Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A hacker in the justice system

I thought it might be interesting to keep an eye on how the case against Ryan Cleary proceeds.

Tuesday 20th June: Arrested at 3.30 A.M. in a dawn raid on his family home as part of a joint probe by Scotland Yard and the F.B.I.

Tuesday - Thursday: Questioning by the Metropolitan Police's e-crimes unit in a London police station.

Thursday 23rd June: Brought before City of Westminster's Magistrates Court and charged with the following offences -

• Conspiring to create a botnet (s 1 Criminal Law Act 1977)
    • Causing a DDoS attack on the Serious Organised Crime Agency's website, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industy's website, and the British Phonographic Industry's website (s 3 Computer Misuse Act 1990). Each offence carries a maximum sentence of ten years imprisonment.
    • Offering a botnet for DDoS attacks (s 3A CMA 1990). Maximum sentence of 2 years imprisonment.

Ryan Cleary did not enter a plea and was remanded in police custody for another three days.

Metropolitan Police sources states that investigations into attacks on foreign networks are still ongoing.

Newspapers report that the F.B.I. wish to question him about an attack on Facebook and may seek extradition.

as I understand it he isn't responsible for the DDoS attack, he maintained some chat forum or something similar.

its good news though because these guys managed to piss off just about everyone on the internet and the internet responded by naming and shaming a whole bunch of them, names, addresses, what role they play in luzsec etc. wont be long before the rest of them are caught too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I really hope the guy they got will spill some beans on the rest of the network. Deal some blow against these vandals.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I think they pretty much screwed themselves when they went after the CIA website. For all the posturing these people aren't half as smart as the believe they are (let's label it the arrogance of youth), I'm sure there will be further arrests over the coming weeks as they are gradually rooted out.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    For all the posturing these people aren't half as smart as the believe they are (let's label it the arrogance of youth)
    The only one arrested currently is 19 years old, perhaps. But, from what I know, I think we'll be seeing some older individuals (around 30) arrested later.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Ryan

Essex 'hacker' Ryan Cleary's mother tells of 'suicide' threat

The teenager had been diagnosed with ADHD, agrophobia and Emotional Behaviour Disorder, she [his mother] said.
    as I understand it he isn't responsible for the DDoS attack, he maintained some chat forum or something similar.
    afaik he provided an IRC chat and might have run LOIC

Edit:
    and suddenly everyone's an expert.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 23-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.

AFAIK he's not responsible for any criminal activities; he only has links to LulzSec via operating their IRC channel. I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to pressure him into giving them details.

Network Hub
    Why is it that all of these hackers have some kind of mental 'disorder'?

The details on the charge sheet are quite suggestive.

The SOCA attack was pretty recent, I don't know much about that.

The other two DDoS attacks are from last year I think and probably relate to when he was allegedly part of Anonymous.

The other two offences are of conspiracy to create a botnet and offering to provide one - i.e. not that he carried out the attacks, which I imagine would be harder to prove. The evidence those charges are based on is most likely IRC logs - of someone identified as him offering his botnets to be used in an attack.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    The only one arrested currently is 19 years old, perhaps. But, from what I know, I think we'll be seeing some older individuals (around 30) arrested later.
    Why would you think anyone else will be arrested? It's really, really easy to hide your identity on the internet these days, from cracking wifi passwords to using Tor. Some basic precautions and even the Sooper Sekrit CIA/NSA/FBI techniques are entirely ineffectual.

This kid ran an IRC server, presumably on an address that was directly connected to him (it's more difficult to anonymously host things). Oops. Even if he hasn't committed any crimes, he's definitely sitting on a boatload of evidence.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    The answer is in the question.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
    Because you'd have to be retarded to find that crap entertaining -.-

12 months, 2 days later...

Arise thread! I command you... ARISE!!

Seems Ryan Cleary and Jake Davis have both pleaded Guilty to, at the least, hacking the CIA, Pentagon and SOCA Websites (and the NHS Website - what did they ever do? - EVE Online, Bethesda, PBS - objecting to their 'left leaning' ideology, and educational public broadcasts no doubt). Still just coming in and they, along with 2 others, face a swathe of other charges still. Some links...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18577609

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-Pentagon.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Kadayi is RockPaperShotguns Dawn Falcon
    If only anyone knew who Dawn Falcon was or cared Unaco.

Obscure reference is obscure.

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    If only anyone knew who Dawn Falcon was or cared Unaco.

Obscure reference is obscure.
    Please, keep it on topic Kadayi. Thanks.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Please, keep it on topic Kadayi. Thanks.
    No. I'm just curious as to whether you know who Dawn Falcon is? I do. Which is why I find the reference quite amusing (if not slightly surreal tbh).

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    This a thread in the wrong forum, necro'd and then used for pointless bickering. That trifecta must not stand, please someone lock this.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    This a thread in the wrong forum, necro'd and then used for pointless bickering. That trifecta must not stand, please someone lock this.
    It was resurrected for a decent reason but the bickering ought to stop, especially since it is about something in a sig and not the actual topic.

edit: The observation about this being in the wrong forum is correct. To the Other Stuff mobile!
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 25-06-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    This a thread in the wrong forum, necro'd
    I apologise for the combination of Necro and wrong Forum... I saw the news earlier today (about them pleading guilty), and remembered there was a topic on the subject. If I'd noticed this was in PC Gaming, rather than Other Stuff, I wouldn't have Necro'd and would have started a new topic instead. So apologies for bringing back the thread. Maybe it could get moved to "Other Stuff"?

The bickering, and straying off topic, I can only protest my innocence over this. I tried to steer Kadayi back on topic, and refused to engage on the off topic discussion.

Edit: As I typed, moved to Other Stuff. Now let's just keep it on topic. The pair (Cleary and Davis) will next appear in court July 12th, where it'll be decided if they'll stand trial over the other charges.
    Last edited by Unaco; 25-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Bring back hanging I say....apparently

Probable Replicant