Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 934
  1. #481
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by tradaa View Post
    Skalpadda not two fucks were given until recently.... when was the first female writer, when did the site launch and when did these articles start? Xd
    I've read the site since 2008, it started in 2007. I don't know who the first female writer was but the earliest I can remember is Leigh Alexander in 2008. For the entire time I've read the site they've regularly given a kicking to the gender stereotyping in the games industry. The topic has picked up momentum in the wider games press and industry lately, so there's no reason to be surprised to see more articles dedicated to it on a site that covers said games industry.

    What is your point, exactly?

  2. #482
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    860
    It's a conspiracy, obv.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  3. #483
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperfez View Post
    Has it ever been constructive to engage with trolls? I mean, "Don't feed the trolls" is basic internet survival knowledge. And if you find yourself targeted by John's preemptive answers, then you're a troll.
    Well I guess we have to differentiate between trolls (who in this case, will be nice decent people who believe in basic gender equality, but like to cause trouble on the internet by pretending they don't) and 'bigots' (who genuinely don't believe in gender equality, or genuinely don't think there's an issue). I think RPS attracts a good mix of both, and they're often indistinguishable. Point being, isn't the entire point of these articles to try and explain to the second group why they're wrong and try and make them change their minds? Especially when, y'know, lots of that group are making games?

    But then other times RPS just tells those people to fuck off.

    Obviously I'd never question RPS' right to do whatever they want on their own site, but sometimes it seems like that amounts to randomly shouting in bins, which is fine, especially as it's generally well written and entertaining shouting in bins, but it needs more focus if it's actually going to make any kind of difference to the industry.

  4. #484
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,030
    You can't change a bigot's mind. But you can make him know how deplorable his views are, and that we don't want that kind of people around us.

  5. #485
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    124
    Well I lost my dates :( are amusing though almost looks like someone pointed out that they were doing nothing and maybe they should start.

    Tikey that is bigoted

  6. #486
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Unaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperfez View Post
    It's just bizarre that dudes feel they have some right of response whenever gender issues are mentioned.
    Why would they not? Do you find it bizarre that dudes feel they have a right to write articles about gender issues? Like Nathan and John do? What about 'dudes' that support and agree with Sarkeesian's position?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

  7. #487
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    860
    Yeah, exactly Tikey. It's not about changing minds, that takes more than a blog post on the internet.

    It's about helping bring change, which might seem pedantic but it's a massive and important difference. If on the way it changes a few minds, cool! That'd be really nice but it's not the aim.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  8. #488
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Why would they not? Do you find it bizarre that dudes feel they have a right to write articles about gender issues? Like Nathan and John do? What about 'dudes' that support and agree with Sarkeesian's position?
    No, I mean specifically needing to respond to this article right here right now for any given article. Nobody's being told not to write about gender issues, just that they can't do it under that particular article on the RPS front page. We're talking about it right here! On RPS even! It's barely removed from the original article, yet we're having complaints of censorship and exclusion. That's just delusional.

  9. #489
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    I find this all a bit confusing; if RPS wishes to write and share pieces regarding gender inequality in gaming, then why do they selectively limit the possibilities of discussing it? If there was a legitimate concern that comments would be of too poor quality to be worth allowing, then wouldn't you simply discourage such attitudes by deleting said comments? And if so many of your readers really are misogynists, then why allow the discussion to continue on the forum?

    I suppose I just have a problem with censorship in general. Not in a way that I believe the creators of the site are encroaching on my rights - but I find it an odd and poor choice for a website that provides some of the most insightful and critical thoughts on video gaming. And the formatting and warning of the author of that particular article seemed strikingly vindictive in a way, like he was scorning his readers. It seems outright childish and hostile.

  10. #490
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    860
    It's not confusing. It's not censorship. All the answers you need are here.

    It's a comments section that's off on the internet. It's allowed.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  11. #491
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    2,928
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It's not confusing. It's not censorship. All the answers you need are here.

    It's a comments section that's off on the internet. It's allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricker View Post
    I suppose I just have a problem with censorship in general. Not in a way that I believe the creators of the site are encroaching on my rights - but I find it an odd and poor choice for a website that provides some of the most insightful and critical thoughts on video gaming. And the formatting and warning of the author of that particular article seemed strikingly vindictive in a way, like he was scorning his readers. It seems outright childish and hostile.
    Emphasis mine. It's not legality were discussing here.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  12. #492
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    860
    I wasn't talking about legality.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

  13. #493
    Quote Originally Posted by tradaa View Post
    Considering you quoted me without a source here it is: https://twitter.com/bit_crusherrr/st...25089992478720

    This was over an inaccurate Borderlands 2 Season Pass article before anyone gets the pitchforks out.

  14. #494
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,182
    Again, and again, and again:

    Why in their right mind would RPS want to redelegate discussion on such matters to a forum that is better moderated and "filters out" the common garden trolls simply by having to sign up first?

    tradaa: calm down or time out.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 27-11-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  15. #495
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricker View Post
    I find this all a bit confusing; if RPS wishes to write and share pieces regarding gender inequality in gaming, then why do they selectively limit the possibilities of discussing it? If there was a legitimate concern that comments would be of too poor quality to be worth allowing, then wouldn't you simply discourage such attitudes by deleting said comments? And if so many of your readers really are misogynists, then why allow the discussion to continue on the forum?

    I suppose I just have a problem with censorship in general. Not in a way that I believe the creators of the site are encroaching on my rights - but I find it an odd and poor choice for a website that provides some of the most insightful and critical thoughts on video gaming. And the formatting and warning of the author of that particular article seemed strikingly vindictive in a way, like he was scorning his readers. It seems outright childish and hostile.
    They're professional games writers, not comment moderators. They do delete comments, but I can understand if the prospect of spending a couple of days overseeing a thread consisting mostly of people being awful to everyone and everything isn't something they'd relish. As for allowing discussion on the forum, 1: They're moderated and 2: the couple of extra clicks to find the right thread seems to have a discouraging effect on a lot of the shit-flinging MRA monkeys.

  16. #496
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Why in their right mind would RPS want to redelegate discussion on such matters to a forum that is better moderated and "filters out" the common garden trolls simply by having to sign up first?
    Don't you have to sign up for posting in the comments section as well? Just saying...
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  17. #497
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    2,928
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Don't you have to sign up for posting in the comments section as well? Just saying...
    You need an extra click to get to the forum, and two more to post in a thread. Not to mention browsing the existing threads.
    That has to eliminate about 50% of the comment population.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  18. #498
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Don't you have to sign up for posting in the comments section as well? Just saying...
    You can use any wordpress account you have, then link it to the RPS one, I believe.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  19. #499
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus c-Row's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anus Mundi, Germany
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    You need an extra click to get to the forum, and two more to post in a thread. Not to mention browsing the existing threads.
    That has to eliminate about 50% of the comment population.
    Right now I have to click reply, login, get thrown back at the homepage, find the post again, click reply, enter reply, hit enter - not really too convenient either and happening on various machines and browsers as well. Or is that just me?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    You can use any wordpress account you have, then link it to the RPS one, I believe.
    I haven't tried mine yet, but I remember it being a pain to eventually get the same password for the forum and the main page to battle at least some of the nonsense I wrote above. It seems like browsers saving passwords doesn't quite work if they can't differentiate between the forum part and the homepage.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

  20. #500
    Lesser Hivemind Node RobF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    860
    You're assuming that the majority of people actually want to discuss this. They don't. That's why it doesn't matter.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •