Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    The game starts you off in cover after a cutscene, but you can play through the entire game pretty much without using cover to help yourself.

Staying in cover isn't really helpful either. You're often even better off doing some action stunts.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Yeah or even just strafing out from a corner and then back in, then when they start rushing just dive out in slomo

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    cover is completely pointless. which is why the forced cover after cutscenes (and the forced weapon swap) is annoying as shit.

it's just bad design.

The weapon swap is annoying, but the putting you in cover thing is much better than getting shot at as soon as you get back control.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    The weapon swap is annoying, but the putting you in cover thing is much better than getting shot at as soon as you get back control.
    Like in that scene in the boat. That was a wtf moment. Weapon swap is indeed annoying but since it does it every time it's easy to get used to. Later on you start losing big guns. Every time Max climbs or does something with two hands in a cutscene you lose your weapon.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

He does? I thought you kept it, but it starts hanging by his side.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    sure, but i would rather not lose control in the first place.

:(

Network Hub
    The shooting definitely has a great feel, but I feel that the game could certainly stand to be a bit more generous with the bullet time like ye olde Max Payne that I remembered (from what I've been told, when you unlock "Old-School Mode" you'll be able to spend a lot more time in bullet time, so I'm going through hard to unlock it). It is however frustrating that in some encounters, it really comes down to bad luck that the one second you pop out you immediately get tagged for 3/4 of your health, and others you're just going to have to die over and over again before you get through it, not because you remember the enemy placement, but because that's when the game gives you the painkillers and ammo you need to get through it.

One encounter I found to be really, really bad was when you're on a time limit to get through about 3 groups of guys, at which point it goes to a cutscene whereupon an armoured machine gunner shows up and you have about half a second to get your ass to cover before you die right there.
    Last edited by Kevin; 04-06-2012 at 08:11 AM.