Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey released on GoG

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dream...ongest_journey

Couldnt find anything on this so I figured I might as well post about it. Dreamfall is out on GoG. And yes, it comes with the utterly superlative soundtrack and a whole bunch of artwork. I've already got the collectors edition from 6(!) years ago, but I'll be buying this as well just so that I can have an online copy.

If you've not played it, I urge you to give it a go - it is game storytelling at its best.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    I also urge you to 'play' this game. had so much fun with it.
    and it starts with a pretty rendered girl in a white underwear.

And I come in as a third recommendation.
    The gameplay may leave a bit to be desired but that didn't stop me and my otherwise non-gaming SO to utterly enjoy the gripping story.

I also have the Collector's Edition from some years ago and will it buy again on GOG to get it digitally and to signal my interest to Funcom and suggest that Mr. Tørnquist should stop collecting and collaging myths and work on the next part. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Nice voice acting, pretty good writing, god-awful gameplay complete with totally shit combat and classic adventure game "moon logic." Only recommended for people with a well built-up tolerance for typical adventure game annoyances, all others stay well away.

And you still finished the game... ?

When people criticize the gameplay I wonder what exactly they have in mind. There are like 3 combat scenes and 1 stealth scene, all pretty well done. Adventure puzzles are grounded in the real world, at least I don't remember any "create a wrench by electrocuting a monkey".

And anyway, the story makes up for all possible flaws, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    And you still finished the game... ?
    Good lord no. I made it about 5 hours in, realized that all I was doing was reading a line in the walkthrough, executing it, then reading another line in the walkthrough, and decided I'd go play a game instead. The best part is that 90% of play time is walking around, usually somewhere you've already been.

And anyway, the story makes up for all possible flaws, in my opinion.
    Then they should have written a novel or made a film, games are an interactive medium. When the interactive part of your game is shit, the game is shit.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it. I noticed the game is pretty divisive.

That said, if anyone values a good story, they should at least give it a try. Some will be disappointed like Vinraith, for others it may be one of the best games they've played. That's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it. I noticed the game is pretty divisive.

That said, if anyone values a good story, they should at least give it a try. Some will be disappointed like Vinraith, for others it may be one of the best games they've played. That's worth a shot.
    Yup, like I said, it's well written and well acted, which is exactly why it's so frustrating. If you have a high tolerance for following walkthroughs and mediocre combat/stealth in the face of good story, you'll probably enjoy it. If not, it'll drive you crazy. In fairness, I got that same warning and decided to try it anyway, lesson learned.
    Last edited by vinraith; 23-05-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Nice voice acting, pretty good writing, god-awful gameplay complete with totally shit combat and classic adventure game "moon logic.".
    It wasn't as "moon" as the first game. I don't remember googling a solution for a single puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    It wasn't as "moon" as the first game. I don't remember googling a solution for a single puzzle.
    The first was pretty awful about that, yeah. That thing with the toy monkey in the alley...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    you should not have follow the walkthrough then vinraith. the game does not need that as it is pretty straighforward.

You admit that it was well written and well acted. Why not enjoy the story then?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    you should not have follow the walkthrough then vinraith. the game does not need that as it is pretty straighforward.
    It's really, really not. I don't remember how many times I got stuck before I just started playing with a walkthrough open in another window, but suffice it to say I detest walkthroughs and would not have reached that point if it were avoidable. That I played it as long as I did despite that is a testament to the strength of the story and characters. Nevertheless, an unpleasant chore is an unpleasant chore, no matter how you pretty it up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    TLJ/DF both have moon logic (coincidentally, I 'formed' 'Rock, Paper, Moon Logic' for AG discussion), but DF is easily the simplest of the two. TLJ has some very, very horrible puzzles combined with a not-so-user-friendly interface, so it can be a pain. DF has average-to-bad puzzles with an awkward and illogical interface.

Yet I love both and don't regret playing them for a minute. DF is one of the few games to nearly bring me to tears at the end, too.

That and I have a major girl-crush on April.

P.S. If you want to moan about bad puzzles in adventure games, I will kindly tell you to STFU and come back when you've attempted Keepsake.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I played Dreamfall years back without knowing it was a sequel but still is one of my favorite games, although I never completed it because of an computer crash.

Played the first one not that long ago but the text and interface is kind of bad, wish there was a texture pack for it because I love point and click adventures.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

@Althea

Yeah, I think my tolerance for these things has just evaporated as I've been away from the genre. A decade ago the puzzles in the original TLJ were annoying, sure, but not a dealbreaker. I just can't put up with that anymore, my patience for it is gone. It's a shame, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Played the first one not that long ago but the text and interface is kind of bad, wish there was a texture pack for it because I love point and click adventures.
    Apparently you can change the fonts in TLJ. Of course I didn't figure this out until after I finished the game, so I never tried it firsthand.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_long...reamfall/fonts

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    @Althea

Yeah, I think my tolerance for these things has just evaporated as I've been away from the genre. A decade ago the puzzles in the original TLJ were annoying, sure, but not a dealbreaker. I just can't put up with that anymore, my patience for it is gone. It's a shame, really.
    I've found it better to occasionally take long breaks. Gray Matter took me almost a year (and 2/3 restarts) to do, for example.

Network Hub
    I'm so excited, I just can't sleep.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Apparently you can change the fonts in TLJ. Of course I didn't figure this out until after I finished the game, so I never tried it firsthand.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_long...reamfall/fonts
    Oh neat, I will try that out sometime.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Dreamfall has one very silly puzzle which requires you taking note of a tune that plays once and then having to replay it about 5mins later. Otherwise it has some dodgy stealth and iffy combat - neither of which are used much - and one of the most engaging stories in any game with excellent characters too. There was one scene in particular that I love just for how it worked* and the end is enough to make a person go all John Walker.
    Highly recommended; The Longest Journey does not need to be played to get the story either, although it would help.

* For those who are wondering [SPOILERS] - When Kian and April meet and your control switches from one to the other. I don't know why but that scene got me.