Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar

Subscriptions- a ripoff?

We all know you have to pay subscriptions in order to play MMO's but what exactly is the reason for that? Developers often use the excuse that it serves to cover the costs of server maintenance. But server maintanence is rather cheap. There are multiplayer games like BF3 and CoD that have official servers, but they don't require you to pay for playing multiplayer. If they can do it why can't MMO's?

New content, perhaps. Or they like money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I think the line you'll get about subscriptions when it comes to MMO's is that they're giving you new content and the like. Whether you're getting your moneys worth is a different matter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I'd say it is new content mainly - WoW apperently has shit tons of it. Also, I'd say that a WoW server is a little bit harder to maintain then a BF3 server, as BF3 doesn't have all that HUGE BIG STUFF that WoW has.

Activated Node
    In the case of WoW?

Yes.

How often do content updates appear? Every three months? Two months? How much have you spent on subscription in that time? Will you even see that content? The Guild Wars model, along with Arenanet's breakdown of their server overheads, shows that you don't even need a subscription fee for such expenses.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abacus Finch View Post
    The Guild Wars model, along with Arenanet's breakdown of their server overheads, shows that you don't even need a subscription fee for such expenses.
    That's a crap example. Guild Wars isn't an MMO. It's an online co-op RPG that's *heavily* instanced. WoW is not.

But the general explanations: Support, maintenance, 'investment' in upcoming fixes/content, upkeep, advertising, taxes, yadda yadda.

Activated Node
    GW2 then, a better example?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abacus Finch View Post
    In the case of WoW?

How often do content updates appear? Every three months? Two months?
    Much, much less frequent these days. If I remember correctly the last major content patch, 4.3, was released in November 2011.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Much, much less frequent these days. If I remember correctly the last major content patch, 4.3, was released in November 2011.
    Which has been typical for the past few years with Blizzard. It goes quiet about a year after the expansion released for a number of months and then the OMG EXPANSHUN stuff starts.

Network Hub
    You really can't compare the cost of running a few 32-64 player FPS servers with the costs involved in running and administering an MMO with millions of subscribers and continually added content. Whether or not you consider it a "rip-off" is really down to how much you value the game, obviously plenty of people do feel it's worth the money or they wouldn't be subscribing.

I'd like to see a pay-per-play model rather than paying for a whole month in advance without knowing how much time I am actually able to invest in the game. For the less than hardcore players, the current model could indeed be called a rip-off, though you usually know what you are getting yourself into beforehand.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Activated Node
    You don't need a whole lot of moderators and administrators for an online FPS as you need for an MMO. There's other reasons like infrastructure, higher maintenance costs, content, but I think everyone's gone into detail already for that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Which has been typical for the past few years with Blizzard. It goes quiet about a year after the expansion released for a number of months and then the OMG EXPANSHUN stuff starts.
    Right. If I remember correctly, The Burning Crusade had the last major content patch, the Sunwell, in the early spring of 2008, and then Wrath of the Lich King in October/November. Wrath of the Lich King had it's last content patch, the Icecrown Citadel, in December 2009 - and then Cataclysm wasn't released until December 2010 (There was admittedly a bit of a throwaway raid thrown in sometime in the spring of 2010). With Mists of Pandaria probably not out before September, it's not that unreasonable to talk of a bit of a pattern.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Support. And the fact that there's so much content in them it does go to paying back development costs. The box for WoW cost the same as Dragon Age, Dragon Age was a big game. WoW was bigger by orders of magnitude.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    We all know you have to pay subscriptions in order to play MMO's but what exactly is the reason for that?
    The same reason you have to pay for electricity, public transport and most other services. It's called capitalism I believe.
    Developers often use the excuse that it serves to cover the costs of server maintenance. But server maintanence is rather cheap.
    Small to medium data-centre will generally cost around $100,000 per month to run. You generally can't simply rent a bunch of servers from the likes of HostGator to run an MMO on. And that's going to scale with the size of the game; Facebook currently spends $50 million per year on it's data centres.
    There are multiplayer games like BF3 and CoD that have official servers, but they don't require you to pay for playing multiplayer. If they can do it why can't MMO's?
    Because a multiplayer game is a completely different beast from an MMO. No persistence for a start, and you don't actually lose money if you take the servers offline for any length of time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    There are multiplayer games like BF3 and CoD that have official servers, but they don't require you to pay for playing multiplayer. If they can do it why can't MMO's?
    Because MPFPSs aren't MMORPGs.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Because MPFPSs aren't MMORPGs.
    Would Planetside 2 also cost as much as CoD and BF3 ?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    Would Planetside 2 also cost as much as CoD and BF3 ?
    Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS. It's also going to have a cash store, so they'll be generating revenue from that.

I think Turbine is the best at this game right now, with monthly updates, plus being able to permanently buy content a la carte or subbing in a traditional manner for all-access, and being able to switch between the two at will. Not to mention being able to permanently earn content through in-game activity.

Obscure Node
    lol