Activated Node

S.EXE Articles and age gate or Filter?

Hey everyone,
    I really do not know how to word this so I am just going to just word it...

The S.EXE articles that appear on RPS make me feel uneasy about coming to this site. Would it be possible to have an age gate for said articles or a least a filter?

I have a mentally disabled brother who comes home rather frequently and when I visit Rock Paper Shotgun. Last thing I want is any form of sexual or suggestive content on my computer screen. I tend to visit this site quite often both on Steam and your site. It is getting to the point where I wont be coming to RPS anymore.

It is one of the few reasons why I have not subscribed to your supporter service.

That said - Please add a filter, Age gate, or something please for the S.EXE articles.

Thank you,
    - HeadClot

EDIT: OR at the very least a NSFW Tag in the title.
    Last edited by HeadClot; 16-10-2014 at 02:55 AM.

S.exe is a pretty huge giveaway. And since its usually contained to these articles, there are custom scripts that simply filter these articles out. However, they are made by fans. I doubt the hivemind will ever make official filters aside from the ones they have.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

@HeadClot - Not sure what the other user scripts are like (probably if you search for 'greasemonkey' and 'rock paper shotgun' you'll find them), but if you can't find any that do the trick, and you are prepared to use greasemonkey plugins, fire me a PM and I'll have a shot at making one to do this for you.

(I have recently been playing with scripts for this site anyway, so I already have a lot of the info I need to hand).

RPS readership for the win!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    S.exe is a pretty huge giveaway. And since its usually contained to these articles, there are custom scripts that simply filter these articles out. However, they are made by fans. I doubt the hivemind will ever make official filters aside from the ones they have.
    Like I said - My brother is mentally disabled - Severe autism and allot of mental handicaps. He is basically an seven year old in an 18 year old body. It is very apparent for you or me. But not to him. Last thing I want is him seeing these articles.

Sorry if I am coming off as an asshole. But I am just trying to get an personal view across.

Quote Originally Posted by bonuswavepilot View Post
    @HeadClot - Not sure what the other user scripts are like (probably if you search for 'greasemonkey' and 'rock paper shotgun' you'll find them), but if you can't find any that do the trick, and you are prepared to use greasemonkey plugins, fire me a PM and I'll have a shot at making one to do this for you.

(I have recently been playing with scripts for this site anyway, so I already have a lot of the info I need to hand).
    Thank you for this information - I will be in touch if I cannot find one that fits my needs.

Thank you for both of your help and time :)

- HeadClot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    As a workaround, you can use a RSS reader and put it in Headlines mode.

If you want an RSS without certain titles you can use this:
    https://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.r...rm_title=S.EXE

You can choose what string to filter with "remove=$STRING".
    For example, to remove articles with "Cock" in the title(like that amazing article), use https://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.r...&rm_title=Cock
    Last edited by somini; 16-10-2014 at 01:30 PM. Reason: more splainin
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    NSFW Tag would be standard no?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    As a workaround, you can use a RSS reader and put it in Headlines mode.

If you want an RSS without certain titles you can use this:
    https://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.r...rm_title=S.EXE

You can choose what string to filter with "remove=$STRING".
    For example, to remove articles with "Cock" in the title(like that amazing article), use https://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.r...&rm_title=Cock
    Thank you for this information. I am just getting up for the day so sorry for the late reply. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I would assume so as well.

Originally Posted by Heliocentric
    I would assume so as well.
    But most S.exe articles aren't NSFW and don't contain adult material, and the ones that were NSFW were tagged as such.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/S.EXE/

It seems that HeadClot is more concerned about content dealing with sexuality as a broad theme, and I'm not sure there is an appropriate term/filter/content warning for that, besides knowing that the column as a whole deals with those themes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    so what we need is NSFK(ids)
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodyMeows View Post
    It seems that HeadClot is more concerned about content dealing with sexuality as a broad theme, and I'm not sure there is an appropriate term/filter/content warning for that, besides knowing that the column as a whole deals with those themes.
    This much is correct.

I am happy that people at least understand where I am coming from and are giving me solutions to the problem I am facing.

:)

It is making me want to visit the RPS forums more and more now. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    so what we need is NSFK(ids)
    I would not go that far... BUT I would say I am looking at greasemonkey right now.
    Last edited by HeadClot; 17-10-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodyMeows View Post
    Thing is - barring a statement from the Hivemind - I'm not sure the writers would think of RPS itself as a site for kids, or anyone with a similar mental age. I don't mean to suggest Headclot doesn't have a perfectly legitimate issue to be concerned about, I just think the way he/she has phrased it is arguably leaning a little too far towards Ban This Sick Filth. I get uncomfortable with the S.EXE posts now and again - I don't think anyone should go into the darker recesses of the Nexus websites without a hazard suit - but hey, opinions and all. That said, if it is merely out of concern for a family member, fair enough, and I'm happy to see someone's able to offer a solution.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    But banning wasn't mentioned, just a filter option :/
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    But banning wasn't mentioned, just a filter option :/
    Sorry, "Ban This Sick Filth" is kind of a general phrase, possibly a bit old/out of date now, used as shorthand for a person who sees something they find objectionable or discomfiting and instantly reacts with "Well I don't want to see that ever again, it's disgusting, so please remove it from my sight at once" without thinking about how other people feel, what the content is actually about, etc. Usually used to make fun of the Daily Mail or people who read it.

I said I accepted that HeadClot seemed to have a perfectly legitimate reason to be concerned, but phrases like "[the articles] make me feel uneasy", "last thing I want is any form of sexual or suggestive content", "I wont be coming to RPS anymore", etc. could also be the kind of thing a poster would say if they were trying to say how morally outraged they were. But I'm sure it's just a side effect of someone anxious to find an amicable solution.