Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Network Hub

How can anyone play a console?

I bought a PS3 yesterday to play MGS4 as I loved those games as a kid (though not anymore lol) and the graphics are just the worst. It looks like a game on the PC from around 2003 and that goes for everything else I've played. I decided to get BF3 for a laugh to compare it and it's as if you run BFBC2 on low at like a 600P resolution. Games constantly have aliasing issues with jaggies everywhere and they constantly have slow downs, like all the time.... and all the time during in game cutscenes too. What I cannot stand the most though is the low frame rates, you can see how choppy it is, it's hard to describe but it's like a slow motion effect on all the time.

I just don't get how all these review sites can stand to play consoles and I don't understand how they cannot see the game running at like 20-30FPS. Just makes me sick...

Oh and I played MGS4, realised how bad the story was in MGS games and ruined my childhood memories of MGS and how amazing I thought it was.

I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and a computer. I buy games for my PS3 and Xbox because (a) they have exclusives that are awesome, (b) I love lounging on my couch and playing the games and (c) they have multiple functions they serve in my living room (DVD/Blu-ray player, Stero, radio station, Netflix viewer).

I prefer to play PC most of the time, but consoles are also worthwhile investments.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Fenix View Post
    (c) they have multiple functions they serve in my living room (DVD/Blu-ray player, Stereo, radio station, Netflix viewer).
    Are you trying to imply that PCs can't do these things?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Are you trying to imply that PCs can't do these things?
    [and @ Bungle as well]

Not at all. I'm fully aware that PCs are technologically superior to consoles. I was simply stating my preferences and why I have two consoles.

I'm also aware that I can hook up my PC to a television. I just don't really care to do that. I like my computer where it is, and I like my consoles where they are.
    Last edited by Hal Fenix; 23-05-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Fenix View Post
    I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and a computer. I buy games for my PS3 and Xbox because (a) they have exclusives that are awesome, (b) I love lounging on my couch and playing the games and (c) they have multiple functions they serve in my living room (DVD/Blu-ray player, Stero, radio station, Netflix viewer)
    It sounds like the only thing about your console that is better than the PC is that your console is in your family room, hooked up to your TV. You could hook your PC up to your TV instead, you know...

Graphics are not the most important aspect of games. Some people can look past "poor" graphics, to gameplay and things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I bought PS3 to play Valkirya Chronicles. Later I tried other games like Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Resonance of Fate. Well, I sold PS3 soon after so you can guess how it went. VC is ok but for a tactical game it lacks staying power( a sloid randomised skimrish) and I see noreason to replay it, everything else I thought was meh, sometimes pretty but boring.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 22-05-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Admittedly, consoles are best for TV/couch gameplay. The other day I was setting up Div2 on my HTPC, spent about an hour configuring the controller with a remapper, playing with analog sensitivities till it felt right, trying to troubleshoot why it kept crashing (for some reason outputting audio through my video card's HDMI port has added extra issues for a couple games), and eventually gave up because the text was just too small.

With a console you don't have to worry about any of that, there is a total of one hardware configuration that the game needs to worry about, and the gameplay and display aspects are suited for a far away TV and a controller.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have a PS3 and a Wii, but I don't own a single game for either that I could have on PC instead. Funny you mention MGS4. I bought it about a year ago just to use some Best Buy reward zone money before it expired, and I haven't even gotten around to it yet. I fully understand how people use consoles as a secondary system. I notice the jaggies and slow down too, but games like RDR and Dark Souls are worth putting up with it. I DON'T understand how people use consoles as a primary system. Every time I see someone talking about how amazing Skyrim looks on Xbox, it just baffles me. Low resolution, 20-30fps, and 20 second load times? Really?!?!?
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Can't talk about the graphics because I don't have consoles but regarding the FPS: on the few PC games that I played that were capped at 30 FPS, it was truly a terrible experience, to the point that I didn't even play the game. That's the only thing I don't get, how people can play at 30 FPS. It feels completely awful.
    Maybe I notice it more because I play mostly at higher frames but for console players, who are more used to it, maybe they don't notice it as much

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Because high res graphics are an aquired taste, believe it or not, and there are many superb gaming experiences on the consoles. Format doesn't matter. Games do.

Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    I bought a PS3 yesterday to play MGS4 as I loved those games as a kid (though not anymore lol) and the graphics are just the worst. It looks like a game on the PC from around 2003 and that goes for everything else I've played. I decided to get BF3 for a laugh
    You bought a PS3 without doing some research or even bothering to look at screenshots of how games looked on the system? And then proceeded to buy BF3 just for a laugh? If I actually believed your story I'd say you had more money than sense.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Henke View Post
    You bought a PS3 without doing some research or even bothering to look at screenshots of how games looked on the system? And then proceeded to buy BF3 just for a laugh? If I actually believed your story I'd say you had more money than sense.
    Look at the OP's posting history -- I think he / she is just a troll, to be honest.

Consoles are just for a different genre of games (coming from a PC FPS player) just not FPS's. Sports, driving and exploring games are good on them but nothing else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Any game can be good on console, obviously something like Arma2 is not gonna work (although I've played DayZ with someone who uses a pad), but I don't see why everyone has trouble playing shooters etc on a console. It's not hard to do.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Any game can be good on console, obviously something like Arma2 is not gonna work (although I've played DayZ with someone who uses a pad), but I don't see why everyone has trouble playing shooters etc on a console. It's not hard to do.
    Analog sticks are too slow I always end up looking at a wall.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Analog sticks are too slow I always end up looking at a wall.
    Turn that sensitivity up up up. Obviously I'm not claiming sticks are as accurate as a mouse, but shooters are more than playable on a console, it'll just take time to get use to, as with all things. I'd say I'm reasonably decent with a pad now.

Turn that sensitivity up up up. Obviously I'm not claiming sticks are as accurate as a mouse, but shooters are more than playable on a console, it'll just take time to get use to, as with all things. I'd say I'm reasonably decent with a pad now.
    The question is whether or not you enjoy it. Using a mouse to control the camera is fundamentally satisfying to me. Using thumbsticks to control an FPS game is maddening for me, and I've never been able to do it for more than a few minutes at a time without completely wanting to walk away from the game. I know I could get good at it with practice - that doesn't mean I'd ever find it enjoyable.

Any game can be good on console, obviously something like Arma2 is not gonna work
    Funny you should say that - the best version of Operation Flashpoint was the Xbox release. Not 360 - the original Xbox. It actually included a whole bunch of features that would later get worked into Arma, had a mission editor (albeit slightly cut down), full online play - the works. Much better AI than the PC version too, with some very clever details like headlights actually blinding NPCs, so you could get away with stealing a truck if the glare from the lights blinded enemy patrols long enough for you to slip past.

Don't write off consoles so easily.

Network Hub
    If you like fighting games you pretty much have to have a console to keep up with the genre.