Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gah. I just bought it. Hope it's not a RF:A scale disappointment. I'll post impressions once I get it running if no one else has done so by then. That's what I'm here for. Or rather, there. It's a hefty download though.
    Last edited by jnx; 01-06-2012 at 07:53 AM.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    A guy on another forum has been playing and he says it doesn't feel like a port so I'm hopeful.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hitscan weapons? The bullets have always travelled in MP. Seeing the bullet trails and dodging them in slow-mo was a key part of the gameplay. They can't have removed that!

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    i have also caved. downloading now (and for a while).

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    Hitscan weapons? The bullets have always travelled in MP. Seeing the bullet trails and dodging them in slow-mo was a key part of the gameplay. They can't have removed that!
    They haven't :)

76 % downloaded, if all goes well in less than two hours I'll be playing! That sure is a massive download, but I think I read somewhere that the textures are 4 times larger than the console ones :F

I think all weapons have ballistics in single player but I can't be sure about MP even though I've seen lots of console players stream it. I'm on disc 3 install rightnow, so I'll find out soon.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    76 % downloaded, if all goes well in less than two hours I'll be playing! That sure is a massive download, but I think I read somewhere that the textures are 4 times larger than the console ones :F
    I can believe that, I watched a playthrough of the early levels by someone on the Xbox, and I couldn't help but think it looked ugly as sin. But on the PC it actually looks alright. It's not the Witcher 2 by any standards, but it is quite nice looking.

In other news I can sympathise with those who have complained about the checkpoint system. I suspect the problem is that Rockstar made the game very much like Max Payne 1 and 2 when it comes to difficulty (i.e. your foes are semi-accurate and bullets really do hurt Max) but forgot that with those two, on PC at least, people had the ability to quicksave which made it difficult to clear a room, but not horribly frustrating.

That aside I quite like the game, it's a refreshing change of pace from the usual crop of shooty-man-games. In part because running into a room and jumping into a bullet time dive with a pair of pistols blazing away is incredibly fun.

Just posted a bit more in depth impressions on my site. If you're on the fence about buying you might want to read them.

For you new guys - http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/...s_payne_slowmo

We play multiplayer all self contained in this crew - Apply to join.

I played a few levels of singleplayer, and three hours of multi. Multi is pretty pants until you realise the first thing you should do until you unlock create a class, is to drop your 2 handed weapon and use your pistol/dual pistols.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

i'm pretty disappointed with this game so far. it's a decent enough shooter, but it's not got much to do with max payne.

What are you even talking about? Not got much to do with Max Payne? Just because it's not based in NYC and overtly a noir themed game? Have you played very far in the single player? Because you get to do a few chapters back in NYC. The gameplay is solid and I don't think I've seen such vicious gunplay in a game.

cover shooter + straight story = doesn't feel much like max payne.

i probably shouldn't have played max payne 2 for the past few days. this just doesn't really compare.

Why are you using cover?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Why are you using cover?
    Because you will quickly die on the harder difficulties without it.

I've played it on normal, hard and New York Minute and still not used cover. That's boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Why are you using cover?
    you mean why does the game keep forcing me into cover after cutscenes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Damn paperwork.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It does feel as if the game could have been any ex-cop from New York. Besides there being a mention or two of his family, no other previous characters have popped up (all dead by the end of MP2, I suppose,) nor has there been any mention of the Project Valhalla or the Inner Circle (only at chapter 7, so that might change.) But I don't think it would have worked as well without the recognised character.

Playing as an old, alcoholic Max as he goes through a midlife crisis is a pretty daring direction for the game and just wouldn't have had the same impact if it was a completely new character. They even do a pretty good job of carrying this through to the gameplay, with them really giving some weight to the feel of controlling Max. He is a much more clunky character to control, more sluggish when being made to dive through the air. I could see some complaining about this, but it works wonderfully in the context. Even the heavy use of stylised graphical flourishes work to create a visual representation of guy in a perpetual hangover, with seeing double and out of context flickering lights.

Definitely enjoying the single player so far. The gunplay is just right and it is one of the hardest shooters I have played in a very long time. Anyone that worries about the inclusion of a cover system need not let the concerns put them off as it is definitely done right. It is entirely optional and is just another tool to be used. Enemies do not seem to just stick behind cover either, so I am not sure how well playing it purely as a cover based shooter would work.

I could take or leave the multiplayer though. It seems fun enough (and no one uses cover on the PC,) but I seem to be incredibly bad at it for some reason. There is something about the mouse movement that doesn't bother me in the single player, but it is really detrimental in the faster paced multiplayer mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    It is entirely optional
    except it isn't. the game forces you into cover numerous times.