Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mists of Pandaria

So ... anyone else interested?

For my part, I think the Pandaren look awesome, the Monk class looks awesome, the updates to my existing character class (Shaman) sound awesome, the environments and artwork look awesome, and the Chinese mythology angle -- which I know nothing about -- is an intriguing and welcome one also. Plus there's the whole 'comfort food' thing.

As with Wrath and Cata I doubt that I'll stick with it past the first month or two, but then that's longer than I spend with most games these days. Now if only I could figure out how to get my hands on the CE in Australia. For the art book you understand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Didn't you just get finished likening Blizzard to the devil?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Integrity only when it's convenient. You should move to America!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I'm fairly certain that Blizzard endorses childhood obesity since the game contains fat pandas as a playable race.

Anyone else for the ignore list today?

Obscure Node
    Not interested in the WoW thing anymore. Sure it looks pretty, but it's going to be the same damn thing over again.

I'd rather play Eve or GW2 or Planetside 2. Anything but WoW. (Ok, I would play WoW before TOR, but thats with a gun to my head.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I'm flabbergasted that something as Mists of Pandaria can exist in a world created as a clone of Warhammer.
    pass

WoW was released years before Warhammer.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    The first edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle was released by Games Workshop in early 1983.

Now I won't be surprised if they include some Pandaren-like stuff (or Jar Jar) in Starcraft. They've already done it to Warcraft, and Diablo (visual style, Whimsyshire even if it was meant as an insult). So Starcraft would be the only one standing out. So will it happen in HotS, or the Protoss update ?
    pass

Oh you mean the board game. Ironic then that Warhammer Online became a WoW clone.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Oh you mean the board game. Ironic then that Warhammer Online became a WoW clone.
    No, I mean the setting. Wikipedia quote:

Warhammer is notable for its "dark and gritty" background world, which features a culture similar in appearance to Early Modern Germany crossed with Tolkien's Middle-earth. "Chaos" is central to the setting, as the forces of Chaos are attempting unceasingly to tear the mortal world asunder.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Ah, that one never gets old.

I can't believe people are still playing WoW.

Activated Node
    The reason people still play wow is attachment to either their characters they've worked hard on or their friends that still play.

As for mop to be completly honest the thing that seems the coolest out of everything in it is the Pokemon clone. If there wasn't a sub I might have played some of it.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I only played wow for so long as I ended up playing with a group of people whose company I enjoyed.

Now a good chunk of those are moving to GW2 so after these years of mild banter across 100 different games it'll be nice to play properly with them again.

As for pandaria I'm sure it'll be fun but I find the core of the WoW mechanics are something I can't get behind so I'm happy to give this a wide berth.

Network Hub
    I've not been excited about anything WoW-related since The Burning Crusade. I first quit playing right before WotLK came out, then I started playing for a few months after Cataclysm released only to learn that I had essentially wasted $100 on the two expansions and 3 months of game time because the game was just as grindy, and had introduced a bunch of cheap gimmicks to try to make things seem fresh. PvP was just as unbalanced as always, and overall nothing had changed at all.

I'm more surprised about the fact that they're basing an entire WoW expansion around an April Fool's Day joke than anything. It screams of desperation to me. It's as if they're willing to do anything to keep people from leaving WoW and going to another MMO before they get around to launching Titan or whatever the hell their next MMO is going to be named.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Maybe hypocrites would impress me more if they didn't always just shut their eyes and ears when they got called on it. Then again, they'd still be hypocrites.

Obscure Node
    I'm excited for Mists, it'll just be more of the same, but with refinements and so forth, standard Blizzard stuff. But I'll be getting it on launch for sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I'm in a bit of an odd situation, in which on the one hand I'm still having fun every weekend with a couple of hours of WoW with a few old in-game friends, although we don't do anything very serious; run some old raids, do some PvP, etc. On the other hand though, there is nothing in Mists of Pandaria that particularly interests me. I don't care about the new race. I don't particularly care about the new zones, because Blizzard has for a few years now failed to make them anything but leveling zones, and I haven't been paying attention to class changes to really get excited about that. Anyway; I suppose the account-wide sharing of mounts is nice. Vial of the Sands for everybody...
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    I'm more surprised about the fact that they're basing an entire WoW expansion around an April Fool's Day joke than anything. It screams of desperation to me
    I don't understand why the origin of the concept matters so much. Surely what's important is that it be interesting and well-executed and so on? Of course if it doesn't tickle your fancy that's fine -- different strokes for different folks and all that -- but that's not what I've been hearing. For my part I thought that Monks/Pandaren/Pandaria sounded interesting when I first heard about them and have only become moreso as more information has been revealed.

I don't see where the 'desperation' angle is coming from either. I mean, sure, expansions are designed to bring people who don't engage with the endgame model (like me) back to the game. That's the point. And of course they're going to try and offer something that arouses folks' interest, that too is the basic nature of things. So where does 'desperation' enter into it? It certainly isn't that they've run out of ideas, as at the very least we know of one expansion idea they worked on pre-BC that hasn't yet been implemented: the Emerald Dream.
    Last edited by Rii; 22-07-2012 at 10:16 AM.