Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Activated Node
    Played some of the action mode and the classic mode tonight and I was pleased with both. Action is still slower than other shooters but is still Red Orchestra. Classic, I feel, is the same as realistic but sans zooming-in and that all unlocks are unlocked (methinks). That new map thingy was very enjoyable. The big open spaces leave a good amount of room for maneuvering around objectives and good play for machine guns and rifles. The trenches give a nice WWI touch and are a bunch of fun if you have a submachine gun.

What I didn't like was all the jack offs coming in to play the game and saying 'witty' remarks like "Oh so it's playable now, but not as good as RO1" and etc.

My problem with these people is 1. Go whack off somewhere else. If you don't like it go play something else.
    2. When I ask these people what's wrong they don't give me definite answers, only "It's not realistic enough" or something along the lines of "Still could do X better"

And people are still arguing over whether RO2 has been fixed or not, if it has finally lived up to its potential, and if it is good. I think the people who constantly think of RO1 as better or RO2 not being everything they yearn for are suffering from a hefty case of nostalgia-sickness. That or there's something else wrong with the community, because I see that the RO2 community is still very bitter about all this.

Your thoughts on the update?

Network Hub
    Iron Front will not be competition for Red Orchestra 2. Superficially they are the same but essentially what you will be buying is Arma 2 in the second world war. While with RO2 you get a solid realistic action game.

yea pretty much. a difference between realistic shooter and simulator.
    i have 70hrs put into ro2 and it was already in pretty decent shape before this patch imo, but then again i never was ro purist or played ro1 for that matter. hopefully this update and free weekend will bring in more people cause playing in a server half filled with bots aint that fun
    Last edited by grasskit; 25-05-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
    The fact that it is polar opposite to RO2 (huge marketing, troubled launch) looks really promising.
    Well, I dont know if we can say for certain it hasn't had a troubled launch. I'm quite interested in it but the swedish review I read through google translate (http://www.fz.se/artiklar/recension/...iberation-1944) has said it is plagued by bugs and crashes. I hear a pre-release patch has come out so hopefully it wont be too bad. Going to wait to see the steam price before I buy.

As for RO2 I'm really excited to see classic mode and performance updates so will be giving that another visit after exams.

I don't know about Iron Front, but from the small amount of post-patch RO I've played it seems they've finally fixed a lot of the performance issues, I can actually get a solid 60 fps now! Only played Action mode so far which while being fun isn't really what RO is all about, much more excited to play some Classic. Really hoping some of the netcode issues have been fixed and hit detection, etc, that will make or break it I think.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Had a blast playing RO2 today. The influx of new people can be a bit frustrating at times but good commanders and squad leaders could turn the tide easily.

There are a lot of small, convenient changes that I missed in the earlier versions (i haven't played in ages though) - different keys for use/bandaging/etc., show # of bots... - and I'm looking forward to playing classic as well.

Network Hub
    Am I the only one who rarely found a fault with RO2? Liked I played it with graphics on mediumish and found the performance to be great!! The only thing I hated was the broken stats and the weapon imbalance other then that it is one of my favourite MP Shooters that just sorely lacked maps. Chasing tanks as a Engineer is a timely classic.

Seems RO2 has been patched up damn well. Played both the new action mode and the Classic mode and both seem to work how they should. The lag issues are not as bad as before; not leading people like I'm playing over a 56k modem. Performance is WAY better.
    New map is quite good. Not perfect, but reminds me of a more up-close and personal version of some of the original RO maps.

Does need more tanks though. Plus I think I got the silver sniper achievement for shooting someone with an MP40(?) so there are still some issues.

yea im right there with you, bought ro2 on launch and slight performance issues + broken stats were the only significant problems i encountered.
    by the way sidestrafe did a video for those of you think of jumping into to this (please do we need more players!):

Not too gone on the killcam in "realism" mode or the heavily populated HUD in this mode either. I'll stick to "classic" mode, but in reality this is the realism mode. How can a realism show names at a distance, and show where you were killed from? A pity because I liked the realistic pace and accurate FOV in earlier builds but without killcams. That said, I have only played on one realism server (TWB).

As for Iron Front, not enough info in about the multiplayer, but yeah sounds buggy and underpopulated.

wasnt realism mode that had killcams and whatnot was just something on custom servers? cause im pretty sure i had no killcams or player names on most of my realism mode playthroughs

Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    wasnt realism mode that had killcams and whatnot was just something on custom servers? cause im pretty sure i had no killcams or player names on most of my realism mode playthroughs
    From the time I played servers with Killcams lasted till early October then every server just switched them off as well as ditching sidearms unless it was an MG, Sniper or Commander.
    Despite what is being said I can imagine the more casual modes will be belittled by most players quite quick as more casual players in RO are not that vocal. Not got a major problem with this myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
    Not too gone on the killcam in "realism" mode or the heavily populated HUD in this mode either. I'll stick to "classic" mode, but in reality this is the realism mode. How can a realism show names at a distance, and show where you were killed from? A pity because I liked the realistic pace and accurate FOV in earlier builds but without killcams. That said, I have only played on one realism server (TWB).

As for Iron Front, not enough info in about the multiplayer, but yeah sounds buggy and underpopulated.
    All of that is a server side option. Sadly, ATM many servers are using the default values for these configurations, so you have name tags and instant global kill messages, which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    All of that is a server side option. Sadly, ATM many servers are using the default values for these configurations, so you have name tags and instant global kill messages, which is a shame.
    I see, thanks. It is just because of the free weekend demand then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Will jump back into RO2 next week. Like the updates.

GOTY edition? from where?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Will jump back into RO2 next week. Like the updates.

GOTY edition? from where?
    It was named multiplayer shooter of the year by PCGamer.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    I've kinda lost faith in tripwire, at least in their speed of fixing things. Tanks have been bugged incredibly since belief, so the only tank map is never played (maybe partly because t34s have 17 AP shells and 54 HE, opposed to 30 AP and 30 HE for pz4, even though HE is utterly useless in tank-only maps.).
    I read their forums for a while, and I still see their staff saying that tanks are totally fine. Even though an antitank-rifle slug goes through the mantlet (one of the thickest parts of the armor of a t34) frontally. Tanks feel random and unreliable. It took the community to mod servers into having client-side hit detection, finally conquering the unsatisfying gunplay. Before, tripwire claimed clientside hit detection would make things even worse, now they're touting it as a feature.
    I'm glad they turned around, but I really have my doubts about their view on the game.
    Its their CEO John Gibson aka Ramm-Jager. Over the years he's shown himself to be a complete egomaniac who takes the slightest criticism personally and is unwilling to admit any wrongdoing. He probably had to get drunk before he made that trailer.

I'm kind of apathetic about the changes in classic mode. I get taking the rader mini map away and putting the compass back. The shortened sprinting is kind of lame though, it feels like all the soldiers are a bunch of fat asses. Who would ever stop sprinting under fire? It should be more like ArmA and just have your gun sway more when you try to shoot, til you recover. Also the zoom function is gone...they should've made bigger maps. The zoom is pretty realistic but all these RO1 players like squinting to see helmets i guess. Don't get me wrong I loved RO1 but I think the zoom thing is fine, lots of sims have it.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    I'm kind of apathetic about the changes in classic mode. I get taking the rader mini map away and putting the compass back. The shortened sprinting is kind of lame though, it feels like all the soldiers are a bunch of fat asses. Who would ever stop sprinting under fire? It should be more like ArmA and just have your gun sway more when you try to shoot, til you recover. Also the zoom function is gone...they should've made bigger maps. The zoom is pretty realistic but all these RO1 players like squinting to see helmets i guess. Don't get me wrong I loved RO1 but I think the zoom thing is fine, lots of sims have it.
    People have tried to explain to the RO diehards how zoom is a realism feature but they don't want to hear it. They want a slow, meticulous and difficult-to-play game, not a realistic game.

Even crosshairs are a realism feature because you can't have depth perception with a monitor.

There's a reason ArmA does both of these things, and the sprinting too.

I tried RO2 during Steam's Free Weekend the game still seems buggy or maybe it's my internet since it seemed like a server connection problem
    Last edited by NoodleFighter; 26-05-2012 at 08:15 AM.