Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    68

    Front page login expires, but forum does not - impacts supporter posts

    Is anyone else finding that their front page login expires frequently, even though the forum login hasn't? I hadn't noticed the former, and was wondering why I hadn't seen any supporter posts for a couple of days.

  2. #2
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    7,039
    Yeah thats just annoying. As Ive said many times, I cant stand the comments, and not just for their content I think theyre horribly put together.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,284
    The age of supporter assumption of privilege rises.

    In my day if your login lasted more than five minutes you ticked a box on your calendar, now these supporters with their fancy schmancy pay gate think they deserve a cookie that doesn't expire seemingly at random?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,363
    Damn right Helio! In our days we had to login twice a day, uphill both ways before making a post! Then maybe, by the grace of Horace the post would appear for discussion!

    Kids and their newfangled toys.... GET OF MY LAWN!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

    Bread?

  5. #5
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The age of supporter assumption of privilege rises.

    In my day if your login lasted more than five minutes you ticked a box on your calendar, now these supporters with their fancy schmancy pay gate think they deserve a cookie that doesn't expire seemingly at random?
    Heh, while the randomly expiring cookie has been an issue for awhile, it's only become an issue due to the invisibility of supporter posts when logged out.

    I guess I'll just have to wait until the new approach for handling supporter posts is worked out.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,756
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Damn right Helio! In our days we had to login twice a day, uphill both ways before making a post! Then maybe, by the grace of Horace the post would appear for discussion!

    Kids and their newfangled toys.... GET OF MY LAWN!
    You're the priviledged one!

    In my days I had to compose curl requests myself, and connect a wire from my 486 to the hivemind, only to check the RSS. Many fingers were lost in this work, but luckily my valet was there for the really dangerous parts.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    You're the priviledged one!

    In my days I had to compose curl requests myself, and connect a wire from my 486 to the hivemind, only to check the RSS. Many fingers were lost in this work, but luckily my valet was there for the really dangerous parts.
    Ha, such privilige! In my day, I had to print each individual data packet I wanted to send to the Hivemind, walk over to Her Majesty's Royal Mail, buy stamps, send the packet, go back home, print the next data packet, etcetera etcetera - uphill both ways of course.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,756
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    uphill both ways of course.
    Such spoiled brats, living in the higher parts of the city! I had to go uphill both ways, and then go down some staircase, and go lower everytime I had to leave home. With the rats, and the faeces, and the discarded bits of paper you privileged scum used when sending packets to the Hivemind. Sometimes when I had no money to send my packets, which was everytime, the only contact I had was with those pieces of paper. Bits of puns, Horace written in all caps, we had and cherished every scrap of The Flare Path.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus L_No's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Such spoiled brats, living in the higher parts of the city! I had to go uphill both ways, and then go down some staircase, and go lower everytime I had to leave home. With the rats, and the faeces, and the discarded bits of paper you privileged scum used when sending packets to the Hivemind. Sometimes when I had no money to send my packets, which was everytime, the only contact I had was with those pieces of paper. Bits of puns, Horace written in all caps, we had and cherished every scrap of The Flare Path.
    :D

    You win, sir.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,363
    Is this Monty-Python sniping? Are we all being driven into special bits of filtered fora now?

    Speaking of the Flare Path, it is woefully absent today! Anyone fancy starting up the Spitfire MKVIV's and having a go for a Search and Rescue?!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

    Bread?

  11. #11
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    137
    Expiring every 2 weeks is getting annoying now that there are posts behind the login. Previously, I commented rarely and so I logged in every time I commented, but now I miss stuff for a while until I notice that it's expired.

    If I edit the cookie to expire at some date more than 2 weeks away, will it cause problems with RPS/WordPress?

  12. #12
    Obscure Node kirrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth.
    Posts
    73
    Wait, there's a problem with login expiry?

    Altering the cookie expiry time manually shouldn't break anything.

    There are caching considerations, though. If everyone is logged in (and commenters are logged in), our ability to cache you is drastically reduced. So, we want to make sure you're only logged in if you really need to be.. but yeah, getting logged out so fast is a pain, especially for supporters.

    I'll look into it, and let you know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •