Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    A single source who admits (claims?) to being a scorned lover posting angry evil stuff about their ex? It must all be true!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    One would think that people have better things to do then jump the gun based on an angry blog post made by an angry ex. Since they are ... well, angry, and often malicious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    One would think that people have better things to do then jump the gun based on an angry blog post made by an angry ex. Since they are ... well, angry, and often malicious.
    But that's just what the feminists want you to think!

Seriously, if it's a choice between the mythical angry feminazis corrupting our games journalists and the sheer bile and venom in those posts, then... Jesus. Better cut off my genitals, I guess.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by MentlegenOh View Post
    I'm talking about the very real conflict of interest that an RPS and Kotaku writer apparently ignored, and the complete refusal by the "New Games Journalism" to engage with any story that might make them look less than perfect.
    None of it happened before Nathan wrote about her game on RPS, ergo nothing to do with RPS.

And the one thing obvious from all of it is that her and the boyfriend are both quite fucked up people. Not saying that in a nasty way, but in a 'please could we just leave them alone' one. She cheated on him with a bunch of people. He wrote a 9000 word essay online in response. He had 'evidence' for all of it because all these important discussions they were having about their relationship and her cheating and so on were done on Facebook messenger, rather than face-to-face. The whole thing is messed up, and has nothing to do with videogames.

Obscure Node
    More and more sites are picking up the story despite of heavy damage control by major websites/boards:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4nmr1 (Total Biscuit)
    http://n4g.com/news/1569416/kotaku-s...verage-for-sex
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Equc...IAlpM2osoAitjQ (this was previously taken down by ZQ with a C&D)
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/foru...roversy?page=1

Just in case someone wants to still read gamenosh since it went 404 due to heavy trafic:
    Google cached version:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...inn-scandal%2F

More incoming

Obscure Node
    It has everything to do with videogames journalism (which RPS is) when critic and artist are in the same bed.. literally.

And this one source argument is non-sense. What would it take? For Zoe to talk about it openly when it very well means career suicide? Or for Joshua Boggs to admit adultery in public? or for Nathan Grayson to admit sleeping with the author of the game he reviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
    It has everything to do with videogames journalism (which RPS is) when critic and artist are in the same bed.. literally.

And this one source argument is non-sense. What would it take? For Zoe to talk about it openly when it very well means career suicide? Or for Joshua Boggs to admit adultery in public? or for Nathan Grayson to admit sleeping with the author of the game he reviewed?
    people can sleep with whomever they please, doesnt really mean theyre doing favours, nor would I jump to any conclusions.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 19-08-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"More and more sites?" Aggregate links, nothing gaming sites desperate for clicks and forum posts? Regardless of who's "right", do you people seriously not see how you make yourself look with this? I think I agree with deano2099, to be honest: it's someone's messy personal life and nothing more, and the MRA brigade have just seized on the information as a potential chance to discredit evil game journalists and do... something, I don't know what.

Obscure Node
    What happened:

Conflict of Interest
    1. A situation that has the potential to undermine the impartiality of a person because of the possibility of a clash between the person's self-interest and professional interest or public interest.
    2. A situation in which a party's responsibility to a second-party limits its ability to discharge its responsibility to a third-party.

What should have happened:

Recuse : To disqualify or seek to disqualify from participation in a decision on grounds such as prejudice or personal involvement

It's not the sleeping around with five guys while in a relationship part that is the problem but the being a game dev that is sleeping with the ones that are reviewing my game part.
    All the while publicly expressing completely opposed views on relationships,feminism and integrity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's a long standing policy of RPS that they do videogames journalism. They don't do videogames journalism journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    something, I don't know what.
    Revel in the adrenaline kick, probably.

What happened:

Conflict of Interest
    No.

What happened was that a person who has had a relationship with another person has made a 9000 word post with the specific aim to discredit or defame that other person as revenge for the break-up. Such a post is inherently malicious, unthrustworthy and most importantly: Not worthy of our attention.

Nothing you are going to say is going to change that.

Obscure Node
    I do not really need to say anything.

The blog post that you refer to (and that i suspect you read or skimmed through since it is quite long) has all the proof of this factual conflict of interests. I am talking about the screenshots of chat logs in which all of the above are admitted by Zoe Quinn.
    The blog post also contains at the beginning a short video that is offered as proof that the logs are genuine.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The blog post that you refer to (and that i suspect you read or skimmed through since it is quite long) has all the proof of this factual conflict of interests. I am talking about the screenshots of chat logs in which all of the above are admitted by Zoe Quinn.
    The only thing it lacks is any actual links to anything written by the supposed journalist/s after she supposedly slept with them.

Sleeping with someone and then giving their game a good review is potentially problematic I agree. Giving someone's game a good review then later meeting and sleeping with them is entirely fine.

Obscure Node
    As a reward you mean?

As a reward you mean?

As if Nathan Greyson has his journalistic integrity comprimised by a woman flashing her tits.
    As if a game developer would flash her tits to comprimise a journalist.

Obscure Node
    Perhaps it was a rude joke but I was trying to make a point: that it is a conflict of interest regardless of timing.
    Also the ad hominem is not really required, don't you think?

Only if you view sex as a currency. I don't.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Perhaps it was a rude joke but I was trying to make a point: that it is a conflict of interest regardless of timing.
    No it isn't. Unless you've got evidence the journo was promised sex in exchange for positive coverage.

Much as I hate to feed the trolls, I read TotalBiscuit's response and the first page or two of the Escapist thread out of hiorrified fascination and, uh, yeah, still not really doing your grand crusade too many favours there, sir.

I don't like TB's dismissal of "SJW bullshit" etc., but that's his choice, and I think he comes down too hard on the idea anyone's censoring some grand conspiracy... but the thing is he's plainly still not impressed by the fact that this whole mess is being discussed all over the internet at all. It's not some grand coup against teh ebil, backstabbing wimminz. Seriously, it's really not. And the Escapist thread doesn't look like any groundswell among the people either - there's at least as many people saying "Yeah, and?" as there are people siding with you, if not more.

As people have said, regardless of how poorly Zoe Quinn has or has not handled her private life versus her professional life, this plainly isn't anyone's business but hers and her partners. Her game got minimal fanfare from any major website, it's free, and the timeline simply doesn't remotely support any grand plan of "OH I WILL MAKE THIS HARLOT FAMOUS NOW I HAVE SEEN HER LADYPARTS" or any such thing. Whatever corruption may or may not exist in games journalism, to hold this up as any evidence of it is stretching at best, noxious at worst. It's basically no different to storming into your local rape crisis centre or something and demanding one of the counsellors get fired because she cheated on you.

A bunch of angry internet people got their feelings hurt and decided to lash out because they saw the person who'd hurt them betray a moment of weakness by doing something very ill-advised. I don't know if you've already given up on this forum as a nest of seething SJW stereotypes, but seriously, if you're still reading, as Grizzly already said, that's all this is. Christ, at least the people who attacked Gawker didn't pretend they were doing it for any reason other than the lulz/they don't like women talking back to them.