Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by seshFriend View Post
    You're misinformed. Games journalism is what game critics do.
    No, they offer opinions. And it should be obvious that opinions are not universal truths. "I liked this" is an opinion. "This happened" is news.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I get the feeling that Phil Fish's comments on TB are in jest.
    I get the feeling Phil Fish is just one big joke.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I think Grayson's credibility as a games "journalist" or whatever you want to call it was already in tatters much before all this nonsense about biscuits, and people having sex and all. RPS published some pretty awful interviews. But that's just me.
    It seems to me that nothing Grayson ever did or said around the time of this incident was affected by any relationship he had with Quinn. So far as I know, he didn't write anything about Quinn's game so nothing really matters there. But I'm even less impressed with all his moralising high-horse ranting that showed up on RPS.

My thoughts are that this is largely a storm in a teacup when it comes to journalistic integrity, because quite frankly the term has been a joke in gaming since forever. Good luck trying to inject some integrity into game journalism or criticism, you're wasting your time. Again there's no evidence Grayson's journalistic integrity was affected by his relationship with Quinn. It makes all of his holier-than-thou articles ridiculous, but they were crap to begin with in my eyes. Then again he might have been equally ignorant of Quinn's antics for all I know (or care, for that matter).

All that said, Quinn seems like a massive hypocrite and a pretty manipulative person, which is all the more hilarious when she's quoted acting as some sort of paragon of social justice. Honestly the RPS forums have indulged in our fair share of crucifying people for what goes on in their private, personal lives (particularly if they're linked to anything resembling misogyny) so as far as I'm concerned nobody should be throwing stones unless they're happy to break a few of their windows in the process (and yeah, that includes me). The reason Quinn's story is getting a lot of attention is because she picked some very prolific people to cheat on her insecure and spiteful boyfriend with. And because fucking games, like we don't have enough drama.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

ok, Im putting my foot down here and stating that this topic has outgrown the ontopicness of this thread. Go bother someone else, or if anyone still thinks this is worth a discussion, go start a thread.

OH NO WAIT, NEW GUYS, YOU ARE NEW. AHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA

^me pointing out that if it were a real topic on these forums, someone that actually belonged to the forums and didnt just sign up to complain would have made one.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 21-08-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    ^me pointing out that if it were a real topic on these forums, someone that actually belonged to the forums and didnt just sign up to complain would have made one.
    'oi, you could just have said that straight away instead of first laughing away and then pointing it out in white letters. It's an entirily reasonable position, and one befitting a moderator.
    The above post was actually about ethics in games' journalism.

Join FolkARPS, the finest combination of tractors and Arma 3 manshooting you'll find anywhere.
    Join our racing games subforum! Because there is only one thing better then a car wot go fast... And that's moar cars wot go fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    'oi, you could just have said that straight away instead of first laughing away and then pointing it out in white letters. It's an entirily reasonable position, and one befitting a moderator.
    that doesnt mean I cant make a funny.

SIGH, ok, Ill make it black.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Thank you :).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    NEVER add a dot after a smiley, it make it looks like a 50's hollywood star smiley with a wart below their sexy lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    NEVER add a dot after a smiley, it make it looks like a 50's hollywood star smiley with a wart below their sexy lips.
    That's the bits of salmon I forgot to clean of my face, sorry :(
    The above post was actually about ethics in games' journalism.

Join FolkARPS, the finest combination of tractors and Arma 3 manshooting you'll find anywhere.
    Join our racing games subforum! Because there is only one thing better then a car wot go fast... And that's moar cars wot go fast.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Fucking hell that explains weird cryptic comments I saw. (Sorry Quanta) But holy shit people are morons, people have a right to privacy and break ups are messy. End of story and I can't believe that people went mad over this, it's just disgusting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    [...] and one befitting a moderator.
    Dare to dream.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I considered it at one point, but I don't think I have the ability to remain civil about this crap or the people who spew it (see?), so I thought I'd better not.

Quote Originally Posted by thedosbox View Post
    No, they offer opinions. And it should be obvious that opinions are not universal truths. "I liked this" is an opinion. "This happened" is news.
    At least some of the new people appear capable of some kind of sense, mind. EDIT: No, wait, he/she's been here for years, doh.

There really should just be a thread about this... I'm not starting it though.

In actual RPS feedback: I'd like to see some more press on Voxel Quest, supposedly alpha comes out in September. I'm hoping RPS will get their hands on it.

Obscure Node
    So I sort've heard about this whole debacle third-hand, a few days ago on the Reddit /r/OutOfTheLoop where there was much puzzlement over why so many comments were being deleted over in /r/Games, which appeared to be on total lockdown.

Anyway, someone posted a brief breakdown over what had happened, being careful to keep names well and truly out of the picture (you know what Reddit's rules on witch hunting are like). So I assumed it was a journalist over on Kotaku or something who was involved.

Fast forward to today and I realise RPS has been deathly quiet on the whole subject, I pop in here and who is embroiled? Why Mr. Grayson, Social-Justice-Warrior himself. Literally in bed with developers. Hilarious.

But witch-hunting is bad. And the lengths people go to to make others feel bad is horrific. So stop that. Just have a quiet chuckle over their lack of integrity and move on. Thanks.
    Last edited by kael13; 21-08-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kael13 View Post
    stuff
    dont care, dont post it in here anymore.

ok, Im putting my foot down here and stating that this topic has outgrown the ontopicness of this thread. Go bother someone else, or if anyone still thinks this is worth a discussion, go start a thread.

OH NO WAIT, NEW GUYS, YOU ARE NEW. AHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHA

- Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Are you sure you didn't? Because that very article re-stated the policy I just referenced.
    Weakness is no excuse.

Also much mirth at this whole saga. Too funny.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 21-08-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well slightly relevant, when the Links about this popped up on the frontpage - I didn't see any of them. Turns out, those buggers were already on the blocklist for spouting dismissive crap at other occasions. Fits well with the appearance of single to double digit postcount drama drummers.

Really hurts the whole angle of "This is really just about journalistic standards guys, serious!", when it's people that have revelled in hatespeech before (frontpage) or only came to post about this.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    At least some of the new people appear capable of some kind of sense, mind. EDIT: No, wait, he/she's been here for years, doh.
    And don't you forget it. Bloody whippersnappers.

Anyhow, back on topic. I want to say that the addition of Alice as news editor has been great. Her sense of humour has really fit in well with the rest of the site.

someone did, it was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinaldirection View Post
    someone did, it was deleted.
    posting misogynic drivel gets you deleted, yes. However, intelligent discussions dont.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thank you :).
    You are taking the quanta out of QuantaCat you horrible monster!

I was also thinking the same btw quanta, seems like it mostly troll-accounts that have no where to go, and I was wondering why this spiral'd this far in 4 pages!
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?