Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Actually I think RPS is just about fine as it is. Unlike some people I actually don't mind the press-release news posts - I wouldn't see them otherwise, and it's always nice to have somewhere to discuss them. The only way I can think of to improve the site would be to increase the voltage on the cranial stimulators for the writers, and frankly I think we're pushing the limits of what they can tolerate; I can smell burning brain.

My favourite site. I first discovered RPS though either Ars Technica or Slashdot where they linked to an article here in their gaming sections. I occasionally read more and now this is the first place I come. Very good writing, good humour, and good community. Keep up the good work.

This forum won't be as good as Forum 2.

bug report

clicking edit comment on the first page removes all line breaks.

Two little suggestions for an already great site:

1. A smartphone friendly version of the main site and forums.
    2. Keeping all the posts on the current day on the front page. Sometimes stories disappear pretty quickly

Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    2. Keeping all the posts on the current day on the front page. Sometimes stories disappear pretty quickly
    +1

Also, it'd be nice if there was some way to flag or mark some posts for later reading. That would be useful for when I don't have the time to read an entire post, but I'd like to keep track of it instead of having to search for it or wade through several pages until I find it later.

I'd like to see that too, although I imagine that server load may be a concern. And some people will probably complain about it.

Better yet, the ability to change the number of posts on the front page, but that would probably require extensive modding of WordPress and beefier servers.

"Older Entries", "Newer Entries" buttons should also be on top

Like the title says, when I'm flipping through several pages in a row, they never load fast enough. If the 'older'/'newer' buttons were also on top, those would load much more quickly and I could move on to the next page immediately. Also they would be handy so I can click them immediately if I'm near the top.

A smartphone friendly version of the main site and forums.
    Oh! Oh! This too! Forgot this one.

I like the ability to block a certain users comments on main page articles. Means when some "IF U NOT AGREE WIF ME DEN U JUS CANT HANDEL ME TELLIN IT LYKE IT IZ" cuntflap insists on taking over a comments thread you can just zap them rather than want to knife out your own eyes. :)
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

1. A smartphone friendly version of the main site and forums.
    This please.

And more wireless shows!
    “Technology is a bad thing, people”
    - Wizardry

Throwing my hat in with the others here for the mobile sites. Would absolutely love a smartphone-optimized version of the site and forums.

Obscure Node
    Real-time comments on the articles. It would be nice to not refresh to see if someone has responded to my inane ramblings. I also add my support for the mobile site.

Activated Node
    More podcasts. It is much easier to have a more free-form discussion of themes and ideas verbally than it is in writing. Your podcasts are fascinating for this very reason. They allow rambling around different topics that I would otherwise not have even considered [Jim's occasional mentions of architecture in particular stick out for me]. I know they're tricky to organise and I know you are all exceptionally busy but they are a really great treat.

Bug report: Certain articles (Jagged Alliance right now) are showing two pages of comments on the main page, but only actually have one page of comments.

If I had to guess as to why, it's because replies put it over a certain threshold for marking a page two, but they don't actually get split onto a second page.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusibeta View Post
    I'd like to see that too, although I imagine that server load may be a concern. And some people will probably complain about it.

Better yet, the ability to change the number of posts on the front page, but that would probably require extensive modding of WordPress and beefier servers.
    My suggestion would be new button 'show all today's posts' to go with the newer/older buttons.

Another plus for a smart mobile phone-y friendly site from me.

Seems I'm the only one who particularly values reading the RPS writers in interaction with each other, so perhaps more regular podcasts would be a way of doing this? Others may disagree, but I am fine with skyped podcasts.

Network Hub
    Could you get that Karen Gillan person to stop by every so often? Maybe for a podcast or something. (Also more podcasts.)

Obscure Node
    Hey, guys

Love the site! It's my source for PC gaming...

But, this is a complaint thread, so here it goes...lol

If there's one thing that bugs me, it's the buttons at the bottom of the page (the « Older Entries and Newer Entries » buttons). You all do a lot of advertising now, and the background is always changing, but the fixed JPEG black stays mute, and it drives me crazy.

I'm now the winner of weakest RPS complaint award.

Anyways, as a web designer, here's a quick fix if you know how to edit your CSS file:

Remove the previous .alignright a (line 262) and .alignright a (line 263) sections and replace with this:

.alignleft a, .alignright a {
    -webkit-border-radius: 20px;
    -moz-border-radius: 20px;
    border-radius: 20px;
    background: #fefefe;
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #fefefe 0%, #d5cfcf 88%);
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,#fefefe), color-stop(88%,#d5cfcf));
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, #fefefe 0%,#d5cfcf 88%);
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top, #fefefe 0%,#d5cfcf 88%);
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, #fefefe 0%,#d5cfcf 88%);
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#fefefe', endColorstr='#d5cfcf',GradientType=0 );
    background: linear-gradient(top, #fefefe 0%,#d5cfcf 88%);
    border-bottom:1px solid #e5e2e2;
    border-top:1px solid #e5e2e2;
    -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 1px 0px #a5a5a5;
    -moz-box-shadow: 0px 1px 0px #a5a5a5;
    box-shadow: 0px 1px 0px #a5a5a5;
    display: block;
    float: left;
    margin-bottom:20px;
    padding:10px 23px 10px 23px;
    font-size:12px;
    }

.alignright a {
    float: right !important;
    }

It's now a more standards compliant way of doing it, PLUS a transparent background, PLUS it will expand in case the user has their font-size turned up.

Just thought it might make the place a little nicer. Anyways, love the site!

Here's an observation: I got an email from RPS, clearly automated, that said 'thanks for joining the forum'. I didn't get one for subscribing to support the site. Despite their being no human interaction in either case, it strikes me as something of an oversight. Alternatively it could be RPS encouraging me to feel that my subscription is an entirely altruistic action and that the lack of acknowledgement is actually more fulfilling. In which case, I feel super. Except now anyone who reads this knows I just subscribed, so I better go and cancel it now to avoid any potential public recognition of the initial act.

Just go to sleep, man.