Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 22/05/2012 - No Strength In Numbers

This evening saw 40 comrades throw themselves at various objectives, mostly dying but occasionally even succeeding. Thank you all for joining us in such force, hopefully you enjoyed it an will turn up again, and also on Sundays.
    The missions were as follows:

Reborn Phoenix.
    This is a slightly updated version of an ARPS classic, Stillborn Eagle. Commanded by the new but very able Borklund/Gustav, the men were able to complete even the extra objective. Unfortunately not everyone made it to the extraction, but I'm sure it was worth it for the hostages who were rescued.

Cratesistance
    . It's all about dying in the woods, and apparently that was achieved. Kelron's CDF took the larger number of casualties however, only managing to blow up one cache. Other caches were attacked but not hard enough, thus the mission ended in NAPA win under the command of Borklund (again). And for future reference, the crates don't contain satchels, but something infinitely more valuable: the source of all fighting spirit on Chernarus and the whole Soviet-equipped world.

Force Ten. This rounded up the evening, offering a classic buffet of death. StrangLove did wonderfully juggling the very large number of fireteams at his disposal. As is traditional, the mosque was our advance's high-water mark, then the charge was ordered. Unfortunately no-one made it, and enemies ate all the delicious icecream that was being served at FOB Dynamo.

Avalanche. As the official session drew to an end, it was the time to do a bit of mission (provided by Kelron) testing. Surprisingly enough this consisted of everyone dying at a very quick pace by a large number of enemies coming our way, as is fitting for a defense mission. Kelron seemed to be the last person alive, which is kind of suspicious.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Activated Node
    Thank you all for putting up with my ineptitude. I'd only ever played Warfare before, not a minute of coop missions. It was great fun though and I look forward to seeing you all in future ARPS sessions!

Borklund, you were an amazing commander for a mission that didn't really give you much to do, and an absolutely fantastic first-timer. Please continue to play with us.

(In other news, I found out why the choppers didn't take off when the last man got in. Will be fixed at some point. There'll also be more concerted waves rather than sporadic far targets.)
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

What time are these played? As in, are they out of my time zone?:(

Just me a shooting a gun, from Force Ten. Also survived a building collapse, I think this was the third one during my ARMA career. Thanks to Pelican Pal for telling me where the stairs were afterwards.

Reborn Phoenix
    Missed this mission, my PC overheated so I disconnected after rescuing the first hostages. I later joined as a JIP, but died quickly.

Cratesistance
    Dying in the woods is what we are good at! I was CDF, rifleman in bravo squad. We were ordered to approach a far west cache together with alpha squad. As we climbed a steep hill, we saw the cache. An enemy ran infront of us, someone from our section opened fire and shit hit the fan. In the ensuring battle, I killed one player and one AI, died from a grenade. Our section (alpha,bravo) was butchered horribly from the flanks.

Force Ten
    I was Foxtrot FTL. Command ordered us to advance to the Base through the city in an echelon formation. Fox was on the edge of the formation, so we had to cover the flank, killing enemies that approached from the flank while advancing from building to building. At first, all went well, I think we advanced halfway into the city, but then people started dying. Don't know what happened to my fireteam, as I was shot and was injured, waiting a revive. Unfortunately, the revive script for the mission bugged I think, and so I spent the other half of the mission lying on the ground, with other injured comrades.

Avalanche
    I was MAT, RPG guy. I was hiding in town, waiting for enemy vehicles, while hearing the deaths of the unfortunate players who were out front, where there was minimal cover. Saw 3 enemy APC's incoming - 1 BRDM and 2 M113's. They were very far away, seemed like 400 meters. I thought, what the hell, and fired an RPG at an M113. Surprisingly, the rocket hit dead on at a moving target 400 meters away, and the APC exploded spectacularly. But, the rest of my shots weren't so accurate, as I had some weird RPG's, not the standart ones, but fat ones (high explosive RPG-7V or something?), that traveled at an extreme arc.

@Raaritsgozilla, 19:30 UK time. More info here if you need it.

Obscure Node
    Borklund u were just as good as any other veteran, I really admire the initiative and the balls it takes to take on command ^^ Great job!

Awesome night overall, even though I died due to a bug in the first mission, died instantly during the adversarial without seeing a single enemy and also died instantly to our own EIDs during the final mission. My favourite mission (the only one I actually had time to play, really) was by far Force Ten, in which we did awesomely under Wolfenswan's lead, and ended (I'm not too sure why, probably coz it took too long) as I heroicly ran into a ditch while carrying Kataras on my shoulders

I had fun playing the first mission, but Mumble cut out on me and I couldn't find a way to fix it (no sound coming through even though I could see the 'talk' icon lighting up for people). I will look into it and hopefully have time to play next week. Although I expended at least one clip of ammunition in the general direction of the enemy, I think I shot a grand total of no people. I close my eyes and flinch when I click the mouse to properly simulate how I'd do in a real combat situation, leaving tangos upright and healthy.

It was jolly good fun indeed! RPS people seem to be kind to newcomers, even to those unfortunate few of us who couldn't get their headset working properly and had to remain silent...

Reborn Phoenix

My first ARPS mission started with a chaotic (in my mind) landing, where I tried to remember who is in my squad (Echo, I was AT guy) and who is not, while running for cover in a hail of bullets. We took the hostage huts rather easily. Echo was in the center as we advanced towards east. At some point, I spotted a bunch of enemies south of us, and opened fire across Alpha's attack venue... Luckily no friendlies got hit. In that situation I happily spent all ammo of my silenced Mk16, and then grabbed an AKM from a dead guy. A little later we blew up the secondary objective and advanced even farther to east... which on retrospect wasn't a very good idea probably, because the rest of the squads were not advancing that much and we ended up being attacked from many directions simultaneously and all of us died gloriously soon enough. AFAIK no man from Echo made it to the extraction.

Cratesistance

Playing catch in the woods, basically. Our Delta squad, led by harakka, took defensive positions in what was to become the rear area. Never saw an enemy and didn't fire a shot, but it was still rather tense and interesting!

Force Ten

I was assistant MG gunner in the HMG team with Zitron as the gunner. I basically just glued myself on his heels and tried to keep the baddies off his back. Once I dragged wounded Zitron to safety, and once I killed two enemies who started to look a little nasty aiming their automatic weapons at his side. So in that sense, I count this mission as my best performance during the night! I was a little hampered by not hearing his voice-comms properly (for some reason, my right ear has been mostly deaf for a couple of days (yes I am seeing a doctor today...)), but all in all it went well. That is, went well up to the point where everybody died.

Avalanche

At this point I went to sleep. 19:30GMT is a little difficult starting time for GMT+2, especially when I have to get up for work at 6:30... but it's doable every now and then, and definately seems to be worth it!

Activated Node
    Thank you Nullkigan and Phoenix :) I will be back with a vengeance!

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Reborn Phoenix

[...] A little later we blew up the secondary objective and advanced even farther to east... which on retrospect wasn't a very good idea probably, because the rest of the squads were not advancing that much and we ended up being attacked from many directions simultaneously and all of us died gloriously soon enough. AFAIK no man from Echo made it to the extraction.
    I take full responsibility for that decision :( After E/F/3 had accomplished the secondary, optional objective I should have ordered everyone back to the LZ instead of east toward the advancing enemy mechanised infantry counter-attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Borklund View Post
    I take full responsibility for that decision :( After E/F/3 had accomplished the secondary, optional objective I should have ordered everyone back to the LZ instead of east toward the advancing enemy mechanised infantry counter-attack.
    Oh, no worries! It was a glorious counter-counter-attack, that's what it was. Only we didn't know we were counter-counter-attacking at the time. Or at least I didn't.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix49 View Post
    ... as I heroicly ran into a ditch while carrying Kataras on my shoulders
    Hm when did this happen? On spectator script I was laying on the dirt. Thanks!

I think it was my third Tac Tuesday last night and I don't seem to be getting any better! Oh well, it was still really good fun.

On Reborn Phoenix I got shot through a window by an unknown assailant after less than 5 mins, and then on Crateresistance I got taken out by a grenade and then killed while being revived in about the same length of time. Things got better in Force Ten (with Halop as FTL) but then I got the good news (from I think a Technical?) as I sprinted up a tower in the western end of the town and then glitched into the scenery. I watched a couple of people come up the tower on the unconscious camera but I was writhing under the floor so no revive for me :D

I must get myself a mic before the next session as not being able to spot is a real limitation. Thanks all for the game and for being forgiving to non-mic'ed noobs like me!

Obscure Node
    My first time on RPS, although someone of you know me from folk already, and it was great fun.

Here are 2 great moments of null and killa in cratesistance I really don't wanna keep from you :P

Obscure Node

Awesome videos! I was hoping someone filmed that.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by kataras View Post
    Hm when did this happen? On spectator script I was laying on the dirt. Thanks!
    I am pretty sure it was you I was carrying...you got gunned down by a stationary machine gun along with my FTL Wolfenswan right before the mission ended after his orders were "ignore the MG just run for the ditch over th-" and he go shot :P So I ran to the closest person after taking down the MG, carried them and started running for cover. It was around the time you said "so there's noone to revive medics?"...I could be wrong tho, maybe it was Wolfenswan after all, but I saw ur name

@mike: ArmA's AI at it's best.

This was my first Tactical Tuesday, but it was great!

Hopefully I'll be more useful next week.