Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    * deleted *
    Last edited by Tei; 19-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.

You didnt read what I said, right?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    See, somebody literally arguing that we should be able to make transgender people into jokes based on their gender identity is exactly what is wrong with the users here. This is sort of shit that should receive an immediate ban for any place that wants to elevate itself above 4chan.

no, saying that you should be able to joke about everything is fine. however, stating that "come on luv, a joke about your vagina is ok" is shit.

Tei may be on the border, but he retracted his statement. Also, please read the discussion a page or two up before repeating what others have said about that and moderators reply to that.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    I read your reply. I think the fact that you don't like discussions on the type of things RPS features on the front page is more indicative of the fact that these forums aren't moderated for shit and the toxic people are allowed to thrive and you choose to take part in bad communities. I've seen plenty of discussions on things like Tropes vs Women or the portrayal of minorities in gaming be productive, but if you can't imagine those ever turning out well... well, that's your problem, not mine.
    Last edited by Karrius; 19-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrius View Post
    I read your reply. I think the fact that you don't find discussions on the type of things RPS features on the front page is more indicative of the fact that these forums aren't moderated for shit and the toxic people are allowed to thrive and you choose to take part in bad communities. I've seen plenty of discussions on things like Tropes vs Women or the portrayal of minorities in gaming be productive, but if you can't imagine those ever turning out well... well, that's your problem, not mine.
    no. from *experience* on *these* forums, they tend to just bog down with shit. But as Ive said, I will happily nurture a "safe thread" if someone bothers to start one.

However, I think the discussion is generally meaningless not because there is nothing to be said, but because nobody says it, but gets all defensive when we lock the thread because of unexcellence. And again, I am willing to be proven otherwise that a discussion that brings something to the table, maybe a different view, different facts, theories, whatever, that are not -IST in nature nor "unexcellence bait" (what was that wonderful word; Dog Whistling?) is possible. I just dont see anyone doing it because of people like you that dont even bother, others that just happily point fingers and shout, and then the bunch that should get banned. (and generally does, as youve seen in the threads most recently closed)
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I'd like to add my concurrence that, in many cases, a thread closure is more extreme than a temporary ban. It's like canceling recess instead of sending the people who got into a fight to the principals office, you know? There are exceptions and there are certainly threads that ought to be closed--as long as there's a short line or two explaining the closure clearly so that as many people as possible "get" what was wrong with the thread, I'm ok with that. Obviously we're not all going to see eye to eye about which threads are toxic and which aren't, and clear explanation of closures goes a long way towards ameliorating that becasue at least it makes everyone's expectations clear.

As it stands, as others pointed out, it can be daunting to create a new thread after a closure--both becasue you're worried the same people will come back and screw things up all over or you're worried the mods think the whole TOPIC was inappropriate. If there isn't a thing at the end explaining whether it's "Bad Thread" or "Bad Discussion all over" or "a couple of bad eggs screwing it up for everyone" then reasonable members of the discussion don't feel safe continuing the discussion by creating a new thread. or what-have-you. And that can do more damage than leaving the whole thing alone.

Anyway, I get that I'm not going to be happy with every thread closure or every banning (or lack thereof) and that's inevitable. But I do feel like thread closures have a bigger impact on the forum than individual bans--and not necessarily in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahru2 View Post
    I do like the new RPS blog layout, much more than the (in my opinion) dull previous iteration. If only you (RPS staff) could somehow "fix" that issue when logging in to reply, and it directs one to the front page, instead to where one intends (the article in question, with comment box ready to be typed in).
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Oh God Yes! That's been around since what feels like forever.
    This! If there's a way to fix that, I'd be very very very happy to see it fixed. It's a very minor inconvenience, but it's one of those little things that makes the site that much more friendly.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 19-09-2013 at 09:04 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

ok, for the record, we are working on a system that involves getting rid of users without having to call in the deathstar. Thats as specific as Im going to get. Hence me fighting for this forum and its inhabitants in the form of me being for threads that tackle these subjects, if closely observed.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Network Hub
    QuantaCat, are you then basically promising that if I open a thread on Tropes vs Women, or the recent GTA kerfuffle, or PA and why what they did wasn't OK, or any of those sorts, and marked it as a "No scum thread", you'll punish people who go to fuck it up?

Thats what I said; Ill prune the shit out of it. (or get Berzee or anthile to do it, as I can only get rid of users, not posts)

That being said, I am going to bed now, so either the other mods will take care of it, or any offending posts will have to wait till tomorrow at around 8AM CEST.

Oh and note: there is an excellent discussion going on in the "PCGamer have basically..." thread, which is about the PCGamer article on GTA V. That hasnt been locked yet and its looking ok. Have a blast.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 19-09-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Network Hub
    There is now a person in the comment thread going on about how "being offended by words" is something you shouldn't do. A privledged little shit is literally saying that even if someone uses hate speech and slurs, you shouldn't care, because it's just words! And then they go on repeatedly calling people "stupid" and using 4chan meme talk showing exactly where they're from and what kind of attitude they're supporting. And lots like him and going on and on about how they're so oppressed that they're being told they should care about women and trans people.

Can we please just ban people like this and make actually useful, readable comment threads, please? There will be no loss. It's not like there's even a report function for us to use.

RPS needs a good culling before it can become a good website again. The writers are fine. What's allowed to go on in the comments are not.
    Last edited by Karrius; 20-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.

need a link to forward to jim.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    There is now a person in the comment thread going on about how "being offended by words" is something you shouldn't do. A privledged little shit is literally saying that even if someone uses hate speech and slurs, you shouldn't care, because it's just words! And then they go on repeatedly calling people "stupid" and using 4chan meme talk showing exactly where they're from and what kind of attitude they're supporting. And lots like him and going on and on about how they're so oppressed that they're being told they should care about women and trans people.

Can we please just ban people like this and make actually useful, readable comment threads, please? There will be no loss. It's not like there's even a report function for us to use.

RPS needs a good culling before it can become a good website again. The writers are fine. What's allowed to go on in the comments are not.
    I'm still waiting for that apology you owe me for your little outburst yesterday tbh.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Network Hub
    Kadayi, for somebody who said I shouldn't quote what people said in other threads, I'd prefer you not stalk and harass me in other threads after I said I gave up and left the argument. Thanks.

QuantaCat, it's BruceFnLee, http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...ge-2/#comments , with such choice quotes as:

>too stupid to comprehend the point
    >too stupid to comprehend what makes good journalism

Okay, this is officially ridiculous in my eyes. Words. We are talking about not covering a PC gaming event because of being offended by words. It’s absurd and asinine, no matter how much you try to convince us that it’s what needs to be done.
    If you guys are so offended by WORDS, whatever those words may be, that you’re unable to do your job and report on PC gaming, then it is YOUR problem, not ours, yet you’re making it our problem.

Yes, because apparently no words are ever actually able to convey threat or harm! It's just words, and they've never been hurt by words before, so who cares, right?

forwarded and please kad, you dont need a public apology if at all. take this to private messages.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    forwarded and please kad, you dont need a public apology if at all. take this to private messages.
    Dude made some seriously wild and totally unacceptable off base accusations without any justification, but lacks the basic human decency to recant them: -.

You keep defending those transphobes. Are there any other minorities you'd like to argue that deserve being made fun of while you're at it?
    I keep defending transphobes? Really Do I? I must of missed the meeting where this 'fact' was determined in truth. I guess I was probably too busy proposing that the writers of GTA are misogynistic to notice.

For someone who purports to be a 'a decent human being' he's not exactly setting an example of excellence from what I can see by failing to acknowledge his failings.

Laughable behaviour tbh.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-09-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Dude, lay off. That's a flagrant misunderstanding of how Karrius was trying to use the word "keep." That was explained to you already. If that still leaves you with a bone to pick, fine, but at least don't clog up the thread with it. This is between two individuals about a personal matter and a mod already asked you to take it to PMs.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Once again, I have to click 'back' twice to get back from an article!

ah, so it wasnt only me. yeah, I have that too.
    - Tom De Roeck.

The subtitles of the articles don't show up anywhere except for that small "News and things" box. I'm missing many puns!