Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    A small remark: The frontpage header entry "Judged: Dustforce" links to an article on "Jagged Alliance - Back in action".

I assume this has already been suggested, but have you considered widening both the site and the forum? I'm pretty sure most of us have widescreen monitors by now (or at least 19 inch 4:3 monitors), so widening them to 1200 pixels shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by ShEsHy; 28-01-2012 at 04:08 AM.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShEsHy View Post
    I assume this has already been suggested, but have you considred widening both the site and the forum? I'm pretty sure most of us have widescreen monitors by now (or at least 19 inch 4:3 monitors), so widening them to 1200 pixels shouldn't be a problem.
    Oi! I don't and I also read the site on the bog with my horizontally-challenged tablet PC. Mess with my defecation at your peril.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tupper View Post
    Oi! I don't and I also read the site on the bog with my horizontally-challenged tablet PC. Mess with my defecation at your peril.
    Oh yea, forgot about those tablet/pad thingies. Now I'm torn between my undying hate for anything non-PC and reading RPS on the can.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

You're talking about fixed with, but there are also variable width content containers. You can have the best of BOTH worlds!

Though the ads are one of the reasons why the site is so narrow.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Quote Originally Posted by The Tupper View Post
    Rumour is the iPad 3 has a (much) higher resolution display...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ShEsHy View Post
    Oh yea, forgot about those tablet/pad thingies. Now I'm torn between my undying hate for anything non-PC and reading RPS on the can.
    That's what Media Queries were invented for.

http://mediaqueri.es/

1. When I'm reading an article, and I log in, it dumps me out to the RPS front page, and I have to scroll down and find the article again.

2. I'd love a reply link on reply comments. Scrolling up to the top of a comment to reply to one of the answers is a pain. I'm not suggesting you allow replies within replies, but a bit of hacking of the comments template would allow you to add @username to the top of a new comment.

That said, with the addition of the 'request deletion' thing on my own comments, the comments box is getting a bit cramped down there.

rps-comment.png

Since I'm not going to block or report my own comment, and I'm not going to edit or delete someone elses, couldn't these buttons be in the same place, and shown based on login?

UPDATE:

Here's a mockup of what I mean:

rps-comment2-cruise-control.jpg
    Last edited by roryok; 01-02-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: updated with mockup

For the Attention of Craig Pearson: I think your images are broken. Each of your articles has a clickable main image, which dims/darkens the page, and then tries to load the image on top of it. Unfortunately, for myself (on Chrome and IE) and a few other people who checked, the images don't load. The page dims, and the 3 blocks pop up, but the image never loads. Clicking the page again (to cancel/go back from the image) does un-dim the page, but the 3 blocks don't go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

I do not think this will be a widely shared opinion, but I have difficulty enjoying the activist journalism (I don't know if this is the right term) the site has increasingly featured. I understand that John feels strongly about these topics, which is admirable, but his posts can sometimes seem shrill, and unacknowledging of other opinions. I've been a subscriber for several years, and have no intention of stopping, as RPS is generally a site I really very much enjoy (very much including John's other writings I should add). Just thought I would add my feedback.
    Last edited by passingtramp; 02-02-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Those Kingdoms of Amalur video adverts seem to really slow down the site to slogging crawl. I know it's nothing RPS themselves can really do anything about (I'm mainly just griping rather than demanding correction and whatnot) but I really do wonder why advertisers seem to think a video overload is a good tactic.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

@Flint
    You're talking about their game on a videogame forum; PR count that as a win.

(I'm finding those videos annoying and slow too.)

Yup, they're absolutely destroying performance, both here and on Eurogamer.net. Won't even scroll properly for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Kingdom of Amalur ad is just as annoying as that SWTOR one a few weeks ago. Ugh. Back to adblocking....
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    The uppermost Mass Effect 3 ad breaks the page in Opera. Won't load anything past the most recent post unless I switch browsers or block the ad.

Is there a way for you guys to nix auto-playing video ads? There's one for Virgin broadband showing for me between the 'Respond' and 'Play' sidebars on the Escape! post. It's flash, so I can't pause or disable it, and it continually loops. Extraordinarily distracting when trying to read John's word-thoughts. I like the site & so don't block ads here, but this one actively distracts from the content.

I second the praise for words. Words are really good. I also think that in the comments, most recently involved, and I also enjoy.

So my criticism is really a demand for more words or a little more than a certainamount of words. Above all, the conversations you have during a game on it andsailed away. I think the interesting differences and similarities, and they are oftenfunny read. I know this has to do an excellent investment in time to play all the same game, and then all spending time to contribute, what a post, so I understand very wellthat they could not only be useful for more. But as a reader, I really appreciate.

Newegg Promo Code
    Last edited by Deckarderin; 13-06-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Network Hub
    Just a quickie to say I've loved the Day-Z coverage and I harbour a craving for more matched only by my hunger for braaaiiins.

What has happened to Cardboard Children? we have not had one for ages and it is one of my favourite features on the site.

If Rab is too busy why not get Agent Smith to cover for him again?

Obscure Node
    Short feedback: I really enjoy the podcasts! It's great that you tend to do them "when you feel like it", but it's not so great that those are so rare. I now there's some kind of dilemma, but I can't change that.