with a huge screen res. But you can't get even remotely playable framerates with a mobile GPU on most games, so it's pointless!

I don't like the irrational hatred Apple gets over the iPhone or iPad, which to be fair are very good devices, but OSX is a backwards abomination. The only redeeming features are the file system and the Unix kernel... none of which most of the Apple users will probably know or care about because Apple go to great lengths to hide them.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I've considered taking that path because the iMac is one of the better all-in-one machines out there.

But I didn't. OSX is backwards, particularly the Finder. I'm not aware of any other modern OS that can't sort folders first without resorting to tricks or 3rd party software. By default the OS uses mouse acceleration (like an annoying console game), and last time I used OSX the only way to turn it off was via a cmd line hack (which wouldn't stick on reboot for some reason). Apple's support for hardware accelerated games is backwards. The Dock is friggin' ridiculous. That constant menu bar up the top is bullshit. What other OS lets you close every single window of an application yet still leave the application running? Answer: none that are any good or make any sense.

Sure, you can bootcamp them... but then you've paid for an incredibly expensive PC in a small case which pulls crap framerates because it relies on mobile hardware to keep heat down. Great, you've got a massive screen with a huge screen res. But you can't get even remotely playable framerates with a mobile GPU on most games, so it's pointless!

I don't like the irrational hatred Apple gets over the iPhone or iPad, which to be fair are very good devices, but OSX is a backwards abomination. The only redeeming features are the file system and the Unix kernel... none of which most of the Apple users will probably know or care about because Apple go to great lengths to hide them.
    Here, here! I'm always amazed when people cite OSX as being more usable than Windows 7. And don't even get me started on XCode, it's a wonder anyone can make a usable program with that piece of shit.