Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Analog sticks are too slow I always end up looking at a wall.
    Turn that sensitivity up up up. Obviously I'm not claiming sticks are as accurate as a mouse, but shooters are more than playable on a console, it'll just take time to get use to, as with all things. I'd say I'm reasonably decent with a pad now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    What about the 'comfy couch' argument do you not like? Sometimes you want to play from a couch.
    It's trivially easy to hook your PC up to your TV these days. No reason not to play from your couch, if you want.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I couldn't give a fig about graphics, or the control scheme, or indeed how the PC is superior in almost every single way that matters. My concerns lie with consoles being closed platforms with a market controlled exclusively by their creators. As such we have to rely on them to recognise talent. The PC is a free market, anyone can create and publish a game, and they don't the permission of one monolithic corporation to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Fenix View Post
    I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and a computer. I buy games for my PS3 and Xbox because (a) they have exclusives that are awesome, (b) I love lounging on my couch and playing the games and (c) they have multiple functions they serve in my living room (DVD/Blu-ray player, Stero, radio station, Netflix viewer)
    It sounds like the only thing about your console that is better than the PC is that your console is in your family room, hooked up to your TV. You could hook your PC up to your TV instead, you know...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Because it's fun. Why do YOU play video games?

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    It's trivially easy to hook your PC up to your TV these days. No reason not to play from your couch, if you want.
    Agreed, and I have done so. From my previous example, not all PC games are meant to be played from the couch (UI elements in particular), whereas with consoles that is ensured.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Turn that sensitivity up up up. Obviously I'm not claiming sticks are as accurate as a mouse, but shooters are more than playable on a console, it'll just take time to get use to, as with all things. I'd say I'm reasonably decent with a pad now.
    The question is whether or not you enjoy it. Using a mouse to control the camera is fundamentally satisfying to me. Using thumbsticks to control an FPS game is maddening for me, and I've never been able to do it for more than a few minutes at a time without completely wanting to walk away from the game. I know I could get good at it with practice - that doesn't mean I'd ever find it enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Only time, I'm interested in buying console and playing is for meetings with my friends. I love drinking and gaming, it's more fun for me drunk playing some coop on couch, but on casual day, pc gaming is more rewarding to my self esteem.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I have a PS3 and a Wii, but I don't own a single game for either that I could have on PC instead.
    Yeah. I mean, I own Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3, but then you can't (legally) own that on PC, so the rule still holds.

Quote Originally Posted by LaunchJC View Post
    pc [...] better post-release support)
    What, to make up for releasing the games unfinished and/or sans-QA in the first place?
    Last edited by Rii; 22-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Network Hub
    I love my Super Nintendo.

Oh hey, a thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    Yeah. I mean, I own Deus Ex: Human Revolution for PS3, but then you can't (legally) own that on PC, so the rule still holds.
    Can't... own it? wat

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    I love my Super Nintendo.

Oh hey, a thread!

Can't... own it? wat
    I'm guessing that's a Steam=rental comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
    Can't... own it? wat
    You can pirate it and thereby own (read: control) it, but if you want to pay for it on PC you have to go through Steam, which means that Valve owns/controls it.

Consoles are heading in the same direction of course, but they're not there yet. A benefit of their being behind the curve.
    Last edited by Rii; 22-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Nothing about console-exclusives makes them impossible to translate for PC. They're arbitrarily console-exclusives. They're specifically designed as exclusives so you buy consoles. They're meant as selling points. That's not an advantage: That's a ruse.
    Kind of beside the point? There WILL always be exclusives, so there will always be great games that aren't on other platforms, I would still rather play games on their original console than emus, etc.

What, to make up for releasing the games unfinished and/or sans-QA in the first place?

Of course in the case of multiplatform titles some of the QA processes and other standards of presentation that Microsoft and Sony mandate carry over to the PC version, so in that limited respect we could say that the PC market is parasitic on the console market.
    I was talking more updates and content than bug fixes and patches, not talking paid dlc mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Consoles are heading in the same direction of course, but they're not there yet. A benefit of their being behind the curve.
    Heading in the same direction? Dude. They've been there for quite a while. You can get bricked remotely. "Subscription"-style distribution for the PC are the companies' attempts at introducing console architecture to non-consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by LaunchJC View Post
    Kind of beside the point?
    No, it's pretty much the exact point. Running an exclusive to entice me to purchase an inferior and redundant system is a ruse. It's no contest.
    Last edited by Nalano; 22-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    There are occasions though where there is just more of a playerbase for particular genres on console, so it makes sense to keep them to consoles, like fighting games or Japanese rpgs.

Activated Node
    No matter how much you have to drink, Rayman's raving rabbids just isn't the same on the PC...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What do you people who hold the fear that Valve will snatch away all your Steam games do? All I do on Steam is buy games, and play them (without hacks). Even if you do get caught hacking, you just get locked out of that one game, and even then only the multiplayer component I think. They don't take your entire account away (they should though).

I'm just trying to think of the scenario where you would unknowingly do something that would result in the termination of your Steam account. As far as I'm concerned, I own all my Steam games, because I know I will never do anything to have them taken from me. Even if there were a good chance of having a game taken, I'd still rather take that risk than own a sub-par version of the same game on console.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Network Hub
    Only reason I regret not having a console is red dead redemption

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

No, it's pretty much the exact point. Running an exclusive to entice me to purchase an inferior and redundant system is a ruse. It's no contest.
    I would judge a console's inferiority on the experiences it can provide, and exclusives, an underhanded business strategy or not, stop them from become redundant or inferior.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I would judge a console's inferiority on the experiences it can provide, and exclusives, an underhanded business strategy or not, stop them from become redundant or inferior.
    Really? So you'd buy a console just because R* won't produce RDR for PC?

I guess that's your money to waste, then. Won't stop me from mocking you for it, tho, and I'll continue judging consoles on the fact that they're tiny, closed PCs that can't do things as well as the PC I already own.
    Last edited by Nalano; 23-05-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen