Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamFear View Post
    Attachment 190
    Are the main page header links borked for anyone else? It looks like there's text in the AoE:Online ad that's interfering with them.
    Same thing is happening to me using Firefox 6.

Sorry if this was discussed somewhere else (though I couldn't find anything on the forum) and I didn't want to start a new thread just for this.

Is Adam Smith a new full-time editor, the replacement for Quintin, or is he just a contributor like others? I noticed he's got a lot of posts lately and he has his own color in the comments, but I figure there should have been an announcement or something to introduce him as a new member of the staff. I read the site everyday, but perhaps I just missed that announcement (and the search function is just as non-helpful as always). Or maybe it was never there in the first place?
    Last edited by aego; 06-09-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Adam Smith is a world famous economist and one of the architects of modern society. Of course he has his own colour in the comments. Can you imagine how RPS would work without the division of labour? Jim would have to write whole articles instead of getting Alec to do the introduction and John to add all the punctuation. It'd be chaos.

Obscure Node
    *EDIT* Turns out I wasn't banned after all, just the thread with all the swearing deleted, which is entirely fair and judicious. Comment cheerily withdrawn.

I still think there are community members who are a bit too quick to make an insulting one-liner at other commenters, or even worse repeat an existing one with minor formatting changes, and then piss off without bothering to read their victim's response, but that's more "general internet feedback" really and thus unfair to lay at RPS Towers' door.
    Last edited by Bilbo; 07-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Have you ever considered that the problem lies with the way you express yourself and not with the community?

I want to use Pulse ( http://market.android.com/details?id=com.alphonso.pulse) to read RPS on my phone but the application wont play nice with the site :'( Zooming does not work smoothly. I'll try complaining to them too..

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Tell me what you like or dislike about RPS. You don't have to be nice, but you don't have to be rude, either.
    I have been visiting the site for at-the-least a year now, easily the best PC biased webby on the interwebs... by far! So good in fact that other than wanting to add a comment from time to time, I felt I had nothing to add that had not been already said. So not only is the RPS webby the best online, it's community is excellent as well... which is amazing considering the amount of people signed up on the thing.

Obscure Node
    Was reading RPS just now and felt the need to provide some "Jolly good work!" and "Keep it up, chaps!" encouragement. Adam Smith is an excellent addition to the crew and has just the right RPS-y flavour to him. I also really enjoy the sim articles from Tim Stone. While sims may not be the face of PC gaming as they once were, they are still an integral component and there are always interesting things going on. I'm also very glad to see the return of more regular mod coverage. RPS has been my go to PC gaming site for nearly three years, and I see no sign of it slowing down.

Yes, I am really pleased with Stone's stuff. I hope it will become a long term fixture.

Obscure Node
    Ooh, site feedback? I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but I would love to be able to block stories by tags. (For example, I don't want to learn anything about Bioshock: Infinities. Nothing, nada, zilch. I'm already going to buy it no matter what). I don't want to go to the RPS front page and see a story about it. Or maybe I could block articles involving Bobby Kotick.

I don't know if this mixes well with your advertising model, though. Mind you, I wouldn't click on these stories anyway, so you wouldn't lose any clicks.

Edit : Desnarkified :

Hi RPS. Please can you do something about this comment. I don't see RPS as a good venue for casual racism like this :

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...comment-822227
    Last edited by Wooly Wugga Wugga; 12-10-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Wool, you need to email the guys about spam comments and the suchlike :) contact@rockpapershotgun.com is best.

I'm not sure where else to post this, but I hate that auto-scroll thing so much.
    So, so much.
    It is slow and annoying and I am certain it eats babies.

I just want to quickly post in support of the deletion policy. I am glad it is pretty aggressively pursued. The recent Project Zomboid thing is a good example of the way it reduces the human costs of abusive internet behaviour, and at the same time protects RPS comments threads as a space for actual discussion and debate a lot of the time. Please keep it up.

This may be highly inflammatory, but I feel that someone needs to say it:
    Please stop covering hardware.

You've recently been posting some things of the "build/upgrade your PC" sort. They feel desperate and aren't very good, especially compared to your usual quality content. You yourself admit you aren't too knowledgeable about the subject. I get that RPS wants to grow and expand and I do hope you suceed in that, but please don't try too hard. Consider that hardware stuff maybe isn't your strong suit, and focus on what made you great: Covering PC gaming in an honest, funny and just plain superb way. Don't try to expand into covering everything gaming related with a web comic and maybe even some console stuff and lose your focus in the process. The stuff you've been writing about hardware wasn't very good and there's plenty of better places for that. It's not what people go to RPS for.

If you're really desperate to get more hits for making ad money (you greedy bastards), may I suggest more Onion Bog sort of stuff. Unlike the 30th "Skyrim released another pixel, it's green with a blueish tinge" update, these will still draw clicks years after they've been written.

Thanks for considering :)
    --

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Can you guys enable strike-through for the forums? Or if you have, can you share what the tags are for it?
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezhar View Post

...may I suggest more Onion Bog sort of stuff.
    I came in here to suggest this. It's why I really stuck with RPS way back when and I'd love to see more regular installments. Aside: I'm jumping with joy with every Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud update and I know RPS is capable of doing similar stuff.

Oh, and more Electronic Wireless Shows would be grand.

Regarding the hardware articles: I fully embrace them. I don't care if the guys don't know much about the bits and bobs. It makes for a more lively and public discussion than what's generally found in the forums. Tapping into the hivemind's knowledge is ideal and those posts always get people talking.
    steam

Clearly The Worst Ninja is game-o-diary-o-thing of choice.

I too would like to see more of those but then I possibly love them a bit too much.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Just a note that the Eurogamer ad server is severely bogging the site down today. I thought I'd lost my internet connection at one point, and opened another site in a new tab to test whether I had or not.

Hmm, just wondering, we're having a lot of Skyrim stuff, could we have a round-up (maybe top of the next Skyrim post) of what all the useful controls/ abilities for that game actually are?
    Not to sound like a total moron (too late?), but I found out you could sprint with alt at level 35, and a fiend is at 40 and didn't now you could move things with shift + E. Maybe RPS can do the job for Bethesda, and help the readers out on that front. Assuming there's more. Goddamn, sprint makes the game so much better T__T
    Edit: Right click in the map will allow you to rotate your view? Thanks, RPS comments!
    Last edited by aerozol; 22-11-2011 at 11:21 PM.