Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    4,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Fede View Post
    @soldant

    Not sure wether the game shows like this in Japan or on his Steam, but I think it's the former.
    If this is true, then I agree with BenWah that there is no problem here in principle. If you by a game out of region and it isn't unlocked in Japan you run the risk of not being able to unlock it. This is something that probably should have been researched better before the OP went ahead with it. I'm not sure what Valve/Steam can do here... I guess if you pestered them you could get a compassionate refund, but then again I don't see why they should have to do that. As Kadayi said the Russian thing was entirely different; the guy was trading for money which is prohibited by the user agreement.

    However...
    This idea was further endorsed by Steam supports' assurance that "Purchases made directly through Steam are not restricted by territory."

    If they actually sent that, then they've sent out incorrect information. Either the support staff who wrote this had no idea what they were talking about, or they misunderstood the question. In any event it wasn't appropriate.

  2. #22
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,333
    Yeah this is just weird, he bought the game in the UK, then fired up Steam elsewhere and it didn't run. There's no reason for that to be happening, and I've not heard of anything like this happening before. Blocking purchases, sure, but a game that's already been bought?

  3. #23
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    No offense but don't expect much sympathy. I have none.
    So basically if you ever emigrate, you're fine with all your Steam games stopping working?

  4. #24
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    78
    KoA was getting hefty plugs on Steam in Japan before release but it always had the 'coming soon' tag on it. This was soon after I bought Skyrim and had to wait a month for the Japanese release before being able to play it so I went the bricks and mortar route without any issues.

    KoA is off Japanese Steam altogether now.

    Sounds like the OP got screwed.

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    There is no problem here.

    The OP purchased a regionally restricted game which works as advertised in the region he purchased it in.

    This is often done knowingly to bypass regional license restrictions or to get super cheap versions passed from buddies/traders in Russia, etc..

    Hey steam doesn't have a license to sell this game in Japan, so I'll snag a copy in the UK!
    Oh wait it doesn't work in Japan, what a shock. Durrrrr.

    If you buy a game outside the region you are going to play it in, the risk is all yours and steam owes you nothing.

    No offense but don't expect much sympathy. I have none.
    really? are you really defending valve here? defending their right to refuse your right to play games you bought?

    10 years ago it would not be of course an issue but companies took away our rights and you are okay with that? you are taking side of multibillion dollar company which does not care about you or anything else except to sell products over a fellow gamer who was cheated and wasted money on a game which he cannot play?

    sure. it does not concern you. you live in your region and won't move to russia or japan or thailand or any restricted region so it is OK. So no sympathy for you.


    that ain't right. if i bought a game in UK i want to use it anywhere on the planet. what valve is doing is wrong and defending them is agreeing to be screwed over by any billion dollars companies.

  6. #26
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    282
    Hey Lukasz, are you just playing stupid or are you really that dumb?

    Do you really not know that distribution companies sign regionally restricted contracts, and are bound by them?
    There is a very long list of regionally restricted games. One distributor might be able to sell in countries another one cannot.

    What kind of RIGHTS are you talking about?
    Don't make up RIGHTS that don't exist, we are not idiots.

    How can you have a RIGHT to a game that a company cannot legally sell in your country?

    Give us a break, you are not fooling anyone
    Last edited by BenWah; 25-05-2012 at 01:35 PM.

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Hey Lukasz, are you just playing stupid or are you really that dumb?

    Do you really not know that distribution companies sign regionally restricted contracts, and are bound by them?
    There is a very long list of regionally restricted games. One distributor might be able to sell in countries another one cannot.

    What kind of RIGHTS are you talking about?
    Don't make up RIGHTS that don't exist, we are not idiots.
    eh.
    your right to play the game anywhere on the planet. 10 years ago if he bought the game via the shop he would be able to play it. yet, now he can't. and you say it is okay.
    it is okay for them to also say that "oh yes. you will be able to play" and then prevent him playing and not saying anything about it? and it is not the first time either.
    so why are you defending Valve?

    Edit:
    also
    He is NOT buying the game from Japanese distributor. He bought it from UK. a contract was formed then. between UK publisher and OP. steam should not be able to refuse you playing the game just because you moved to a country where the game is not being sold.

  8. #28
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    151
    Opening with a personal attack, classy BenWah.

    So you're happy for a company to deny you access to a product you have bought, simply because they can?

    There is no reason why he should not be able to use something he has paid for, regardless of his current geographical location.

  9. #29
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Xune View Post
    So you're happy for a company to deny you access to a product you have bought, simply because they can?

    There is no reason why he should not be able to use something he has paid for, regardless of his current geographical location.
    Wow, that's intensely retarded.

    So you think Steam wakes up one day and says, hey! Let's randomly block japan! Wouldn't that be fun.

    You can't conceive of any legitimate reason to block games regionally...
    Like how about steam signing regional contracts with publishers?
    How about the fact that steam doesn't have the legal right to distribute the game in certain countries, is that not a good reason to you? How about the fact that they would be legally liable for large financial judgements against them if they willfully ignore their contracts as signed and distribute and sell the game willy nilly?

  10. #30
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,181
    I know that companies pay people to defend them on forums, but do you think companies also pay people to defend their competitors in such stupid and rude ways that everyone else becomes more inclined to take the side against said competitor?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  11. #31
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    151
    More personal attacks. Are you really so insecure in yourself that you need to denigrate others in an attempt to elevate your point others or do you simply lack to vocabulary to construct cogent argument?

  12. #32
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    5,036
    Some people are overreacting a tad.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    monochrom & verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

  13. #33
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    your right to play the game anywhere on the planet. 10 years ago if he bought the game via the shop he would be able to play it. yet, now he can't. and you say it is okay.
    There is no right that would force (or allow) steam to distribute games in countries it doesn't have a contractual right with a publisher to do so in.


    so why are you defending Valve?
    I'm defending common sense. Look at what you're asking valve to do.
    Violate their contract, accept large financial judgements against them when they are sued by publishers...
    It's idiocy!

    He is NOT buying the game from Japanese distributor. He bought it from UK. a contract was formed then. between UK publisher and OP.
    Yes there are huge numbers of people who attempt the same thing, bypassing regional restrictions, getting cheap games from Russia, trying to use steam to buy games in countries where its not legal for steam the game in, etc...

    (EDIT: It turns out he never purchased the game at all. A friend in the UK gifted it over steam to him across regions in Japan.)

    I thought this subject was dealt with before
    Last edited by BenWah; 25-05-2012 at 03:24 PM.

  14. #34
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by Xune View Post
    do you simply lack to vocabulary to construct cogent argument?
    I replied to your message above, see if you can come up with a cogent response.
    I repost it for you:

    So you think Steam wakes up one day and says, hey! Let's randomly block japan! Wouldn't that be fun.

    You can't conceive of any legitimate reason to block games regionally...
    Like how about steam signing regional contracts with publishers?
    How about the fact that steam doesn't have the legal right to distribute the game in certain countries, is that not a good reason to you? How about the fact that they would be legally liable for large financial judgements against them if they willfully ignore their contracts as signed and distribute and sell the game willy nilly?
    Last edited by BenWah; 25-05-2012 at 02:01 PM.

  15. #35
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,181
    Sure, if it turns out that there's a big problem for them in letting you have the game in Japan, they can say "actually, we've decided that you can't do what we said you can do," which is pretty annoying, but OK, as long as they immediately add "and here is your full refund" at the end. If they don't add that bit on the end then it ain't OK.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  16. #36
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    So basically if you ever emigrate, you're fine with all your Steam games stopping working?
    I travel between regions twice a year.
    I have a large steam library.
    Most games work fine in both regions, in the rare cases where they don't I understand the problem at hand.

    But I'm not one of the people trying to trade cheap games from Russia, or knowingly bypassing regional restrictions by buying outside where they can be legally bought.

    Yeah this is just weird, he bought the game in the UK, then fired up Steam elsewhere and it didn't run. There's no reason for that to be happening, and I've not heard of anything like this happening before. Blocking purchases, sure, but a game that's already been bought?
    It's not a rare situation at all, there's a huge number of people who have intentionally tried to bypass regional restrictions and had it end in frustration. Also lot of people with locked/banned accounts for trading huge amounts of cheap games from russia, etc.. It's not a small problem on steam. :)

  17. #37
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Wow, that's intensely retarded.

    So you think Steam wakes up one day and says, hey! Let's randomly block japan! Wouldn't that be fun.

    You can't conceive of any legitimate reason to block games regionally...
    Like how about steam signing regional contracts with publishers?
    How about the fact that steam doesn't have the legal right to distribute the game in certain countries, is that not a good reason to you? How about the fact that they would be legally liable for large financial judgements against them if they willfully ignore their contracts as signed and distribute and sell the game willy nilly?
    they are not distributing nor selling the game to op. that already happened in UK. the game was sold and distributed by valve in UK. so you are wrong.

    furthermore
    they should be clear about what they are doing.. First message he sent to Valve should result in them asking whether they should refund and remove the game from his account because for some reason he cannot play the game. not be silent about the game and about half a dozen of other games.
    this happened before
    for few years
    and valve does not fix the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Yes there are huge numbers of people who attempt the same thing, bypassing regional restrictions, getting cheap games from Russia, trying to use steam to buy games in countries where its not legal for steam the game in, etc...

    I thought this subject was dealt with before
    he bought the game in UK. he made the contract with steam and publisher. which they are breaking by not providing the game.

    so either valve should sort their legal problems or should refund the game. simple like that. not keep quite whenever that happens.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 25-05-2012 at 02:03 PM.

  18. #38
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Yes there are huge numbers of people who attempt the same thing, bypassing regional restrictions, getting cheap games from Russia, trying to use steam to buy games in countries where its not legal for steam the game in, etc...

    I thought this subject was dealt with before
    Did you actually read what the problem was? He wasn't bypassing region restrictions when he bought the game, and he was told by Steam's support that the game would work even when he moves to Japan (and then it didn't). He has every right to be upset, especially considering every party involved from Steam to 38Studios to EA (who are probably least at fault here) is just shuffling responsibility to each other.

  19. #39
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London Town
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    Wow, that's intensely retarded.

    So you think Steam wakes up one day and says, hey! Let's randomly block japan! Wouldn't that be fun.

    You can't conceive of any legitimate reason to block games regionally...
    Like how about steam signing regional contracts with publishers?
    How about the fact that steam doesn't have the legal right to distribute the game in certain countries, is that not a good reason to you? How about the fact that they would be legally liable for large financial judgements against them if they willfully ignore their contracts as signed and distribute and sell the game willy nilly?
    More personal attacks. Are you really so insecure in yourself that you need to denigrate others in an attempt to elevate your point or do you simply lack to vocabulary to construct cogent argument?

    To address your points:
    These regional contracts exist to facilitate sales in the regions in question, not to regulate the use of already purchased products brought into those regions.

    Steam is not distributing the game by allowing someone who has already purchased the game to use it abroad. Distribution is facilitating the sale of a game.

    They would only face legal and financial penalties if their contract stated that they could not allow games bought in region x to be used (not sold, mind you, seperate issue) in region y. In that instance I would raise my eye brows twice, once at the contract writer thinking they could get away with it and the second to Valve agreeing to it.

    Would you like to buy your clothes again when you go on holiday or live abroud? How about medicine, books, telephone or camera. I'm sure the distributors for those products are all different from the ones in your home country.

    Don't be so eager to give away your freedoms.

    ED: The first part appeared to have been posted when I switched from a quick reply to advanced. I'll leave it as is, I rather enjoyed the smug condesention in the reply from BenWah as he still fails to grasp the point on the second time round.
    Last edited by Xune; 25-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.

  20. #40
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by BenWah View Post
    I travel between regions twice a year.
    I have a large steam library.
    Most games work fine in both regions, in the rare cases where they don't I understand the problem at hand.
    What problem? Look, everything you are saying is entirely correct but irrelevant. He bought the game from the UK while he was in the UK. Paid for, transaction complete, game purchased. So any legal shenanigans about where Steam can and can't legally sell the game shouldn't matter. As you say when you move between regions, games keep working (I'd be interested to know the problem ones).

    The issue here seems to be Steam offered a pre-purchase, he bought it, moved before release date, and then couldn't activate. So he fell in an awkward gap. I'm guessing if he'd bought and activated the game here and then moved, he'd be fine. My suggestion is he just give his login details to a friend/relative in the UK, get them to activate it, then see if he can play it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •