Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    And the rest of it, man. Come on, stop being disingenuous.
    Disingenuous? I'm pretty well know for being forthright in my opinions. If I was calling out RPS for being overly generous when it comes to indie reviews I'd of said so in no uncertain terms. I'm not talking reviews, I'm talking about the term 'indie' and how I find it problematic because frankly it's ill fitting: -

Indie is shorthand for small really. If we want to really talk about 'independent' then in truth we're into the realms of private Vs public ownership, in which case some very big fish whom aren't beholden to shareholders enter the equation. Is 'small' a suitable category to throw at a game? Certainly it's a comment on the status of the creators (though some supposed 'indie' teams are surprisingly large), but it's not really telling us anything about the nature of the game and there in I believe lies a problem. I kind of feel that 'indie' is used as a shield against criticism. You can't really slate an 'indie' game, without being made to feel like your being overly harsh because 'hey there's only two of them, and they made it living off tips for two years'. It's up there with booing the kid for fluffing his lines at the nativity play. Without criticism what are you left with but faint praise?
    Albeit there are problems with current gaming genre definitions (FPS covers a multitude of sins, and RPG is always a bone of contention) at least they have something to say about the game mechanistically (much like with films we can talk about rom coms or horror films), and fans of that particular genre know in some capacity what they are getting. But what does 'indie' say about a game? Is it not akin to calling a film 'low budget'? Is that a positive? I'm not entirely convinced it is. Fundamentally What I'm cautioning against is that, if (as seems sensible/likely) following the feedback here the Hivemind revamp the current blog format, they don't go down the route of using 'indie' as a label and bundle a multitude of different titles in there. I'd rather see games categorised under genre (outmoded as some of them are) rather than lumped together under a categorisation that says nothing about game play, and (in my view) neuters critical discussion.

Sorry, what? Come again? What exactly does that mean?
    You expect me to believe that you don't understand what critical discussion is? If you proffer an opinion it's generally done so in order to demonstrate to another party your way of thinking. It's the difference between a statement 'I like/hate this game' and an assessment 'I thought this game was interesting because... (inset rationale)'. There is little of real value in the former ('you hated the game, good on you' ), but there's likely some value in the latter ('so what is exactly that you didn't like about the interface?'How can we improve it? 'so you enjoyed some cutscenes and not others? Which ones?' etc, etc, etc).

Perhaps maybe in your 'fiercely independent' cave (Republic of RobF) you're not used to normal human interaction, but in the real world of design where you engage with people on a daily basis opinions win through on weight and merit, not singular personal belief.

Now you can tell me to the cows come home about how DAII holds no value to you, or how you don't give a stuff about this that or whatever, but unless you're proffering a viewpoint with any logical substance or rationale to it beyond a 'this rules/sucks' mentality why should I (or anyone else) care. So yes, opinions only matter if they have some weight and merit to them. That is how the real world works.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 04-06-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Kad, nah. You're being disingenuous in leaving out huge chunks of things you said or cherry picking parts of conversations to make it look like you never said certain things or that "the conversation has moved on, look we were talking about this not that since 5 pages ago even though I mentioned it in my last post but shush". Whether you're forthright in your opinions is nothing compared to how you fake ignorance constantly or move the goalposts. Like just then. You did it again!

Anyway back to the matter in hand rather than the Kadayi sideshow routines, you don't have to have some critical weight to opinions at all. It's perfectly valid to say "that's shit, I don't like it". That's absolutely fine. Because ultimately, it's a matter of taste and tastes differ. No-one has to justify their tastes to anyone else, there is no arbiter of taste.

You don't have to pay attention to it, you don't even have to like it but it's ok. You can pick and choose what opinions you listen to, that's a fairly normal thing for humans to do. We all gravitate to our biases in some way. You can even do what you do and choose to outright ignore anything that doesn't fit with your worldview and rubbish or dismiss it if you so choose. That's also OK in a kind of uncomfortable but if it gets you through the day way.

But you don't get to decide for everyone else what opinions are worthwhile for anyone else but you, Kad. You don't get to insist that people offer a detailed critique or their opinion is worth nothing out there for anyone else but you. That's not your choice, Kad. Sometimes people just don't like things because it's not their thing. No amount of detailed critique would get anyone anywhere, they still wouldn't like it. So rather than wasting breath on trying to explain to people why they don't like a thing because if everyone had to do that over things they didn't like, no-one would get anywhere, they can just say "it's shit!" and move on.

If you can't or won't then accept that, that's not their problem to deal with!

Perhaps maybe in your 'fiercely independent' cave (Republic of RobF) you're not used to normal human interaction, but in the real world of design where you engage with people on a daily basis opinions win through on weight and merit, not singular personal belief
    You do realise you've just put a whole wordvomit on how people should conform to your personal beliefs whereas I'm arguing they have autonomy and don't have to do any such thing, right? If you're going to throw something back at me, try and make it less unintentionally hilarious next time, eh? Or rather, just stop doing that.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Kad, nah. You're being disingenuous in leaving out huge chunks of things you said or cherry picking parts of conversations to make it look like you never said certain things or that "the conversation has moved on, look we were talking about this not that since 5 pages ago even though I mentioned it in my last post but shush". Whether you're forthright in your opinions is nothing compared to how you fake ignorance constantly or move the goalposts. Like just then. You did it again!
    I just quoted an entire post I made, and broke it down in its entirety. The only one whose cherry picking around here is you Rob. Take a line here and line there and it's easy to fabricate all manner of lurid conspiracies from them, not so easy however when put in context though.

You don't have to have some critical weight to opinions at all. It's perfectly valid to say "that's shit, I don't like it". That's absolutely fine. Because ultimately, it's a matter of taste and tastes differ. No-one has to justify their tastes to anyone else, there is no arbiter of taste.
    Unless you can articulate your world you might as well not speak, because all you are Rob is background noise that distracts from the real conversation. Do you think John, Jim or Alex don't weigh their words when writing a WiT? That they don't carefully evaluate what they say so that their readers understand where they are coming from? That you think it's ok for people to pass off a game simply as 'shit' without elaboration says more about your views as to the value of others opinions than anything else truth be told.

You do realise you've just put a whole wordvomit on how people should conform to your personal beliefs whereas I'm arguing they have autonomy and don't have to do any such thing, right? If you're going to throw something back at me, try and make it less unintentionally hilarious next time, eh? Or rather, just stop doing that.
    No man is an island.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 04-06-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: meh repeat word

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It is my opinion that this has just got overwhelmingly silly now. I do not feel the need to justify this opinion; I believe it is self-evident.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    It is my opinion that this has just got overwhelmingly silly now. I do not feel the need to justify this opinion; I believe it is self-evident.
    Your contributions are as sage as ever Nathan.

Probable Replicant

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    That you think it's ok for people to pass off a game simply as 'shit' without elaboration says more about your views as to the value of others opinions than anything else truth be told.
    I don't care what it says about me. It's still allowed, Kad! I don't mind if people disagree with me, it's cool! I might be intrigued as to why they disagree but I'm not going to insist they elaborate just to satisfy me, what a waste of existence all round that'd be. People are allowed their own reasons, I accept that.

If they want to share their reasons, good-oh, but when we're only talking about taste in a cultural artefact, whatever. Life's too short and there's no shortage of opinions on these things to read anyway that are shared willingly not under duress. As long as they're not being abusive towards someone, I'm chilled about it.

If that makes me a bad man or something, I'm down with that. That's cool.

It's still massively different from claiming something is because of something without being able to back that up. But keep going!
    Last edited by RobF; 04-06-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I don't care what it says about me. It's still allowed, Kad! I don't mind if people disagree with me, it's cool! I might be intrigued as to why they disagree but I'm not going to insist they elaborate just to satisfy me, what a waste of existence all round that'd be. People are allowed their own reasons, I accept that.
    It's still massively different from claiming something is because of something without being able to back that up. But keep going!
    contradiction
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    contradiction
    You lost a great chance to shout objection while pointing at the screen. And then post a Phoenix Wright image.

I. can't. believe. where. this. thread. has. gone.

At least it's not an argument about the definition of the RPGs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dunno, it's possible to learn something from the RPG definition arguments. This, on the other hand, is just a test of stamina.

it's possible to learn something
    This, on the other hand, is just a test of stamina.
    contradiction!

Seriously though, yes. Let this thread end.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    contradiction
    No, it's not. But let's not go through that for the thirtieth time, eh?

RPS forums, I weep for thee.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Activated Node
    At what point is it considered polite to just agree to disagree and get on with life?

Right after you've shot the other person in the face.

Obscure Node
    I felt sad when I read the opening post as I'm guilty of simply ditching articles that aren't appealing to me by looking at the picture and title. Henceforth, I shall change my surfing happits on RPS and click on the most unappealing articels with greatest joy. And even if I'm not interested in the game after digging through the text, I still killed 2 birds with one stone as I should read more english texts but can't be bothered reading books. (by the way, any great games out there with a lot of (written) text and good stories?).

What does NAGAIUTB stand for?

edit: Berzee's suggestion is great! (5th comment or so ITT).
    Last edited by mr.ioes; 05-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.ioes View Post
    Not As Good As It Used To Be.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.ioes View Post
    NathanH, a grade 'A' idiot, uses these boards.

Obscure Node
    Not sure if the original topic is still live here, but I have a suggestion that might ameliorate the issue John flags up.

Bit-Tech has (or used to have) a system where the comment thread on each article became a matching forum thread. I don't know exactly how it worked (or how much technical faffery it would involve for RPS) but it has the benefit that it ties the forum community more closely to the commenting community.

Why this might help is that where you get the 250-comment threads on some hot topic these can then stay alive independently within the forum and perhaps reduce the stimulus for people rerun the same arguments again and again within the comments section -- maybe encouraging people to diversify their commenting.

For less commented articles, it might also give them more of an opportunity to function at a slower burn -- at the moment if a comment thread doesn't catch fire within the first few hours it is basically dead because the original article is then off the front page and time has moved on. This is actually one of the reasons why I don't comment as much as I might -- since I only have a couple of potential comment windows (maybe 10 mins at lunchtime or in the evening) unless a topic I might want to comment on in hits the front page at exactly that time, then I'm generally too late to usefully contribute (maybe that's a blessing?).

Just a thought (and I apologise if I am digging over old ground).

JHNG