Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogo_Ribeiro View Post
    I dislike that I cannot start new threads without knowing why ;_;
    Too many spam accounts is why.

How nice of you to assume that, considering I only ever had two - one in the old forums, another on the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo_Ribeiro View Post
    How nice of you to assume that, considering I only ever had two - one in the old forums, another on the new one.
    I think he means that there are too many spammers, not that he's accusing you of having spam accounts :)

To give RPS a chance to catch spammers before they flood the board with nonsense topics there's a minimum post count (ten-ish) you need to reach before you can start creating threads.

Well ok, sorry if that came off as confrontational; reading it again, his response could have gone either way.

I can get behind the post count, though it feels like having to spam in order to go "legit" :/

I remember there being a Flattr button on articles. Do I remember wrongly or did something happen to it?
    --

What about having a mobile version of the site. Because I often read articles on the site on my fart phone when I am commuting (couch......taking a shite).

Oh yes and I love your 'monthly' shoutcasts I love how I have a new one to listen to every month. PLease maybe do them weekly. Its me, my dog and RPS on the walk normally in the rain cos I live on the west coast of Ireland and we take the pain for you London folk and your south of france style weather. End rant.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't like that it's a pain to read on my smartphone. There are a couple of ways to do it, but none of them is as nice as having the actual site formated for mobile devices. I'm sure there are a lot of wordpress themes/plugins that'll do it for you. Please look into it and I'll give you all big hugs..

Network Hub
    I don't like that I can't make a topic? Seems like I can only reply to topics, but not make a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    I don't like that I can't make a topic? Seems like I can only reply to topics, but not make a new one.
    You need to reach a certain post threshold before you'll be allowed to make a new topic. I believe the number to aim for is 10. This was implemented to help stop spam and junk threads filling up the boards.

I am, however, getting pretty tired of all the posts from new members wondering why they can't create threads (no offense meant to you guitarxe). Perhaps an addendum to the Forum Rules post letting people know about the minimum post requirement could help, though I sometimes wonder if anyone actually reads Rules or FAQs.
    I take photos of space and talk about it sometimes: http://ofspaceandthings.tumblr.com Also, I am making a game for which there is a development log: http://elegythegame.tumblr.com/

Network Hub
    So RPS is enforcing the same kind of draconian restrictions that Publishers do when including DRM in their games? Talk about hypocracy. Why do legitimate "customers" of RPS have to suffer because of some spammers, when those spammers will simply circumvent anything that's set up anyway?

And what am I supposed to do for 10 posts? It just encourages me to go and spam nonsense for 10 posts before I'm given permission to talk about what I want to talk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Your analogy is flawed. No-one's stopping you from taking part. Maybe try to join in some conversations - ten posts will just fly by.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by guitarxe View Post
    ... when those spammers will simply circumvent anything that's set up anyway?
    Spammers are welcome to make ten posts to try to circumvent the restriction. It gives us ten posts in which to catch them, which is almost always enough.

If you'd been on these forums about six months ago, before this restriction was put in place, you'd see straight away why it was needed -- the forums were completely infested with spam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    To anyone who comes on the site and starts complaining about not being able to make a thread right away because "Omg I need ten posts??" think about this.

If you come to a forum and you can't contribute to at least ten topics or make at least ten posts, perhaps you don't belong on the forum? There's plenty of topics for people to get their first ten posts in.

Introduce yourself, What are you playing/reading/watching on tv and movies/listening to. There's different topics already. If you can't find four more, then you must not have much interest in discussion and I would wager as we have seen this already, that the sole reason you have come here is to try promote your game on Steam Greenlight (which also has it's own thread).

The forum has enough 1 post spam bots in established threads, we don't need threads being made by spam bots clogging up the board.

Obscure Node
    Hello, when articles are published is there a way to be alerted if any "tags" i'm interested in are in a new article? I'd like to follow a specific tag associated with articles and be alerted when new ones are posted. Thanks!

Alas, I just* posted in this thread but the post went for moderator approval! It's not even too much of a wordy post (just some hundred words or so I think? but still requires someone to approve it.

But I have a fair amount of posts now, surely this sort of system should not be in place unless I'm posting too excessively or explicitly!?

Regardless, this is my simple way of saying 'pretty please can someone review and approve my post?'.

*OK, about three hours ago.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Spammers are welcome to make ten posts to try to circumvent the restriction. It gives us ten posts in which to catch them, which is almost always enough.

If you'd been on these forums about six months ago, before this restriction was put in place, you'd see straight away why it was needed -- the forums were completely infested with spam.
    Currently we have a similar problem over on the PCG forums right now. There's been quite a bit of spammer activity of late and tempers and patience are wearing thin to the point that we're automatically suspicious of new people with only a few posts to their name, waiting for the spamhammer to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    To anyone who comes on the site and starts complaining about not being able to make a thread right away because "Omg I need ten posts??" think about this.

If you come to a forum and you can't contribute to at least ten topics or make at least ten posts, perhaps you don't belong on the forum? There's plenty of topics for people to get their first ten posts in.
    Agreed, 10 post is really not that much

Logging in to post a comment (for some reason RPS always forgets my login prematurely - it's not exactly a high-risk site) always sends me back to the home screen, which is infuriatingly stupid. Why don't you use Disqus or something? Wordpress really, really shits me.

Quote Originally Posted by cairbre View Post
    What about having a mobile version of the site. Because I often read articles on the site on my fart phone when I am commuting (couch......taking a shite).
    Yes please. I did some googling and found this: http://www.wordpressintegration.com/...press-website/