Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Except, at least the way I understand it, turning the comments off wasn't because people would disagree. It was because people would disagree in a rude, confrontational manner, saying the same dumb shit as always and being as intransigent as they might accuse RPS of being. Disagreeing is one thing, spitting filth is another, and I can understand their not wanting to have the second on their site.
    I mean, Walker even said on the article that he was sorry about preventing actual civilised discussion from happening.
    Last edited by Gorzan; 26-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCapulet View Post
    But what you're doing now is wholesale disrespecting your readers.
    No it isn't. This notion of yours that you speak for every reader of the site is a fantasy.

I sincerely hope that most people see the difference between closing a comments section for not agreeing with a view and closing a comments section because of the comments flooding in to attack Sarkeesian's person with language that is not fit for any sort of civil discussion.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Personally I would gladly close down most comment sections in the Internet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    I keep trying to explain this. It is on every page of every article: there is no freedom of speech on RPS.

And crying "censorship" is bullshit.

This is NOT a platform for you to publish on as you see fit. This is my house. It is not the world at large, or a social networking site, or your democracy, or the internet. It is a public house, owned by the RPS editors. It is my home, that I pay for, that I run how I see fit.

If you use it to say things I don't like, I get to delete them. And that's the only policy we will ever have.
    Which is totally fine, though it does lead some of us to wonder what you (RPS as a whole) are trying accomplish with regards to this issue. It strikes me that simply 'getting rid of stuff we don't like from RPS' is not the aim. After all, you regularly post about people saying or doing stuff you don't like just to highlight how awful it is. And of course, attract the trolls in the process. The easiest way to avoid having this stuff cluttering up your own house is not to talk about it.

Obviously that's not the approach here. You want to do something about this issue in gaming as a whole, which is great. And some stuff, like Nathan's Blizzard interview, is a terrific example of this. But then you have John posting the latest Tropes video, then baiting the trolls actively in the article, then closing comments, which just pushes the discussion elsewhere (Reddit). And I'm not sure that's not having the totally opposite effect to the one you want.

Obviously there's no easy answer to this. How do you cover this stuff in a constructive way that might change how people think, and how the industry works. But from an editorial point of view, it might be worth considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    No it isn't. This notion of yours that you speak for every reader of the site is a fantasy.
    The context for that is a bit off. I meant primarily when threads were being deleted in the forums without warning. And I'm obviously not trying to speak for every RPS reader. Common sense dude.
    Last edited by TheCapulet; 26-11-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Obscure Node
    Has it ever been constructive to engage with trolls? I mean, "Don't feed the trolls" is basic internet survival knowledge. And if you find yourself targeted by John's preemptive answers, then you're a troll.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I thought the site was run using revenue generated via ads and donations/subscribers as opposed to out of pocket of Jim or any of the other members. If that's the case then "my gaff, my money, my rules" is a bit of an overstatement. Of course the finances are none of my or anyone else's business and the guys can set whatever rules they want, just stating an opinion here.

Regarding what Deano said about pushing the conversation elsewhere, which is what has happened here. I think that is much more damaging in the long run. You can control what's on this site, but you can't control what happens elsewhere and if people come here for information they get it first hand. If they read about it on Reddit it could have changed from what happened and be praised completely differently.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

No, you're not speaking for every RPS reader. You"re speaking on behalf of those who want to make women more uncomfortable with coming to this site. You're speaking on behalf of those who want the right to spew poisonous bile across the internet without being told no, you cannot do that here. You"re speaking on behalf of the person who thought what he posted in that deleted thread was somehow an acceptable level of debate or a discussion worth having when it did little more than insult. You're speaking on behalf of a person who thought it was reasonable to post a picture mentioning frigid ice planets at the end of a seemingly innocent post. You're speaking on behalf of everyone who wants to silence everyone who even so much raises the matter of how awful a place for women games can be.

Good man! Your mum must be so proud.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    No, you're not speaking for every RPS reader. You"re speaking on behalf of those who want to make women more uncomfortable with coming to this site.
    People can agree, in principle, with Sarkeesian's position, yet have legitimate concerns and criticism of her approach and execution. That doesn't mean they want to 'make women uncomfortable' or are happy with the current status quo in gaming and society. Criticism of a woman != Criticism of women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Never said nor implied that the two things are the same, man.

You said that people here are speaking "on behalf of those who want to make women more uncomfortable with coming to this site" by wanting to discuss the latest Sarkeesian video, or RPS's article on it. That those people are speaking "on behalf of everyone who wants to silence everyone who even so much raises the matter of how awful a place for women games can be".

Edit: As far as I see, Jesus_Phish hasn't said anything poisonous, toxic, anti-women etc. They've merely criticised the closing down of comments and discussion. But you've said they're speaking on behalf of all these terrible things and peoples.
    Last edited by Unaco; 26-11-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

A person here. I do wish you'd stop doing this.

Stop doing what? I wish you'd stop labelling people as anti-women because they say we should perhaps discuss it here, and not just silence it all and push the discussion to other sites.

I'm not labeling everyone, Unaco. I'm labeling the one person who comes in here crying censorship and speaking on behalf of those people. whilst claiming to speak for the readership of RPS.

Edit: I see you've edited your post. Look at the time stamps of JP and myself posting and you'll see they've both gone up at the same time more or less. This is NOTHING to do with his post otherwise I'd be discussing the things in his post not someone else's.
    Last edited by RobF; 26-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperfez View Post
    Has it ever been constructive to engage with trolls? I mean, "Don't feed the trolls" is basic internet survival knowledge. And if you find yourself targeted by John's preemptive answers, then you're a troll.
    Oh just fuck off, says john to people with facts that go against his "statistics"

Quote Originally Posted by john
    @botherer If you don't want people to point out factual inaccuracies in your articles do your research next time..

@bit_crusherrr I'll tell you what. Why don't you fuck off as far as it's possible for any human to fuck off? Hmmm.
    A cache
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hx-U-Q0hbK8J:www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php%3F10102-I-don-t-get-some-of-these-articles-lately/page2
    Last edited by tradaa; 26-11-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCapulet View Post
    And I'm obviously not trying to speak for every RPS reader. Common sense dude.
    Then don't write as if you do. I'm not psychic and thus will assume you mean what you write.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I thought the site was run using revenue generated via ads and donations/subscribers as opposed to out of pocket of Jim or any of the other members. If that's the case then "my gaff, my money, my rules" is a bit of an overstatement. Of course the finances are none of my or anyone else's business and the guys can set whatever rules they want, just stating an opinion here.
    Or phrased differently the site is run using the work of the writers which draws and audience generating ad revenue and subscriptions. This site has always been set apart by the writers writing about things they care about and it really is their house, not a pet project of the readers. I don't always agree with John or or the way he presents his arguments but if he wants to post a video but not have to deal with a comments thread which (given previous experience) will be a cesspit of people shouting at each other I can't blame him, especially seeing as there already are places on this very site where you can discuss these things.

Network Hub
    Skalpadda not two fucks were given until recently.... when was the first female writer, when did the site launch and when did these articles start? Xd

Obscure Node
    It's just bizarre that dudes feel they have some right of response whenever gender issues are mentioned. If you feel like the tenor of RPS's gender pieces is hostile to you personally, you're either a wretched person or massively misreading them. Either way, the best course of action is to just have a quiet think about things, not demand to "set the record straight" or whatever.

E:
    when was the first female writer, when did the site launch and when did these articles start? Xd
    Who cares? Or is success on a trivia challenge required to post here?
    Last edited by pepperfez; 26-11-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Network Hub
    It's interesting, maybe you should get down and do some research