Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The proportion of stuff about whatever game some or all of the Hivemind are particularly keen on at a given time may have increased but I don't think the number of other games they write about has diminished, I think there's just more stuff posted on the site in general. I can't prove this of course (well, I could try, but it'd be a hell of a lot more effort than it's worth) but the success of the site means they can afford to devote more time to it, so they can use the extra time to write about whatever they fancy.

I couldn't give a tuppeny toss about Minecraft, for example, but it doesn't bother me that there were shitloads of articles on it. See also Diablo 3, to be honest. But then I know that there'll be games/mods/whatever that I am interested in that they'll write stuff about too.

Swings and roundabouts, but people really manage to make not clicking into an article and having to spend seconds reading article titles out to be a bit of a drama.

"I just spend less than a tenth of a minute skimming the front page paragraph to see if that article interests me. And it doesn't. It doesn't. Damn you, RPS! DAMN YOU!"
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

I hadn't really picked up on there being a crowd who thought RPS wasn't as good as it used to be. I certainly disagree.

That being said I do consume it differently now - because of the volume of posts I do avoid ones that are obviously well outside my sphere of interest, but that's fine with me, more choice is always good.

In terms of the comments... firstly I'm not sure how there being more or less comments particularly validates a post? Are you not able to track hits to that particular post? If no-one was even clicking through to read the full article then you might have reason to be aggrieved/concerned but otherwise I'd agree with others that people simply didn't feel they could add much without having played the game, and because things roll off the front page each day I suspect not many people revisit and comment upon past topics. I notice the shotcast doesn't generate too many comments but I don't think that's a sign that people don't listen or don't want it

Secondly, from a personal perspective I confess I got somewhat put off commenting on articles. While I only rarely commented in the past I did start to feel there was a small cross section of people (who only seem to post in the comments and not the forum) who are either trolls or general idiots, and since I'm not looking for an argument I figured why bother.

...in fact what the hell am I doing on the internet!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I think the addition of so many new writers has diluted the quality somewhat. I won't mention names but there's one writer in particular that I can reliably identify articles by before reading the name attached. That said, I still think the site is the best around.

There being a higher volume of articles I too skip ones that don't seem to interest me from the RSS blurb whereas I used to read nearly every one. Maybe I'm just missing the best stuff?
    Last edited by Fumarole; 30-05-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

My comments are not a metric of my interest. I'll often comment on an article I don't care about, in order to reply to another commenter. Plus, I'm more likely to make dumb jokey comments on, say, a news article about mainstream game x with 100 comments, than on a feature article about small indie game y with 14 comments. I'm almost always more interested in the latter, though.

The Gateways post was probably the most worthwhile post of the week, from my perspective, but I haven't commented on it yet. I downloaded the demo and bookmarked the post and the beta page, but generally in these cases, by the time I get around to trying the demo (even if it's only a day later) there's a fair chance I will have forgotten about the article.

Serious question: is it worth commenting on these sorts of articles to show interest or appreciation, even with nothing else to add? If so, I'll happily drop a note each time saying "thanks for the post, will try this soon". Alternatively/additionally, I could make an effort to remember to return and comment on the article after trying the game.
    Last edited by MD!; 30-05-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    In general I don't comment on articles because I find it more convenient to discuss issues of importance here on the forum. The comment system is a bit messy so even if I did want to make a point, chances are I won't bother because I just don't like the comment system. But if there is a discussion here on the forums I'll rant and rave like everybody else.

Personally I have no issues with the way RPS is posting or the content. I don't enjoy the majority of the indie articles, because none of them really interest me and some come off as a tiny bit pretentious, but that's okay. I'm not the target audience for that, I just skim or or don't read it, just the same way as I don't read Dental News Today.

Also I don't mind the Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 flood of information because I'd suggest it's a safe bet that more people are interested in those titles than Indie Arthouse Game #607. Last I heard RPS was about PC gaming, not just indie niches. I can't see an issue with increased coverage of major titles. Hell, for most indie titles there isn't much to really post about, but there's a multitude of stuff you can post about regarding Diablo 3. And clearly the issues surrounding such titles are big enough to encourage spirited discussion. That alone justifies the number of articles.

Keep up the good work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    As long as they give everything even treatment (which they do) then there is no problem. And by even treatment I don't meant posting even amounts about each game, I mean that when there is a news for a game they post it if it's at all meaningful (even if it's anecdotal, really), Diablo has a lot of news buzzing around right now and it's important they cover it, as long as they would afford the same treatment to another game.

That said I don't think some people recognise that because an article speaks about Diablo 3, doesn't make it ABOUT Diablo 3. This site is about PC gaming and no matter what you feel of the gameplay, it's an important milestone. There has been a dangerous precedent set by a game that is highly influential in the PC market and it should be and is well documented. Just because this issues aren't relevant to the game you care about right now doesn't make it unimportant to you as a PC gamer. Especially when the series/game you DO care about gets slapped with always on DRM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I guess it would affect the load time of the page, but I sometimes feel that there aren't enough articles displayed on the front page without clicking the "older entries" link. Perhaps have the 10 or so with blurbs, then just headline links for the previous 20 articles? Not really pertinent to this discussion, huh?

Anyway, keep up what you're doing, RPS!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    DayZ is a game that begs to be written about and it does things most games don't do, it warrants more coverage than your average. Like Eve, a lot of people will read about it without actually playing.

As for the wider point, I tend to do my whining/ranting in the forums rather than comments threads, because a discussion here can be on-going, whereas comments are more of the moment and require you to not be at work, sneaking 5 minutes to read your favourite gaming website.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    ]In general I don't comment on articles because I find it more convenient to discuss issues of importance here on the forum. The comment system is a bit messy so even if I did want to make a point, chances are I won't bother because I just don't like the comment system. But if there is a discussion here on the forums I'll rant and rave like everybody else.
    Likewise. I'm glad that nested comments has been added, but it would be great if there was a 'view all' option rather than pages. Not sure if the pages aspect adds to the advertizing revenue, but when a thread gets 4 pages deep it's hard to keep track on things and reply to people (I'd like to see the reply with their post above..rather than find myself at the bottom of page 1 and them have to fathom out which page the post is I was replying to was on and navigate back to it).

Personally I have no issues with the way RPS is posting or the content. I don't enjoy the majority of the indie articles, because none of them really interest me and some come off as a tiny bit pretentious, but that's okay. I'm not the target audience for that, I just skim or or don't read it, just the same way as I don't read Dental News Today.
    I'd like to see less of the 'Oh Ubisoft you silly sausage' style anthromophizing of publishers (they aren't singular people, they are large organisations). It's bad enough that every other post on say an EA article is 'EA are evil' or is grinding an axe over stuff that happened 15 years ago, without RPS encouraging that 'them and us' mindset. I'm not saying don't be critical (I'm all for criticism), but this sort of eye rolling 'look how silly they are' comes off as a bit wankerish at times tbh. It's reinforcing a flawed mindset.

Also I don't mind the Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 flood of information because I'd suggest it's a safe bet that more people are interested in those titles than Indie Arthouse Game #607. Last I heard RPS was about PC gaming, not just indie niches. I can't see an issue with increased coverage of major titles. Hell, for most indie titles there isn't much to really post about, but there's a multitude of stuff you can post about regarding Diablo 3. And clearly the issues surrounding such titles are big enough to encourage spirited discussion. That alone justifies the number of articles.
    Must admit unless an indie title is truly innovative in some fashion I'm generally not that interested in it. Also I have limited time to post, so when the articles flood in it's hard to keep on top of them, let alone comment.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    I honestly don't think RPS is as good as it used to be. The main reason for me is this; RPS post quite a lot of articles on the same game/mod on a regular basis. Take that Day Z mod for instance. How many articles has RPS posted on it? RPS do this too often for certain games/mods in my opinion. As for bloody Diablo III? Here's another from tonight - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ct-diablo-iii/
    And yet we've always done that. And we do it because we're writing about something we care about. Ignoring the completely peculiar complaint of there being four or five articles about one of the best games we've played this year (Day Z) over a couple of weeks, when you could just scroll past them to any of the other 15 or so posts that go up a day, it's not a new thing RPS has started doing, and so makes an odd example of proof of our decline.

Just read your article on Gateways. I read about it on Indie Games 2 days ago. Maybe others did too? - http://indiegames.com/2012/05/smudge...beta_for_.html
    Again, what an odd thing to say. Indie Games wrote a cursory two paragraph link, whereas I wrote a detailed preview of the game, with the discussion point of the puzzle to solve. Never mind.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    In terms of the comments... firstly I'm not sure how there being more or less comments particularly validates a post? Are you not able to track hits to that particular post? If no-one was even clicking through to read the full article then you might have reason to be aggrieved/concerned but otherwise I'd agree with others that people simply didn't feel they could add much without having played the game, and because things roll off the front page each day I suspect not many people revisit and comment upon past topics. I notice the shotcast doesn't generate too many comments but I don't think that's a sign that people don't listen or don't want it
    Yes, we can see how many hits a particular article gets. Like I said in the OP, if a post gets no comments it's really not a problem.

The point I was raising was my disappointment that those who are so quick to write lengthy complaints on the forum about our not posting X and only posting Y are never so quick to celebrate the reality of what we do. It seemed a useful example to point out - one of the best games I've played this year, and pretty much silence in response to it. And as it happens, the post did especially badly in hits - really low numbers. Which rather underlines my point.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I think the addition of so many new writers has diluted the quality somewhat. I won't mention names but there's one writer in particular that I can reliably identify articles by before reading the name attached. That said, I still think the site is the best around.
    You're aware, of course, that your least favourite writer will be someone else's most favourite. And "so many new writers" is a bit of a misnomer. In the last year we've added Adam Smith and Nathan Grayson. Two new writers, with the loss of Quintin, making a grand total of one extra writer. Um.

By the way, regarding this repeated claim that there are so many new articles: We've recently started putting up posts in the evening too, meaning we've gone from around 11 posts a day to around 15 posts a day. It's not quite the deluge people are suggesting!
    Last edited by John Walker; 30-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Serious question: is it worth commenting on these sorts of articles to show interest or appreciation, even with nothing else to add? If so, I'll happily drop a note each time saying "thanks for the post, will try this soon". Alternatively/additionally, I could make an effort to remember to return and comment on the article after trying the game.
    No, I think that would feel artificial. My perspective would be, those who are so quick to complain about the site would seemingly be more likely to express their pleasure when their views are contradicted. They don't. And that's rather my point.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Likewise. I'm glad that nested comments has been added, but it would be great if there was a 'view all' option rather than pages. Not sure if the pages aspect adds to the advertizing revenue, but when a thread gets 4 pages deep it's hard to keep track on things and reply to people (I'd like to see the reply with their post above..rather than find myself at the bottom of page 1 and them have to fathom out which page the post is I was replying to was on and navigate back to it).
    It's nothing to do with advertising - in fact, I think (but am not sure) the way the comments tech works doesn't even reload the page, so doesn't add a page impression. We use pages because otherwise the load time of an article with very many comments becomes very poor, and the site becomes unwieldy. I agree pages can be frustrating sometimes, but it's the best solution we've currently got.

Activated Node
    NAGAIUTB is something we've all witnessed everywhere though right?

Thing X is shiny and new - people like it
    Thing X attracts more people - some existing people don't like all the new people
    Thing X attracts more and more people - take a 1000 of any group of people and you have a few utter muppets in there
    Utter muppets turn some people off - some people leave and others shout NAGAIUTB
    Optional extras:
    Thing X adapts to the newcomers' wants, needs and interests
    Vicious circle ensues

How can there not be a name for this phenomenon when it happens everywhere?

The Wire
    Manic Street Preachers
    Backpacking after university
    Every political party ever
    Etc

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
    And yet we've always done that. And we do it because we're writing about something we care about. Ignoring the completely peculiar complaint of there being four or five articles about one of the best games we've played this year (Day Z) over a couple of weeks, when you could just scroll past them to any of the other 15 or so posts that go up a day, it's not a new thing RPS has started doing, and so makes an odd example of proof of our decline.

Again, what an odd thing to say. Indie Games wrote a cursory two paragraph link, whereas I wrote a detailed preview of the game, with the discussion point of the puzzle to solve. Never mind.
    Three in one week -

May 14th - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ay-z-part-two/
    May 16th - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...ator-of-day-z/
    May 19th - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...three-musings/

As for my comment on your article about Gateways my point was that others may have read about it elsewhere and aren't interested in the game. Check the viewcount for that article and see how many hits it had.

How does there being three Day Z articles in one week counter the claim of 4 or 5 in two weeks?
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
    The point I was raising was my disappointment that those who are so quick to write lengthy complaints on the forum about our not posting X and only posting Y are never so quick to celebrate the reality of what we do. It seemed a useful example to point out - one of the best games I've played this year, and pretty much silence in response to it. And as it happens, the post did especially badly in hits - really low numbers. Which rather underlines my point.
    Fair enough. Sadly I think celebration of success is always less, especially over time and especially when it becomes de rigueur.

Clearly you lot are just too good, you need to go 6 months posting inane foul mouthed gibberish then relaunch as RPS Classic or somesuch.

Might be a stupid question but with regards to the low hit count - was it low for these days or still low compared to Indie type posts from a few years ago? i.e. Has RPS brought on a chunk of 'mainstream' peeps, who avoid the indie posts, but retains a core of, for want of a better term, hardcore?

Bu...bu...hnnnngh...why does it matter!? Just. Don't. Read. Them.

Not that any of this needs to be defended, but ...

I could not care less about Day Z, but you cannot really fault RPS for writing about something that is interesting. When was the last time a mod made a game rocket up the sales charts? That alone makes Day Z worth writing about, I think. Also, the Day Z diary-type stories are no different from any number of other diary-type series RPS has run in the past. It's hardly unprecedented.

qZ6n.jpg

And let's not forget that RPS is the collected musings of people who are free to write about the games that interest them, instead of what some Evil Corporation™ wants them to write about. Evidently Jim is interested in Day Z.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 30-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    But that's over 6 days... 3 posts out of 70-90 articles over the same period (based on John's numbers of 15/day)....and 2 of them are part 2/3 in a single continuing saga.

It's not exact a bombardment is it.

Personally I've over been following the site for the last years odd so I can't comment on what it was like before but I've not had any issues with the quality or types of article being put out.

Of course with such a wide interest base your going to games being discussed, sometimes repeatedly, that you have no interest in. Personally I couldn't care less about FPSs, horror or sports type games, doesn't stop me from either giving a cursory read (in the case of FPS articles), a full-on examination in case its the game that gets me interested in a genre I want to like (horror) or ignoring alteather (Sorry sports).

Same as a magazine. Sometimes I'll flick past a article which isn't relative to my interests. Doesn't make it a bad read...
    Steam: Sarigs Origin: Sarisan
    Waraura