Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar

Heroes of Might and Magic VI DRM Changed?

I saw a comment on the Sunday Papers article where someone said that Ubisoft had changed the DRM on HoMM6 to require only a one-time activation, and the "entire game" was now playable entirely offline, barring their achievement system (and really, who gives a shit).

Could anyone clarify/confirm this? I was interested in the game, but I couldn't justify supporting Ubi's policies. I can justify rewarding them for recanting those policies, though; I just need to be clear about whether they actually did that or not. Oh, and did they do this for the most recent Anno?

Did they ever get the game fixed to a playable state? Those bug lists were pretty bad.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Oh, and did they do this for the most recent Anno?
    lolno

No idea about M&MH VI though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It's still on the 'Third Party DRM on Steam List', though I don't know how often that is updated:

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/in...e_Big_DRM_List
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Both Anno 2070 and HoMM VI have had offline modes since release. Though it's more than just the achievements you lose offline, pretty much everything persistent is tied to your Ubi profile. In HoMM, that means no legendary items and no persistent hero, in Anno no Ark Upgrades, Senate voting, daily missions or world events.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I believe heroes 6 always had an offline mode.

There are a few small features like weapons that level up with your account that don't work offline, but you really don't need them and at times you feel a bit overpowered using them anyways.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Both Anno 2070 and HoMM VI have had offline modes since release. Though it's more than just the achievements you lose offline, pretty much everything persistent is tied to your Ubi profile. In HoMM, that means no legendary items and no persistent hero, in Anno no Ark Upgrades, Senate voting, daily missions or world events.
    That's what I wanted clarified. I knew that HoMM VI had a neutered offline mode, but I had thought that Anno was 100% online only. Regardless, removing actual features--even if they are only cosmetic or imbalanced--from the single player mode when offline is something that I will not support.

Thanks everyone!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Nope, it's playable offline. The only features removed are the stuff that wouldn't be possible in offline in the first place - kinda hard to have a senate vote with only one voter for example. Daily missions aren't that huge (it's just a random condition or mission added to free play mode which boosts your reputation with a faction if completed). For World Events (which are DLC IIRC) you can play the campaign in single player (and use the new unlocks / buildings), the only thing you miss out on is the opportunity to influence how the event unfolds (since that's determined by the number of players who complete certain objectives, thus requires online).

HoMM VI on the other hand feels a lot more restricted in single player since you lose the ability to use a customised hero and benefit from the legacy items. That said it's still perfectly playable without them, but it's even more of a carbon copy of the previous games.

Of the two HoMM is the worst offender. I'm more inclined to be lenient to Anno since it only really strips out what would reasonably be considered online/multiplayer features in the first place. I guess in that respect you could see it a bit like Battlefield; it's got a single player mode, but the main game is online.