Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Maybe John just didn't want to deal with people pointing out factual errors like the one time he tried to prove his point with statistics.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The following image represents what I think of the article and closing the comments while pre-emptively "answering" any questions that might come up.

"Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    It's probably worth noting that since the article went up, no new posts seem to have been added to the long-running Women vs Tropes in Video Games forum thread. I suppose it wouldn't be entirely fair to assume that however many people have complained about the disabled comments impacting on their freedom of expression, none of them are actually that keen to debate the video itself with this community, in a manner that complies with the forum rules… but it sure looks that way. :P

Quote Originally Posted by RaveTurned View Post
    It's probably worth noting that since the article went up, no new posts seem to have been added to the long-running Women vs Tropes in Video Games forum thread. I suppose it wouldn't be entirely fair to assume that however many people have complained about the disabled comments impacting on their freedom of expression, none of them are actually that keen to debate the video itself with this community, in a manner that complies with the forum rules… but it sure looks that way. :P
    The video was already discussed in that thread about a week ago when the video first popped up.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The video was already discussed in that thread about a week ago when the video first popped up.
    Then it's fair to assume that all those who wanted to discuss it here have done, and so wouldn't have complained about censorship.

Some people (myself included) just dislike the idea of censorship on what is mostly an open platform for discussion.

Others (also myself) dislike it when people have a public jab at those who don't fall in line with their view point without the chance for response. Hence why we seem to have people coming here, mostly saying they agree with the comments being closed because it's a toxic subject but not with John's closing statements.

Steam ID

yes, BUT! none so far have come up with a thread to complain about john, just complain about the "censorship".

Please make a thread where you disagree with john, and let that be discussed. Im all for that, really, John should be able to take some criticism, as long as it exists within the bounds of our no -isms policy.

edit: and of course, keep it civil and free of just personal attacks. I think personal attacks should be aimed at his mailbox (john@rockpapershotgun.com) or twitter account (@botherer), both of which are public knowledge.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I think what I find the most insulting is that they're now censoring posts on the forums too.

http://www.ihiopc.com/censorshipthread.png

Funny how the mods refute censoring, before just deleting an entire thread they don't agree with.

Here's an actual open discussion on this topic (The article itself, and censorship)

http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInActi...ally/?sort=top

Fighting for one thing (gender equality) while taking away another (freedom of speech) isn't exactly the best approach to the topic in my opinion...
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Again, freedom of speech is too general. youre talking about it now, arent you? the forums are still a prominent part of RPS. the comment section is like the garbage bin, with few exceptions.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Fighting for one thing (gender equality) while taking away another (freedom of speech) isn't exactly the best approach to the topic in my opinion...
    Private internet boards do not have freedom of speech.

That said, I don't think John is very good with PR. The cause is right, in my humble opinion, but the man driving the cause certainly isn't doing it in the best possible way.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Private internet boards do not have freedom of speech.

That said, I don't think John is very good with PR. The cause is right, in my humble opinion, but the man driving the cause certainly isn't doing it in the best possible way.
    Well... possible to John, possibly.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Again, freedom of speech is too general. youre talking about it now, arent you? the forums are still a prominent part of RPS. the comment section is like the garbage bin, with few exceptions.
    You're right, freedom of speech is too general. But it's a generalized term that we instantly pair with nearly any censoring of expression. And whether or not these forums are here for the discussion (pointless: since you're deleting threads about it on here anyways), the article is censoring expression, and we all know that Anita has no interest in genuine feedback, so the video is a given as well.

The typical RPS article format (in fact, AFAIK, most if not all previous ones) includes a common and frequently used community outlet for on-topic expression. No one is going to sit and say RPS doesn't have the right to disable comments. But it absolutely is in poor taste. And as a poster said above, incredibly ironic, considering that the whole idea and goal behind the article and video is furthering civil and social rights.

Since the actual thread on censorship was deleted, I'll go ahead and post this here. Not that it means much at all to RPS.

I'm incredibly disappointed with the level of quality coming from the journalism involved with Anita Sarkeesian. Having actually taken a bit of time to research the situation a bit more, I really find it kind of reprehensible that she's being held up as some beacon of civil justice when in fact she's just a fraudulent SJW. But honestly... I could handle that.

I'm even more disappointed, and honestly quite offended, that RPS staff have started deleting forum content, just simply because it's critical of a direction RPS has taken very recently. With that said, I just can't force myself to continue trusting RPS's journalistic & social integrity in light of all this. I've removed RPS from my speed dial, and I'll do my best to see that RPS get's no more views from me.
    Last edited by TheCapulet; 26-11-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Last posts are so dramatic.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to have a serious discussion on the sarkeesian thing, maybe critisize her and john, please feel free and do so, but please stop complaining about the comments being deactivated for the actual article.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Last posts are so dramatic.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to have a serious discussion on the sarkeesian thing, maybe critisize her and john, please feel free and do so, but please stop complaining about the comments being deactivated for the actual article.
    Quanta, this is people giving feedback in the feedback thread. There's no better place for feedback than here.

Steam ID

Quanta, this is people giving feedback in the feedback thread. There's no better place for feedback than here.
    I actually perceive the Feedback thread to be more technical in nature, rather than actual contentwise. Did I misunderstand?

Either way, I posted in the moderation thread about all of this.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Tell me what you like or dislike about RPS. You don't have to be nice, but you don't have to be rude, either.
    I actually perceive the Feedback thread to be more technical in nature, rather than actual contentwise. Did I misunderstand?
    First post of the thread by Jim.

Steam ID

First post of the thread by Jim.
    Ah ok. well.. ok. silly me. You're right.

Anyhow, the point of disliking the comment section turned off has been made enough times already, and if youre really not agreeing with John, as in, factually, personally, I defer you to actually posting about it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

I keep trying to explain this. It is on every page of every article: there is no freedom of speech on RPS.

And crying "censorship" is bullshit.

This is NOT a platform for you to publish on as you see fit. This is my house. It is not the world at large, or a social networking site, or your democracy, or the internet. It is a public house, owned by the RPS editors. It is my home, that I pay for, that I run how I see fit.

If you use it to say things I don't like, I get to delete them. And that's the only policy we will ever have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    I keep trying to explain this. It is on every page of every article: there is no freedom of speech on RPS.

And crying "censorship" is bullshit.

This is NOT a platform for you to publish on as you see fit. This is my house. It is not the world at large, or a social networking site, or your democracy, or the internet. It is a public house, owned by the RPS editors. It is my home, that I pay for, that I run how I see fit.

If you use it to say things I don't like, I get to delete them. And that's the only policy we will ever have.
    I'm sorry, but I made the mistake of keeping this subscribed and just seen this.

I just have this to say: You're right. It's your house, owned by you and ruled as you see fit. But it is in fact paid for by advertisers. And those advertisers give you money to put shit on your site, because they expect me to be there looking at it.

You're obviously not going to go broke because one dude decides he doesn't like how you run the place. But what you're doing now is wholesale disrespecting your readers. You frequently give them a clear and open public forum (Comment section) to post their opinions. But when their opinion is about a passionate subject that you happen to view differently and you deny them the outlet you've provided thus far, they're going to be upset. Not because you owe them anything; you don't owe anyone a god damned thing where that's concerned. But because you've let them know in no uncertain terms that their opinions don't matter. That they don't have the capability to influence editorial direction (You are writing for them after all). That they don't really matter to you as long as you're getting your views and no one threatens your 'home' with thoughts contrary to your own. That you have zero respect for them at all.

Hollow warning, I'm sure. But that seems like a sure fire way to run a business into the ground.

At the very least, I know for a certain fact that I felt incredibly disrespected. I am also certain that I'll do my best to see that RPS gets no page views from me. And if you're going to blatantly tell people that you don't care about their opinions, I doubt I'll be the last, even today. (And via reddit, I know for certain I'm not close to the first today.)

Whether you like it or not, a huge portion of your audience will want freedom of expression on your site. Not because they assume you owe it to them, but because they're not accustomed to it being revoked at ANY time in life. Because the ideology behind the free flow of information doesn't end at the individual level. When you tell them that they can't say something you don't like just simply because they're here, they're not going to be here for very much longer.
    Last edited by TheCapulet; 26-11-2013 at 01:14 PM.