Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    My Chrome Browser has problems displaying RPS

Most of the time it looks like this:
    http://postimg.org/image/gvjdgmek5/

Reloading the page over and over again fixes it sometimes

Any ideas how to permanently fix it besides using another browser?

For the love of god can we get an option to turn off the auto-scroll thing when you click a link to an article. I get the reasoning behind it but 90% of the time my interest in an article will be peaked without having to read the entire first paragraph.

Also the password reset form doesn't recognise the correct answer to the type shotgun with 2 between each character input.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Another thread bites the dust.
    steam: sketch

Banned
    So when is hamster getting banned for saying that all feminists are manhating lesbians? You closed the thread but hamster can still post. Don't you think you got it a little backwards?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I'm going to say one thing about the thread closing and leave it. Hopefully that doesn't count as continued bickering. :\

I don't think it's particularly excellent to close a whole thread without very clear explanation. This time I might not have liked the explanation, but it was at least there. It's all very well to say "Well then you know why we closed it--it wasn't excellent." But we can't very well avoid the problem in the future if you don't tell us what about it was unexcellent. That's the thing about simple rules--delightful as they are in fair weather, everyone takes them slightly differently, so if you don't provide clear context when issues do occur it feels arbitrary and unfair rather than laid-back and nice. Some of the recent thread closures were utterly unexplained and left quite a few posters confused. That's pretty darn unexcellent moderation and I guess it's RPS's site so I can't do anything about that other than say I think it's not in keeping with the spirit very rules that lead to the closures in the first place.

More generally, I get that some threads just get really nasty and back-biting and blech and it's better just to shut the things ... but when other small steps are taken (warning or banning problem members) threads should be given a second chance. I mean ... the other alternative is to create a new identical thread or just not talk about whatever got closed--the first feels precarious as in some forums that's frowned upon as flippant (is it frowned upon as flippant here? there isn't a policy about that sort of thing ...). The second seems unfair to excellent posters in the closed thread.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 17-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Jim was pretty clear, the whole thing was unexcellent.

Posts defending people like Anita Sarkesian, or saying that misogyny is wrong, or that rape threats on the internet are out of order, are not allowed. We are meant to shut up and give the trolls a free platform to say what they want for three days before someone finally comes along and bans them.

And I'm not fucking joking. It's one thing for us, knowing the background here, and figuring out what's happening. Can you imagine the reaction of someone new if arriving here and seeing that the straw that go the Women vs Tropes thread closed was someone saying "Why is it that women can enjoy reading, films, sports or any other form of entertainment but are fundamentally incapable of enjoying a computer game?"

They can ban me if they want, their contempt for their own community is pathetic, they're happy for the forums to be the same awful platform for bigots they don't want the comments thread to be, they'd rather attack the regulars rather than actually invest time in sorting the problems.

My only regret is that I actually subscribed to RPS for a while. I'm genuinely starting to resent every dollar I gave them. Zero attempt to engage with their own community on any level whatsoever. Just shutting down conversation and criticism left, right and centre. It's properly pathetic. See you all somewhere else, some other time.

Banned
    I sorta agree. This whole thing has been a management fiasco.

How it is that people can run a major website but don't understand the basic laws of forum management is beyond me. You have to give detailed reasoning for bannings and closings in the last post in a thread. Not that my experience has been any better on other forums with volunteer moderation.

I never actually read any articles on this site except the Solieum Infernum one that I decided to buy the game after reading.

I'm not going to go so far as to flounce like deano did, although a justified one in this case, but I couldn't care less about the threat of a banning.

Shit I've been banned from mmorpg.com like a solid 8 times and it wasn't over anything more important than the shitlords who insist on a definition of MMO that makes Draw Something quality and who refuse to admit that the first M is massively, like the website, and not massive. And I have like 3000 posts there? Not a lot admittedly, my longest running from has 12000 spread over various accounts and although its been a solid 8 years now I was afk for long periods.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I think the issue is the same one we had before the burst of mods. It isn't so much that the rules are undefined (regardless of what some people may argue, I think it all falls under common sense and the blanket rule gives more flexibility, which I am all for), it is that they are sporadically enforced.

For whatever reason, we can have people in one thread saying things like "You are a fucking moron and I hope you die" and we can have armies of people running around and harassing others in the hopes of purifying their preferred forums. And nothing happens. Then we get a thread closed and people freak out, not because they are confused as to why it was finally closed (although, seriously, I do wonder what the criteria to actually have action taken is...) but more because they wanted to continue doing whatever they were doing. If we listen to certain crowds, we would basically need a set of rules forty pages long with every specific post edit/censorship made into a specific rule (and likely an insistence that certain users should get grandfathered in under the old rules...).

I dunno, it is a hard problem with no easy solution. Personally, I would probably just kill the forums entirely and focus entirely on cleaning up the comments section (or vice versa), or nuke both of them (as a lazy human being, that is totally what I would do :p).
    But Matt Hullum of RoosterTeeth also raised a great point during their last podcast about the importance of having your own website and your own community (and basically cited the Broken Lizard Comedy Troupe falling off the face of the earth as why it is bad to rely on social networks for communication. Just having an "unofficial" subreddit like TB does is great, especially as it lets him distance himself when they act like morons. But reddit won't be around forever, and there is no easy way to know what the next big thing will be), and there are lots of great discussions and what not that just wouldn't work without a general discussion forum.

I can't speak for everyone (but I do speak for a few folk who will remain nameless...), but a few months back I was VERY close to saying "Fuck it. I love RPS's website and content, but I hate RPS's community" and leaving the forums due to near constant harassment and a generally vitriolic environment. It got a lot better after the few thread closings and the threat of new mods (I suspect because certain posters who will remain nameless got the fuck out of general gaming and stuck to the less closely watched boards...), but between the realization (and the public screaming of the fact) that the mods could only really delete posts and the rise of a few hot button issues where said behavior was encouraged (because, since everyone worth a shit universally disagreed with certain statements, nobody complained when the people who said those statements were relentlessly egged on and insulted), we are rapidly shifting back to the craphole. We aren't there yet, but the writing is on the walls (and it might even be worse now as there are now ways to "justify" the harassment and what not).
    Especially as the actual solution, modding-wise, still seems to be temp bans (that just bring the person back angrier than before, with a sense of "You can't fucking touch me, I'm invincible") or thread closures. Neither of which is much of a threat. Hell, the latter is actually a reward to the people who only act like assholes because they seem to get physically angry when someone disagrees with them.

I'm not the kind of person who is going to scream about how much they hate RPS, because I still love the site and I still love reading what Jim and the rest of the hivemind write. But, as made evident by the people above me, not everyone realizes that fostering a community is a huge endeavor or that you can like something without liking the people who like it.

Also guys, here is a tip: If you are trying to get across that you want the community to be better, don't brag about how you have been banned and driven out of multiple other communities :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I don't think it's particularly excellent to close a whole thread without very clear explanation. This time I might not have liked the explanation, but it was at least there. It's all very well to say "Well then you know why we closed it--it wasn't excellent." But we can't very well avoid the problem in the future if you don't tell us what about it was unexcellent.
    Especially after the thread already got unexcellent several pages before. I don't think more strict moderation is the answer, but maybe more regular is? (sorry, but I think I forgot how to english - I hope you understand what I am trying to say)
    Last edited by c-Row; 17-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Banned
    More straw please Gundato, I can almost finish building my awesome maze.

Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    More straw please Gundato, I can almost finish building my awesome maze.
    I think you mean ... maize. Wait.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Banned
    I think you mean ... maize. Wait.
    That might work if I was making a corn maize.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Wheat are you lot talking about? I can barley follow this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Wheat are you lot talking about? I can barley follow this discussion.
    Short version: There was a lot of nastiness of various kinds (namely sexist) in the Women vs. Tropes in Video Games discussion thread. That sparked discussion here about the way moderation was occuring--in particular because people were getting warned for using insults and whatnot with respect to folks who were making sexist but "clean" remarks who were not being affected at all. The discussion in that thread got closed followed by another thread which started discussion about thread closures without ample explanation which got closed. While that was happening, a thread about a video attacking Anita Sarkesian as not being a real gamer popped up, started some fires, and got closed. Not all of these thread closures involved a concluding "This is closed" moderator post, let alone explanation.

Hopefully that explains the context of the above few posts a little better. There has been a flurry of related occurrences, attempts to discuss those occurrences, and there is some discontent with respect to how the site handled it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Yeah, no, I got it. That was a futile attempt to derail into a pun thread before this also becomes a no-go area.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Yeah, no, I got it. That was a futile attempt to derail into a pun thread before this also becomes a no-go area.
    Straw bad...
    Nothing good can be grained by this discussion, it's just cerealized nonsense.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I didn't even notice you spelt it "wheat." Sorry. :(

Your attempts at dry wheat went ryeght over my head. Corn you forgive me if I insert enough staple crops into this post?

Edit: Thanks Berzee for the extra grain!
    Last edited by gwathdring; 18-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I didn't even notice you spelt it "wheat."
    FTFY10charrrrrr
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Posts defending people like Anita Sarkesian, or saying that misogyny is wrong, or that rape threats on the internet are out of order, are not allowed. We are meant to shut up and give the trolls a free platform to say what they want for three days before someone finally comes along and bans them.
    Don't talk nonsense, Deano. You are well aware that's not the case. The thread had run its course, as so many others. I fully appreciate people's annoyance with trolls and bigots being given a platform, and bans and thread closures will continue as a means to police that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Don't talk nonsense, Deano. You are well aware that's not the case. The thread had run its course, as so many others. I fully appreciate people's annoyance with trolls and bigots being given a platform, and bans and thread closures will continue as a means to police that.
    Well, we're batting a thousand on thread closures but your net's only bagged two guys. So what the hell are we supposed to think?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen