Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Stanley Parable non news

I assume some of you played the Stanley Parable mod for HL2. It was bloody brilliant, and those of you who haven't shouldn't look any info up on it until you've tried it.

The creator is doing a better looking / more refined version at the moment, here's a little teaser.

Banned
    I thought it was kind of pointless. Whole damn point of a game is to immerse the player into a fantasy world, not teach them a damn lesson, and certainly not by breaking the 4th wall the ENTIRE WAY THROUGH. Even if you're trying to send a message ffs integrate it into the narrative, don't make the narrative the message itself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Whole damn point of a game is to immerse the player into a fantasy world,
    Nope. Different games have different points, it'd be a pretty dull medium if they were all trying to do exactly the same thing.

I thought it was kind of pointless. Whole damn point of a game is to immerse the player into a fantasy world, not teach them a damn lesson
    Sounds like it worked exactly as designed.

This is great non-news. It was really fucking brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzroy_doll View Post
    Sounds like it worked exactly as designed.
    Kind of appropriate, considering he/she calls themselves "hamster", isn't it?

One of my favourite games. Who is the voice over actor? He's great

Obscure Node
    Update...the narrator is now taking questions.

Here is his first response to a user where he sends up the user as well as Dear Esther and DRM

That voice is bloody hilarious, a nice combination of Dale Winton and Sybil Fawlty. Great stuff and very funny.

That trailer is a must watch, and I also re-urge anyone who hasnt played this HL2 mod to not look up any info on this game until you've tried it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post
    Kind of appropriate, considering he/she calls themselves "hamster", isn't it?
    It's a game that breaks the 4th wall 100% of the time. When people make a point in a movie or a game, they don't just grab a guy and make him list out and signpost what the themes are. "HELLO THEM TWIN TOWERS ARE A-FALLING, HELLO THE MOSQUES ARE BLOWING UP, HELLO DON'T THEY LOOK THE SAME? HERE IS A COIN. HERE IS ONE SIDE. HERE IS THE OTHER. THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO A COIN. THIS IS SOCIAL COMMMENTARY."

It is not even a game since the entire purpose of the whole thing is to make a point. Not once did it try to entertain. Perhaps it appeals to the pseudo-intellectual in you. It sure as hell felt like a waste of time to me though.

Banned
    Even if you're trying to send a message ffs integrate it into the narrative, don't make the narrative the message itself.
    But that requires effort and imagination.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Trolls be trollin'

So is this a longer version of the Stanley Parable or just a makeover? I don't bother with many HL2 mods anymore (shocking) but I'm glad I played through TSP. Fun idea. Would prefer to see something different from the creator rather than the same thing again but shinier.

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Trolls be trollin'

So is this a longer version of the Stanley Parable or just a makeover? I don't bother with many HL2 mods anymore (shocking) but I'm glad I played through TSP. Fun idea. Would prefer to see something different from the creator rather than the same thing again but shinier.
    From what I understand, it's the former - a remake of Stanley Parable with additional content.

Which makes me very happy, as The Stanley Parable is absolutely my GotY 2011.
    Multinational man of misery.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by tssk View Post
    Update...the narrator is now taking questions.

Here is his first response to a user where he sends up the user as well as Dear Esther and DRM

This is pure gold.

So, The Stanley Parable: HD Remix is now on Greenlight. Thought you'd want to give it a look. ^^

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=95511356

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I've no idea what this is, but the GreenLight video alone sold it for me. Upvoted.

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    That trailer was delightfully sarcastic. Or at least I hope it was. The Stanley Parable was an uplifting tale of hope? It was supposed to make me cry at the end? I'd have called it darkly funny and well-crafted. Sure, the message was about the futility and inherent pointlessness of videogames, but it had a message (still somewhat rare in games) and I think made it very well.

Compare it with Bioshock, which made the same point but decided that we needed another twist (Fontaine!) and a different, poorly integrated theme (something about family and living up to your parents, or something, it's been a while and all I can clearly remember is the disappointing shift away from the collapse of Rapture) to drag things out to a final battle with the cover art from Atlas Shrugged.

Also, been playing Startopia a lot lately, and the narrator reminds me of a sinister VAL.

I utterly adored The Stanley Parable, so this is fantastic news. The two videos are brilliant as well, mostly thanks to the brilliant voice over work by Kevan Brighting. Thanks for posting the update or I would never have found out about them!

Not once did it try to entertain. Perhaps it appeals to the pseudo-intellectual in you. It sure as hell felt like a waste of time to me though.
    I must say I was thoroughly entertained by it and played through to every ending in a single session. Different people like to be entertained by games in different ways though. I found this much more entertaining that most FPS games out there at the moment, but I'm sure many people would disagree!

I really don't know what kept me from playing The Stanley Parable until now, I had a copy sitting on my hard drive since it was first mentioned on RPS, but I'm glad I did. This way, I had the opportunity to play it today and explore its many paths for the first time. wow. impressive!

hamster, were you Raphael by any chance?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga