Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I'm not suggesting that AAA get priority over Indie, but there's nothing wrong with having categories subsections, as well as a top stories/latest news header.

http://lifehacker.com/

Every story comes in fresh but as more appear they get pushed down to their respective subsections, but remain headers within them.
    I... do not like that site's layout. It's rife with aggregate infostealing and ads masquerading as articles. It's like a pop-up ad with a site attached.

I'm still reminded of the difference between reading a newspaper in print and reading a newspaper online. You miss a lot online, not because it isn't there, but because it's relegated to a section you might not frequent.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm still reminded of the difference between reading a newspaper in print and reading a newspaper online. You miss a lot online, not because it isn't there, but because it's relegated to a section you might not frequent.
    Who has the time for newspapers these days?
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Agreed big time. Expose me to what I don't know, because I don't even know that I don't know it.

Someday we're gonna look back and say these were the glory years.
    Free speech don't mean unchallengeable speech.

Who has the time for newspapers these days?
    Excuse me a moment while I weep quietly for mankind.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Excuse me a moment while I weep quietly for mankind.
    John was asking for feedback. I like the site, but I do think it has problems with regard to layout and accessibility. I don't hold that lifehacker is a great site, but functionally it's a lot better especially for those of us with busy lives who want to cut to the chase. You're entitled to say you prefer it the way it is, but lay of with the bemoaning.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

John was asking for feedback.
    And I was expressing my opinion on your feedback. What of it? You made a snide comment, I made a snarky reply. Agree to disagree and all that.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    That lifehacker site was painful. Never been there before, but that has to be one of the most confusing sites I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    That lifehacker site was painful. Never been there before, but that has to be one of the most confusing sites I've ever seen.
    I'm not saying 'exactly like this' (they cover a lot of stuff) but somewhere in between wouldn't be bad Vs one big long linear scroll your mouse for 14 seconds a page list'o'stuff then change page that is what we presently have.

Probable Replicant

@John: I like RPS the way it is. I dont comment much, because I find it hard to keep up with comments, and I rarely look any further than the first page.

I sometimes get the feeling, however, that the forums are sortof... ignored, and left to fend for themselves. But Its just a feeling, and wont make me cancel my subscription. Please to all writers here: keep on writing your stuffs! RPS is something the gaming world needs.

@nalano: dont be silly, nobody needs newspapers and never has. It'd be like crying because people dont read off of stone tablets or dont have town criers anymore. It's actually the newspapers that are being bastards at the moment, atleast in europe. They are trying to get backpayments from artists and companies quoting them, as alledged copyright infringement. All very silly, you see.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    @nalano: dont be silly, nobody needs newspapers and never has.
    I initially didn't even think you were serious, but then, this being the internet, I'm going to have to take the far more distressing option and assume you are.
    Last edited by Nalano; 31-05-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Activated Node
    I think the real issue here is that the forums are full of the usual grumpy internet people. Sensible people tend to read the articles and move on. It is certainly my most visited website, ever since my finding it a couple of years ago. The forums less so - they are rife with the same rubbish as all forums. They are full of regulars who believe they're having 'lively discussions' when really it's closer to a bunch of people standing in a room together, all muttering and shouting their opinions to themselves. God forbid when they actually attempt to address each others points. They have to spend half the post assuring everyone that they actually read the preceding posts. A total joke.

Please, do ignore the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeatsock View Post
    Please, do ignore the comments.
    Here here!
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Quote Originally Posted by sockeatsock View Post
    I think the real issue here is that the forums are full of the usual grumpy internet people. Sensible people tend to read the articles and move on. It is certainly my most visited website, ever since my finding it a couple of years ago. The forums less so - they are rife with the same rubbish as all forums. They are full of regulars who believe they're having 'lively discussions' when really it's closer to a bunch of people standing in a room together, all muttering and shouting their opinions to themselves. God forbid when they actually attempt to address each others points. They have to spend half the post assuring everyone that they actually read the preceding posts. A total joke.
    Johns not asking about the forums, he's asking about the articles.

Probable Replicant

Network Hub
    I believe that in pretty much every way that counts, RPS is better than ever. A better forum(ignoring spam bots and out of control egos), better comments system, more content.

That said, personally, the site is far less appealing to me. I have little interest in most 'news', I've been avoiding game previews since the late 90's, I've never bought into the whole indie thang (personally, I find most of it pretty damn kitsch // and I don't really care how a game is funded/published, I care about the game iself), and I find that the two types of content I do love RPS for (reviews and game diaries) are facing increasing signal to noise. I also think Kieron was a big loss and no replacement has been able to fill his niche.

So, categories would be nice :)
    And more game diaries would be even nicer, though I appreciate they're hard to do and take a lot of time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    You need to be hit with the correct stone in the right side of the head to have the genius to write as good articles as Kieron. It's not about content, but style, he would make you take interest in fucking Robot Unicorn just in the way he amazed himself with it.

The indie uprising is like going back to full-piracy mode again. So much to see I just crawled back to my niche genres, while still trying major releases every now and then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walker View Post
    You're aware, of course, that your least favourite writer will be someone else's most favourite. And "so many new writers" is a bit of a misnomer. In the last year we've added Adam Smith and Nathan Grayson. Two new writers, with the loss of Quintin, making a grand total of one extra writer. Um.
    Perhaps I'm recalling the heady days of the Original Four. I've been reading the site for about four years, maybe more (going by when I joined GOG - September '08 and I learned about GOG via RPS). It's hard to put a finger on it but there is something different about the site. It's still leaps and bounds ahead of everything else, which may be why readers are so sensitive to change.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    First of all, I don't think the site has been getting worse; I've been reading RPS since shortly after it started and I still read and enjoy the site as much as I ever have. I feel like the attitudes towards some subjects have changed a little but it's not something I'd use as a major criticism of the site as a whole.

I am less inclined to engage with the comments than I used to be though, partly because it's too much bother to keep up with ongoing conversations within them these days (they move off the front page very quickly and even with nested comments it takes time just to find your way back to interesting comments) and partly because I just don't find most of the discussions all that interesting any more. While the signal/noise ratio may not have become worse in the articles, I definitely feel like it has in the comment threads.

So at least in my case, and it seems I'm far from alone, the amount of commenting I do is not a good measure of how much I enjoy and want to see more of certain articles.

The larger volume of posts on the site lately does make it harder to keep up and easier to miss interesting stuff though. I hadn't even noticed the Gateways article so it must've slipped to the 2nd page between visits. I used to read almost everything that got posted on the site but I simply can't these days and as soon as you start skimming headlines you're going to miss things. I like the blog format and hope you'll keep it, but anything you could do to make the site easier to navigate and keep interesting posts more visible would be great. I liked the Omnibus and would be happy to see it return (it would be a great companion to the Sunday Papers) but I also assume you scrapped it for a good reason. Perhaps it's just a failing on my part to keep an eye on the "Read our finest words" box.

As a final thought: Just as I agree the readers shouldn't view the increase in post volume as a sign that the site is getting less original content, I hope the writers of the site don't form their view of what the readership wants from the hopeless mewlings of angry internet men.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I think the addition of so many new writers has diluted the quality somewhat. I won't mention names but there's one writer in particular that I can reliably identify articles by before reading the name attached. That said, I still think the site is the best around.
    Just as a counter opinion, I think Adam has done some wonderful writing for the site (the best new addition since Kieron left in my view) and Nathan is doing a great job making the news fun. Even if you don't care for the personal style of the new writers, surely the fact that they free up the other three to write more feature stuff is a good thing?
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 31-05-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typnig si hadr

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    I've never bought into the whole indie thang (personally, I find most of it pretty damn kitsch // and I don't really care how a game is funded/published, I care about the game itself)
    Kind of with you on that front. I feel that 'Indie' status seems to be a passport to instant approval ('well done for making a game. Have a gold star') and that for me just doesn't sit right. I'd rather forget the financial aspect and concentrate on the positives or negatives of the game. What's it doing differently Vs everything else.

Probable Replicant

Re: layout my suggestion would be a horizontal line of optional filter tabs between the 'featured articles' box and the beginning of the news posts proper. Some suggestions for possible filters: indie, news and previews, reviews and features, issues/commentary,

As well as allowing folks to refine the content they're exposed to, this would also do something to alleviate the volume/page concerns, in that obviously if you're looking at a single page of indie articles, you're going to see (indie) content equivalent to several pages of unfiltered posts. As such it would also provide an efficient way for folks to 'catch up' on content of particular interest that they may have missed.

EDIT: Something like Fark has going.

On an unrelated note, I think RPS has been fortunate indeed to secure the services of one of the key figures of the Scottish Enlightenment.
    Last edited by Rii; 31-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Just a quick reply. I think I've been reading about four years now. I'm not going to lie - when Quinns and KG left one after the other, it felt like a bit of a kick to the nads, but I really enjoyed their articles, so I was bound to feel that way. I don't want you to think that's a reflection on everyone else.

Having said that, I've seen RPS consciously try out different formats, different series -whether it was the mod sequence, the flare path, in addition to their more usual esoteric game diaries and the like, and it's always engaging. There does seem to be a bit more newsy news, and Fireaxis' X-Com has been previewed an awful lot, but I realise you're trying to balance provide information in addition to your more traditional content, and X-Com is kind of a special case since it's clearly a cause celebre for many writers and readers here. I'm not seeing any less indie coverage.

The NAGAIUTB crowd maybe miss some of the old writers, but tough. You guys don't just want to write about games, and people have careers they want to follow. If that's where some of the nostalgia is coming from, there's nowt much to be done about it. The punk indie stuff was a good example of the kind of coverage RPS always excels at, as was Jim sitting down to do a WIT on Iron Front.

I don't comment much myself - I don't play enough games right now to comment except in the most theoretical sense, but this place is pretty much the only place I'm going to come to for gaming news. I don't have time to be reading multiple sites, and I like the writing and approach here better than anywhere else. Also, for the most part, the comments are more civil and less full of idiocy even when covering topics prone to much fanboy rage. Which is not to say I don't occasionally read things like the diablo threads just to see the ensuing car crash of nonsense when dedicated followers and anti-diablo-ists get into it.

The only comment I'd have is a mobile specific site would be nice. I'm a freelancer and stay-at-home parent - I don't often have time to sit down at a keyboard, but like to browse for 20 minutes when I get a spot of space to meself during the day. It can take an awful long time for stuff to load up.

One final note - you guys can only write about good stuff if you can find good stuff to write about. I think RPS is much more resourceful than either sites in coming up with interesting pieces, but I've recalled stretches in the past where almost a week has gone by without much to interest me. But it was ever thus, and people who say otherwise are really kidding themselves.