Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    No game?!? I got TWO cubes, lied and told someone my name was Nosferatu, and made a person walk off the edge of the world.

Obscure Node
    Edited....

Yes, provided it had a compelling narrative and good aesthetic design.

Obscure Node
    Don't release games for free man :S
    pirate them yes but don't release them for free.

Your demo reminds me of Legie. It has a similar point-and-click in a 3D environment interface and it is some sort of Adventure/RPG mix. It is also sold for 3.35 euros, but it seems like a full game.

I bought it when it came out first because i liked the demo and the idea (and cost me about 10 euros - apparently they lowered the price since then). Unfortunately i lost the downloaded file and the mail address i used to order it so i can't redownload it :-P.

Still it reminds me of something very important: whatever you do, make sure you promote the game. Legie is a better game than many other indie games you'll hear about in several sites, yet the developers have done a terrible job on making their game known. Personally i've only heard about it from other people liking it, not from the developers.

If you make a game never expect people to come to you. They won't. They won't even know that your game or you exist.
    ~bs~

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Sector View Post
    Your demo reminds me of Legie. It has a similar point-and-click in a 3D environment interface and it is some sort of Adventure/RPG mix. It is also sold for 3.35 euros, but it seems like a full game.

I bought it when it came out first because i liked the demo and the idea (and cost me about 10 euros - apparently they lowered the price since then). Unfortunately i lost the downloaded file and the mail address i used to order it so i can't redownload it :-P.

Still it reminds me of something very important: whatever you do, make sure you promote the game. Legie is a better game than many other indie games you'll hear about in several sites, yet the developers have done a terrible job on making their game known. Personally i've only heard about it from other people liking it, not from the developers.

If you make a game never expect people to come to you. They won't. They won't even know that your game or you exist.
    Good advice. I will have enough money to advertise it to an extent. Also, I might be paying someone to clean up some of the functions, and Unity supports iPhone/iPad, so it could be released for those too.

Obscure Node
    Just had a little fiddle and was impressed.

However, the FP-exploration/puzzler is impossible to judge on its engine. It's closer to a cinematic experience then most games and therefore relies heavily on story, appearance and style. I'd be far more interested in reading what story or puzzles you have planned and seeing how the forum can feedback on them.

Activated Node
    I like episodic games, but only if each instalment is cheap. I'm happy with first person point and clickers, provided the story's good enough.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    I'm interested. Does anyone remember a first person point and click, I think from the late '90's / early 2000's, set in a dystopian future? I think I only played a demo of it, started off in your characters flat which you couldn't escape from, except through the window? Vague memories of this....

Obscure Node
    I eventually started making this: http://bitrim.org

It's called Bitrim. It won't be point-and-click anymore, but you can play that version on the site right now.

All the textures/areas/npc designs are temporary. Here's a vid:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Well, at least it looks like it could be a game one day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    If you waste your time dropping vague hints in a forum this game will never get made.
    I think you seriously underestimate his typing speed.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Well it does look interesting, that's kinda like I imagine The Witness to be. There are very few full 3D adventures games, I really loved realMyst but didn't find many more. One thing I liked about Amnesia is the physics engine. I like the way you manipulate objets, kinda drag them around while holding your mouse button. Items feels they have some weight to them and makes puzzles much more immersive. Skyrim also got it right, when you hold items they interact with the enviroment, except its almost impossible to manipulate them correctly and get them where you want. It would be cool if you could implement some of that stuff, you can also put some physics based puzzles. I just don't like clicking something and having that object disappear.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sopabuena View Post
    Well it does look interesting, that's kinda like I imagine The Witness to be. There are very few full 3D adventures games, I really loved realMyst but didn't find many more. One thing I liked about Amnesia is the physics engine. I like the way you manipulate objets, kinda drag them around while holding your mouse button. Items feels they have some weight to them and makes puzzles much more immersive. Skyrim also got it right, when you hold items they interact with the enviroment, except its almost impossible to manipulate them correctly and get them where you want. It would be cool if you could implement some of that stuff, you can also put some physics based puzzles. I just don't like clicking something and having that object disappear.
    Weirdly, that's what I've been working on in the last few days. You can pick up an item with LMB, then rotate it with RMB + mouse movement. The problem is the controls. Rotating with RMB only allows rotation around 2 axis, and you have to use scroll wheel to rotate the other axis.

I worked on two versions. One is like Portal/Skyrim where you hold the object by it's center point. The other creates an invisible object, then joins it to the clicked object at the point you clicked, so you can lift things at that point. I'm not sure which version to use.

There will be some Rube Goldberg physics puzzles too.

The game itself will be a mixture of Portal/Amnesia/1st-person-adventures. Plus things like chatting to NPC's that are usually only in 3rd-person adventures, and maybe combat. I'm hoping for large interactive set-piece moments too, not just static environments. The Witness looks good, but I want to get away from the strange/empty environments seen in Myst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Of all the forums in all the world you have to walk into this one....

Albeit I would guess your engagement icons are place holders if you are going to a cube world, then use square pixels for the icons as well, avoid smooth curves as they'll seem at odds with the overall aesthetic. I like the light quality in the engine though.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Looks interesting. The story would have to be good to get me to buy it though - those kinds of games are generally dull.

Quote Originally Posted by DzX View Post
    Looks interesting. The story would have to be good to get me to buy it though - those kinds of games are generally dull.
    I agree, adventure games are about story so you need to get that part right. I'd say those are the easiest ones to program, but the harder ones to get right. The Longest Journey comes to my mind right now.
    "So dark le con of man"

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DzX View Post
    It won't be a majorly serious story, but it will have some serious parts, like investigating the psyche of a madman. It's hard to make the story serious and rigid when there will be a ton of locations like the moon, sky cities, an oil rig where a giant octopus attacks, and the center of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia_fan View Post
    I agree, adventure games are about story so you need to get that part right. I'd say those are the easiest ones to program, but the harder ones to get right. The Longest Journey comes to my mind right now.
    The Longest Journey being an example of a bad or good one?

I could be interested, if it didn't look like some minecraft knock off.