Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar

BB Living Rulebook

Recently I found out about the 3 Die Block podcast, and while I was trawling their archives for my playlist I came across a recent episode in which they were discussing Living Ruleboook 9 (!), including a new team in version 9.

First I've heard of it! Sadly I can't find mention of it anywhere else online. Officially accepted rules or not, I would love to take a peek at a LRB9. Does anyone know where it can be found?

(By the way the new team they were talking about was the Apes of Wrath, and they sound awesome bonkers.)

EDIT: Couldn't find mention of it on TFF either. Starting to wonder if this is a regional variant.
    Last edited by Screwie; 23-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I call it:

Trolling

Mon, 9 April 2012
    Three Die Block (04.2015) - Apes, Taunt, & Drag

Near enough to april first for me to suspect it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Hmm, you might be right. I'll see if they own up to it by the end of the episode.

Bah on listening to things not in the month they were produced! :(

I doubt that the 3DB guys were plain trolling, they are much too nice to do something like that. If you are unable to find any reference to the LRB9, maybe just send an email to Chance & Polly. I would be surprised if you got no response. The Apes in fact exist, they started out as a couple of new models some BB fans created, they even got the project funded by a Kickstarter project (don't have the link at hand).
    Forum janitor in training.

Interesting! I found the Kickstarter project too (link).

Okay having listened to more of the episode, it's clear that this is them theorycrafting how they would like to see their Ape concept team play (along with a couple of new skills), wrapped up in the vague guise that this podcast was recorded sometime in the not too distant future after the Apes had been accepted into the official rules. Because April Fools! But it's not full on trolling, more gentle ribbing and flexing their creativity... although they do poke a bit of fun at "changes" to other teams and some of the "new teams in LRB9 (of which there are 40).

They go as in-depth with their Ape team analysis as they do their usual analyses, so it's quite earnest and engaging.

So yeah, a case of me not listening closely enough. :P

Now, on to the team (in case you're curious)...

The Apes team has some very interesting ideas, although the pricing is a bit generous despite the fact every player has limited skills choice (even on a double) and a (bizarre, swingy and hilarious) negative trait, and some have Wild Animal on top of that too.

Apes of Wrath
    • 0-16 Gibbons - 6 3 4 7 - Leap, Pass Block, Side Step, Treehouse - Normal: A (Double: G) - 60k
    • 0-2 Orangutans - 3 3 3 9 - Accurate, Fend, Strong Arm, Treehouse - GP (A) - 70k
    • 0-2 Chimps - 6 3 3 8 - Dauntless, Sure Feet, Treehouse, Wrestle - GA (S) - 80k
    • 0-4 Gorillas - 5 4 3 9 - Grab, Guard, Treehouse, Wild Animal - S (GA) - 100k
    • 0-1 Silverback - 5 5 2 9 - Mighty Blow, Stand Firm, Treehouse, Wild Animal - S (GA) - 140k
    • TRRs - 60k
    • Treehouse (Ex): When this player ends his turn next to a Treeman, or a Treeman ends his turn next to this player, put this player in the reserves box (because apes love climbing up trees and having a nap up there).

So... just a bit bonkers, on reflection :)

I love the idea of linemen who come along with several speciality skills but paper armour and no defensive skills. Also loving the incredibly slow but strong thrower.
    Last edited by Screwie; 23-05-2012 at 08:23 PM.

If I remember correct they're actually talkig about the stats and skills agreed with NAF.

Keep in mind that NAF are basically now pretty much tournament standard, they were the ones to introduce Chaos Pact, Underworld and Slann. Basically they're now kind of more powerful than GW when it comes to getting teams made because only official GW tournaments are not NAF affiliated, all unofficial tournaments are NAF affliliated. Apparently Chaos Pact and Underworld are going to become official in the new LBR apparently, hence they have more pull.

For those not in the know, Treehouse basically works like this.

If any member of the Apes of Wrath team is stood next to a Treeman, they roll a die, if it comes up 4-6, they shoot up the tree and don't come down for the reminder of the match and are removed from the field of play.

Edit: Ah looking above I thought it was a 50/50 Die roll and not automatic.

So yeah if you're unlucky, 1 Treeman can basically take out 3-4 players right from the get go.

Also glad I wasn't the only one to go "living Rulebook 9...wha...when did that come out?"
    Last edited by Dr_Mechano; 24-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    My Arsenal of Democracy AAR: The British Empire
    Seeking alpha testers for a StoryNexus cyberpunk RPG.

Obscure Node
    Thanks Cyberpunk! Yes, it must be done!! 736 / 900 and climbing! Come and help get these lil fellas made :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nty-dodge-dice

Obscure Node
    Stunty Dodge Dice Update!

Check out our FREE Stunty Dodge Dice game at www.stuntydice.tk

Play, share and enjoy! Oh, and if you want more Stunty, visit our Kickstarter page