Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Didn't the Hivemind mention before that for most of the ad content it was out of their hands? It came up around the time of Orcs and Men because there was massive banner ads for it and the WiT said it was a bad game, leading most to question why RPS would run ads for games they don't like. That through some partnership with Eurogamer, ads would be chosen to run on the site. I'd imagine this is something similar to that.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I too would like to voice my dislike of the tenor and content of these new advertisements located between the article and the comments section.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    If you want to get rid of the horrible quotes (and they truly are horrible, ugly and insipid things):

Install AdBlock for Chrome/Firefox
    Right click the quote and click Adblock > Block This Ad.
    Adjust the slider until the quotes disappear (Blocked element:<DIV
    class="simplePullQuote" >)

Et Voila!
    If you just want to remove the pull-quotes and the more from the web, here's a script.
    https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/164236
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Yeah, the "More from RPS" and "More from the Web" things are terrible. Another thing added to the adBlock list (really isn't much of the site that gets through with me)... but, I guess everyone can't be an asshole like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    If you want to get rid of the horrible quotes (and they truly are horrible, ugly and insipid things):

Install AdBlock for Chrome/Firefox
    Right click the quote and click Adblock > Block This Ad.
    Adjust the slider until the quotes disappear (Blocked element:<DIV
    class="simplePullQuote" >)

Et Voila!
    When I did it, I got (DIV[id="outbrain_widget_0"][class="OUTBRAIN"), with the bonus that it also removes the same stuff from the Euro Gamer site too. All it leaves are the words More From The Web...

Problem is that I've now got rid of all the ads from the RPS site. Not something I wanted to do, but remove that horrible Outbrain widget and I'll put the other ads back.

Quote Originally Posted by hattered View Post
    "Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim darkness of the near future there are only breasts."

Doesn't the ads depend on your browsing history? :D

Quote Originally Posted by hattered View Post
    "Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim darkness of the near future there are only breasts."
    I didn't get any of these, so I hope that's a fake. Otherwise the site has lost quite some credibility after their "Will somebody please think of the women!" articles.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Doesn't the ads depend on your browsing history? :D
    Or this, though I really have a hard time linking any of the suggestions I get even remotely to my browser history. :D
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Or this, though I really have a hard time linking any of the suggestions I get even remotely to my browser history. :D
    Aye Mine knocking on about a miracle loaf of hovis, gmail extentions and pluto's gate (whatever that is) and I'm not had my browser near any of them!
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura

Quote Originally Posted by Sarigs View Post
    Aye Mine knocking on about a miracle loaf of hovis, gmail extentions and pluto's gate (whatever that is) and I'm not had my browser near any of them!
    You were expecting breasts, weren't you?
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Good God people, it's just a notch or two of your scroll wheel, dependant on your notchiness. Get over it?

Quote Originally Posted by FurryLippedSquid View Post
    Good God people, it's just a notch or two of your scroll wheel, dependant on your notchiness. Get over it?
    It's not right for an article denouncing sexism in games have that sort of ads below. It's hypocritical. Companies can call out RPS on that. "If you use biniki-clad women for profit, so can we!"
    RPS has removed offensive/annoying ads before, I'm sure they will act upon this swiftly.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    If you just want to remove the pull-quotes and the more from the web, here's a script.
    https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/164236
    Excellent. Thanks for that, saves me the bother of faffing with adblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbick View Post
    Excellent. Thanks for that, saves me the bother of faffing with adblock.
    I have adblock disabled for RPS, this keeps the ads but removes the pullquotes. Actually it just hides them, but it's the same effect.

My minimum wish is for the "more from the web" section to die a horrible death. There are a great many aspects of RPS I love, but these new links remind me of the worthless walls and loops of pop news that are tacked on to so many other sites. Despite the generally high quality of most of the writing here, these types of links still make me feel slightly dirty when I see them, regardless of their content.

The "more from RPS" links, however, I am fine with. My browsing habits here essentially function as an RSS reader; I at least look at the titles of all articles posted since my last visit. But for new and infrequent readers, and those who don't feel like looking through pages of similarly-tagged articles, these links are potentially a great way to present them with more wonderful (and possibly related) content to read. Not for me, but I do feel they have a legitimate use.

I guess I'm okay with the pullQuotes, too, for similar reasons, but I think they do tarnish the general classiness of RPS.

At any rate, thank you, Somini, for linking to that userscript. I really didn't want to take any more time to figure out AdBlock's alien syntax, especially since I don't want anything else (including ads) on RPS blocked. (Still don't know if that's even possible after some fiddling around...) And thank you even more for pointing out the "girlie pics amid anti-sexism articles" hazard. I hope those links aren't reliably tweakable so they're just removed entirely...

Also: Sorry this is my first post. I wanted to voice my opinion on this while it's still being tweaked, but rest assured that I feel a tad buttish for it. I do love RPS, really!
    Last edited by particlese; 06-04-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by particlese View Post
    My minimum wish is for the "more from the web" section to die a horrible death. There are a great many aspects of RPS I love, but these new links remind me of the worthless walls and loops of pop news that are tacked on to so many other sites. Despite the generally high quality of most of the writing here, these types of links still make me feel slightly dirty when I see them, regardless of their content.

The "more from RPS" links, however, I am fine with. My browsing habits here essentially function as an RSS reader; I at least look at the titles of all articles posted since my last visit. But for new and infrequent readers, and those who don't feel like looking through pages of similarly-tagged articles, these links are potentially a great way to present them with more wonderful (and possibly related) content to read. Not for me, but I do feel they have a legitimate use.

I guess I'm okay with the pullQuotes, too, for similar reasons, but I think they do tarnish the general classiness of RPS.

At any rate, thank you, Somini, for linking to that userscript. I really didn't want to take any more time to figure out AdBlock's alien syntax, especially since I don't want anything else (including ads) on RPS blocked. (Still don't know if that's even possible after some fiddling around...) And thank you even more for pointing out the "girlie pics amid anti-sexism articles" hazard. I hope those links aren't reliably tweakable so they're just removed entirely...

Also: Sorry this is my first post. I wanted to voice my opinion on this while it's still being tweaked, but rest assured that I feel a tad buttish for it. I do love RPS, really!
    Yeah, I made that userscript precisely for that purpose. Glad to see it's useful.

Welcome to the forums, it's lovely here. It's like the comment section, but only with the best people. And there are email notifications.

There are tales of a mythic creature that lurks around here. Looking for the perfect old-school RPG. Heralding the day when Baldur's Gate is not a proper RPG. His name is Wizardry... I saw him many moons ago... Thinking about it still sends shivers to my spine!

Anyway, what I meant is that this forums are the best part of RPS. We have everything and the kitchen sink! We even design our own games, blessed be Horace.

Ah, then thank you also for making it!

And thanks for the welcome! I don't think I've ever ventured this way, so the quick intro is much appreciated. Now I'm off to find some embetterment potions (plus either pierogi or tacos) so as not to lower the standards upon my next visit.

Obscure Node
    Way to prove your point:

Quote Originally Posted by MaximKat View Post
    Way to prove your point:

It was only a matter of time.

I have some feedback for RPS. Please do some more gaming diaries! The Infernum and Bloodbowl diaries are some of my favourite pieces on the site. I'd love some new ones including the new additions to the RPS team.

Also, I do not like the new adverts either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    I have some feedback for RPS. Please do some more gaming diaries! The Infernum and Bloodbowl diaries are some of my favourite pieces on the site. I'd love some new ones including the new additions to the RPS team.

Also, I do not like the new adverts either.
    Gaming diaries where great. I don't like football but that football manager one was brilliant.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID