Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    This new forum is a bit of a Gears of War rip-off.

Quote Originally Posted by moth bones View Post
    So has the old forum simply vanished? Quite a lot of good, and ongoing, threads there, and nary an announcement that this migration (is that the right word?) was taking place.
    You can find the old forum at <a>http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/</a>

I have a couple of issues with the forum:
    <ul><li> No BBCode. Why!? Many people know how to use BBCode as it's used in pretty much every forum ever, and not allowing them to use it can only cause confusion. In my opinion, the choice should be between either BBCode and HTML, or just BBCode on its own. In fact, BBCode being off means quoting, as can bee seen above in this post, doesn't work.

<li> No WYSIWYG editor. This goes hand in hand with my previous point shouldn't be that hard to implement, given that there's undoubtedly umpteen mods for it anyway.

<li> No avatars. What was wrong with gravatars? There's even <a href = "http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=262196&highlight=gravatar">a mod for VBulletin</a> to make it happen.

<li> The comments not working. But I know you're on to that already.</ul>
    Apart from that... Pretty damned good! Should be a much nicer board in the long term than the old one. Good job!
    Last edited by egg651; 03-06-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Obscure Node
    I love the site and its articles so I thought I might as well join the forums. It's good to see a site focussed on PC gaming, you give attention to less well known indie games as well as AAA titles. Keep up the good work!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    No BBCode, HTML is on which is very unsafe, and I miss the old general view instead of going subforum by subforum :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    <blockquote>No BBCode, HTML is on which is very unsafe, and I miss the old general view instead of going subforum by subforum :(</blockquote>
    You can see the general view by clicking the "What's New" button at the top.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions to enable a WYSIWYG editor.

For general view, click "new posts" or "what's new" at the top of the page.

My remaining concern would be that we have a fixed width forum. Again. There's more blank space on my page than actual useful content :(
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 03-06-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: What Is Seen You Will Inevitably Get? That's new...
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Obscure Node
    <blockquote>There's more blank space on my page than actual useful content :(</blockquote>

You're supposed to fill that space... <em>with your dreams.</em>

gutten morgan bitchen tits!

I would also like the option to add an avatar.

Good, good. I even registered a username this time around, lurk no more.

Only cos your dx1 fans tho! :P

I like the subscriber emails!

I would like to receive one more than twice a year.

Edit: I also preferred having 5 posts than 0.
    Last edited by Auspex; 03-06-2011 at 11:49 AM.

I don't have any criticism other than saying that RPS is lovely and amazing and I thank you wonderful people for making it <3

Obscure Node
    The good: I only listen to you now regarding what PC games I buy and play.

The bad: I only listen to you now regarding what PC games I buy and play.

Can we get the BB code? (Assuming that's a forum-level setting.)

BB Code should be on now.

Hey jim, you have a fancy prisoner avatar. can we have 'em now?

Well, not fancy prisoner avatars.

Do avatars work now?

EDIT: not working for me :(
    Last edited by Auspex; 03-06-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: EDIT2: Working now! :)

I like: long-form thinkathons written in the author's own voice, the kind of article where John rattles off a load of reasoning on Why This Thing Is Bollocks or Quinns runs around like an idiot inside a game world, where you don't need to read the byline to know who it is. Thinks about games past and gaming present, actual opinions and ideas as opposed to the web disease of PR-regurgitation.

I don't like: the web disease of PR-regurgitation. This is pretty contextual though, it's only a dislike in comparison to everything else RPS because at the end of the day it's all still written with that British Magazine Sensibility, with a healthy dollop of cynicism and piss-taking, so it's still good. If you didn't do it I'd probably complain there wasn't enough content being posted, so clearly you shouldn't listen to me. Do your own thing, and we'll all just keep reading it I reckons.

It's safe to say that the last 3-4 years of reading RPS have rescued me from console land and turned me back into a proper gamer. I grew up on Amiga Power and Digitiser and so when RPS appeared, I was initially reading it just because I liked the words, not because I was particularly invested in PCs at the time. Thankfully though, a gradual process of osmosis filled me anew with enthusiasm for the One True Platform, and now I know far too much about Sandy Bridges and Northern Islands and what have you. So, er, tah very much.

Being able to add spoiler tags would come in handy.

The Good - See sonofsanta's entire post above. Quintin's story escapades and John's ramblings and Jim's reminiscing and play reviews, and Alec's... well, Alec doing whatever exactly it is he keeps doing so very well are what keep me coming back to RPS and off certain, lesser sites. Even the PR regurgitations have some personal panache. Oh and the headlines. Props for the headlines.

What I'd like to see - I love it when you point us at people who you think are writing good stuff about games. Being as I have developed no small degree of respect for what you all write, it is lovely to have trusted advice and not sort through the chaff myself.
    The flip-side of that - and perhaps I just have missed that it exists - but it would be quite cool to see a user-submitted article be published by you guys once in a while if you (the official writers) feel it presents something special or is of a particularly high caliber. Much in the way you showed us roBurky. Some of the comments and discussions that the RPS community produces are extremely well considered and written (unlike some other games sites...) and it would be fantastic to see some of our more talented members get some official attention.
    Last edited by Mr. Icarus; 04-06-2011 at 12:24 AM.