Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FAQ - read this first!

It strikes me that we could probably do with a thread to collate all our excellent tips and pieces of advice, so that new players don't have to look all over the place for it.

If you have an unanswered question, or an unquestioned answer, or an improved answer to what I've scribbled down, post it / PM it / send it to me on Steam and I'll add it to the list.

What version do you use?

We're all using Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition or Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition (the two are cross-compatible). If you have the original or Dark Elves versions, they won't be able to play sorry.

The game gives you an option between turn-based/real-time, and blitz/classic mode. All we play is Turn-Based and Classic.

How can I learn how to play?

Lots of ways. Reading through the GW rulebook is recommended for the absolute basics. Working out the mechanics is probably best done in singleplayer mode, but while the AI is able to move players and throw punches, it can't think tactically. To pick that up you're going to have to brave multiplayer. While you could use the random matchmaking offered in the game, you may want to use the RPS Challenge League for friendly and helpful opposition. Post in that thread if you want to play and one of our willing drones will show you the ropes. Or, if they're not available, I will.

How can I take part?

There's several different league systems in play. For one-off games, the aforementioned RPS Challenge League is your best bet. You can swap teams in and out of there at will and play whoever and whenever you like. Fun!

If you want to get your league on, then the RPS Divisions of Death may appeal. These comprise of a massive multistack of four-team divisions. Seasons last about a month, one game every ten days, with promotions and relegations in between. You must join with a brand new team and further information can be found in the Spreadsheet FAQ

If you want something longer-form then there is the RPS Open to consider. Seasons are several months long, with large divisions of developed teams (we'd recommend you only start with a completely new team if you know what you're doing, and you can be anything up to 1750 providing the matches played to get there were competitive) Sign up early to avoid disappointment, but do make sure you'll be able to play for that length of time before you do.

Sounds pretty serious

Well it's only one game every 10 days if you sign up, that's not too bad. You know what makes these divisions worthwhile though, you know why we're still expanding? It's a really nice group. If you want to log in, play your game and log off, then that's cool. But if you want to banter or commemorate your players in verse, or build up your team backstory, or talk tactics, then that's cool too. We like reading about the divisions as much as we like playing in them, and we're (generally) excellent.

How can I sort my connection problems?

Hughtower found an excellent guide which can be seen on this comprehensive post, so go read that. Port forwarding is more or less essential to remove about eight layers of faff from trying to join a game, and I'd recommend you do it.

What is BB Manager?
    Potatoedoughnut's guide can be found just TWO POSTS UNDERNEATH THIS but in essence, it's a way to analyse and share match stats. Now go look at that post.

Any other useful links?

Samba Action Calculator is a glorious piece of kit that you can feed any action sequence into to see the chance of its success, with or without a reroll.

How to create a team roster for showing off, etc, guide by Everblue.
    Last edited by Jiiiiim; 17-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Oh and I know absolutely nothing about BB Manager and replays so if someone wants to explain that it would be gratefully received,

What is this BB Manager I hear so much about?

BB Manager is a program which will let you see and analyze all the die rolls in a match and also let you share replays with other players in your league.

How does it happen?

You can download and install it here: http://94.23.239.117/BloodBowlManage...ce/publish.htm

It looks sketchy, but it's not. Once you download it run and create a username/password.

To look at one of your matches log in and then click submit match. This will upload the most recent match you played. If you want to upload an older match the best way to do it is to go into BBLE and watch the replay in its entirety (+ will speed up the replay), then click submit mach in BBmanager.

When you submit a match you must select a league. You can create your own league for your personal replays or you can use the Divisions of Death league for DoD replays.

For DoD replays
    League: RPS Divisions of Death
    pw: chainsawed

Note: Always leave it as Day 1 for match day, this will sort the replays chronologically since we do not create a new league in BBmanager for each season.

I've uploaded a replay, now what?

To view all the sexy statistics go to the "Matches" tab and find your replay. Double-click it and you get all the info. Here are some examples of what you see (click for bigger):

You can look at all d6, 2d6, and block rolls including: individual actions (all dodges, etc), # of die results (ie number of 1s rolled), roll sequence, "chances" (somewhat objective how lucky or unlucky statistic), and more!

This is my favourite feature.

How can I look at other people's games?

In the "Matches" tab find the appropriate league in the league dropdowns at the top of the page. You can view statistics on the game as usual. You can also click the "Replay" button on the top bar (to the right of the "Submit Match" button) to download the replay. Load up BBLE and you can watch the replay (go to Single Player -> Load -> Replays, and it will be in the list).
    Last edited by potatoedoughnut; 26-05-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Updated my post on BBmanager. Feel free to correct any inaccuracies or add to it.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Someone should stick this thread to the top of the BB subforums. Great work, both of you.
    Forum janitor in training.

I would quite like this stickied at the top, who do I plead at?

I think Rossignol runs the forms. You could try an email or the forum feedback thread.

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Network Hub
    Agree. These will really help the new players like me to become familiar with the BB world. There is no need for me to search the net and get information about BB. The information you guys provided are genuinely helpful. KUDOS to both of you!

Activated Node
    How much are you guys enjoying blood bowl? I saw the game today because of this forum and was wondering if it was worth playing. I have a lot of games that I am currently playing and I really liked the way this game looked. Any one can link some more info about the game?

Activated Node
    Also: I have never played a game like this on pc thus the reason for me trying it out.

Activated Node
    One last thing, on a scale 1-10 do you think its worth the $40 to a college student?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    On a scale of 1-10 I'd say wait for a Steam sale; it's available for 5-10 fairly often. It's a great game that some of us have been playing for years, but it's not necessarily for everyone: Nuffle, the god of Blood Bowl, is a cruel and capricious master.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    If you are a fan of the tabletop game Blood Bowl is based on, I would say you are predisposed to enjoy this game a heck of a lot more. Unfortunately due to various bugs and the game's poor UI and AI, I am always have reservations about recommending it to anyone who isn't already an enthusiast. That is not to say you won't enjoy it, but you should be forewarned.

Regardless, wait for a sale. It's not worth buying the game at full price - especially now, when a new expansion is right around the corner and that will likely drop the price a bit.

Finally if/when you do pick it up, make sure you purchase either the Legendary Edition or the soon-to-appear Chaos Edition - other earlier versions are not compatible and should be avoided if you want to play multiplayer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    It's a game that could really do with a demo but since all the magic's in the multi-player I guess that wouldn't really work

We should update that both LE & CE are OK to play with (and note that Khorne are not DoD/Open approved).

Steam = potatoedoughnut

[RPS] Clone High

Also, the very helpful networking guide seems to have disappeared from the spreadsheet. Any chance someone got a backup of that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    Well it's only one game every 10 days if you sign up, that's not too bad. You know what makes these divisions worthwhile though, you know why we're still expanding? It's a really nice group. If you want to log in, play your game and log off, then that's cool. But if you want to banter or commemorate your players in verse, or build up your team backstory, or talk tactics, then that's cool too. We like reading about the divisions as much as we like playing in them, and we're (generally) excellent.
    Just want to jump in here and second this ; a really great group of people to play what can be at times a very frustrating - and similarly, rewarding - game.

Don't hesitate, if you'd like to play Blood Bowl as it was meant (minus getting minis and paint and trudging over to a mates house) the RPS Divisions of Death / RPS Open are as close as you can get.

Updated with a new link for the networking guide and a bit about chaos edition now that we have two possibles.

Network Hub
    So far, I am enjoying BB. Maybe because I am a football lover... :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    BBM now supports roster images. See thread here

http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index....roster-images/