Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I saw Alec's response.

It's a shame that they're just going to tweak them and not remove them. I don't think they add anything and they're just a distraction. As someone mentioned in the comments on the article, pull quotes have their places in printed medium because you'll flick through a magazine or newspaper and see one, get interested in the article and read it.

If I've already clicked the link to a review with someone, there's no need for pull quotes to try interest me, I'm already interested. All it's going to do is draw my eyes away from the interview and on more than one occasion I end up skipping the rest of the interview.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    As someone mentioned in the comments on the article, pull quotes have their places in printed medium because you'll flick through a magazine or newspaper and see one, get interested in the article and read it.
    Then again, many pull quotes only work because the article starts with a bunch of filler paragraphs, so they slap an interesting-looking sentence in your face hoping you will read the filler while really you are barely skimming through it and try to find find what the pull quote was about in the first place.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Obscure Node
    Oh wow, just noticed these "MORE FROM THE WEB" ads above the comment section... These things are kind of sleazy, really.

Also, my thoughts on the pull quotes:
    Due to a rise in comment posts from people who barely skimmed the articles, entire hot topic articles will be in pull quotes with the main body just repeated to fill space.
    Last edited by SubparFiddle; 04-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Network Hub
    The article on the gender pay gap was just downright bad. Lazily written, completely uninformed and zero research done on it. Should be ashamed.

"Hey I saw this tweet so now RANT RANT OH MY GOSH RANT #reasonswhy".
    Last edited by Vicious; 04-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SubparFiddle View Post
    Oh wow, just noticed these "MORE FROM THE WEB" ads above the comment section... These things are kind of sleazy, really.
    I literally just noticed these, I'm sure they weren't there when I checked during my lunch break. Really not a fan, really break up the flow into the comments and look out of place and kinda cheesy :-/

Not classy RPS :-/
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura

Network Hub
    If you want to get rid of the horrible quotes (and they truly are horrible, ugly and insipid things):

Install AdBlock for Chrome/Firefox
    Right click the quote and click Adblock > Block This Ad.
    Adjust the slider until the quotes disappear (Blocked element:<DIV
    class="simplePullQuote" >)

Et Voila!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    I literally just noticed these, I'm sure they weren't there when I checked during my lunch break. Really not a fan, really break up the flow into the comments and look out of place and kinda cheesy :-/

Not classy RPS :-/
    I avoid using an ad-blocker because I know RPS gets more money if I see the ads, but if these things hang around I shall install one.

Really not bothered. This is the only site I totally unblock, to give them money to make sure they're well funded. Even make a point of clicking on most of the links/ads.

To be so concerned about such a small thing seems petty.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryLippedSquid View Post
    Really not bothered. This is the only site I totally unblock, to give them money to make sure they're well funded. Even make a point of clicking on most of the links/ads.

To be so concerned about such a small thing seems petty.
    The ads have never bothered me and they are not a bone of contention, the new things are different, crowbared in between the articles and the comments section and they're not about game or site related stuff, instead about random cr*p from across the net. They've not had them before and I personally find them really irritating. Not install a Ad-blocker irritating but still pretty close....colour me petty I guess.
    Waraura

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    The ads have never bothered me and they are not a bone of contention, the new things are different, crowbared in between the articles and the comments section and they're not about game or site related stuff, instead about random cr*p from across the net. They've not had them before and I personally find them really irritating. Not install a Ad-blocker irritating but still pretty close....colour me petty I guess.
    I imagine petty to be a pale pinkish tone.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Is it wrong that I find that quite soothing? Irritation fading...fading....RISING....fading.
    Waraura

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Fuschia off!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Obscure Node
    I've never minded the ads before and wouldn't go so far as to use ad-block, but these have always felt almost malicious to me in the way they target the less informed. "Dr. Oz reveals ONE secret to lose belly fat!!!" "OMG You wouldn't believe it SUPERFRUIT" "Kate Upton and nudey parts!!!!!" "KATE F***ING UPTON CLICK ON ME!!!!"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SubparFiddle View Post
    "KATE F***ING UPTON CLICK ON ME!!!!"
    Oh, another royal scandal I guess? Nasty.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I'm wondering about the new "S**t from the web" section as well, but what particularly bothers me is how much they stand out, because they're so badly fitted to the layout of the site. Whatever company does the usual frontpage RPS ads, usually they're at least not even clickable everywhere, and fit in extremely well with the rest of the site layout. However, I just noticed a little question mark below the "... from the web" section, to the right, which describes the culprit as "Outbrain", who probably do the same things on Eurogamer and PCG.

Just to chime in with the crowd, please please please get your ad people to remove the 'more from the web' section. It's tacky and horrible.

Activated Node
    I'd also like to express my dissatisfaction with the "More from the web" thing. I like being able to immediately read the comments after reading the article, but now there's this huge and completely uninteresting (to me) thing in between, it's rather inconvenient.

I wonder what RPS hopes to accomplish with the panel, anyway. Is it an advertisement thing? That would explain it to some extent - I don't see why you'd voluntarily include something like this which, I think, not many people will like or use.

At least get rid of the "more from the web" row, please. The links are horribly irrelevant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, I just noticed More From The Web and came here to make sure I didn't have some form of linuxy virus or something.

If the Hivemind likes them, fine, it is your choice. Just keep in mind that most people won't just use adblock to block that specific block of ads (I like most of the ads on RPS as they actually are for stuff that interest me, not so much that) but will just block everything like assholes.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Koozer View Post
    Just to chime in with the crowd, please please please get your ad people to remove the 'more from the web' section. It's tacky and horrible.
    This, it doesn't fit the site at all. Please remove them!

Just noticed these on Euro Gamer and now on RPS too. I thought I had some horrible ad browser app install itself some how, but it turns out not. Please get rid of it, I don't want to look at links to the Express paper thanks!