Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Activated Node

Battlefield Premium now available costs 39.99(!)

I just had a message pop up on Origin that Battlefield Premium is now available for the bargain price of 39.99!

That's 10 more than I paid for the full game. I've already got Karkand, so it's not even full value for me.

Might be worth it at 29.99, but no way am I paying 40 for add-on packs, plus a bit of queue jumping.

Network Hub
    And queue jumping on Premium specific servers at that. Definitely not worth the money.

I think I'll only get it when I give in to peer pressure and all the guys I play with get it. Though yes, selling the same game twice is an art.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Worthless, cynical, depressing marketing decision. In fact, let's just call it shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Worthless, cynical, depressing marketing decision. In fact, let's just call it shameful.
    The funny thing is that it will work. They will make tons of money from it and people will love it.
    Forum janitor in training.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    The funny thing is that it will work. They will make tons of money from it and people will love it.

Or so reviews and fan boys will make us believe.

Activated Node
    Just played a round of BF3, and they're pushing the premium service in your face. Every time you get killed by someone who has bought the premium pack you get a screen showing their stats with 'Premium player' on it in a red colour scheme. There's even a 'premium player' dog-tag.

I really don't think I can stomach this any more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

no.

EA you stupid money men, you managed to turn a game I'd happily have gotten for 15 or so in the eventual sales into a turd I never want.

Grats
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    This would be a lot better if it was a little less expensive. Most BF3 players already have Karkand (it came with preorders) so $40 seems like a more reasonable price. That way people that like the game and plan on buying the additional maps for $15 a piece, so $45 total, can save a few dollars by prepurchasing the set. I haven't played BF3 in while but I don't remember waiting in queue to be much of an issue. There were always plenty of servers available, although most have instant vehicle spawn enabled, which is just not cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenger View Post
    Just played a round of BF3, and they're pushing the premium service in your face. Every time you get killed by someone who has bought the premium pack you get a screen showing their stats with 'Premium player' on it in a red colour scheme. There's even a 'premium player' dog-tag.

I really don't think I can stomach this any more.
    As Churchill once said:

"That is fucking dogshit."

Activated Node
    For the US its 50 bucks and honestly, I feel like if your a fan of the series, it's not really a betrayal at all... Its actually kind of a bargain. There are 4 more expansions coming out at 15 dollars a piece so you're saving 10 bucks by buying it now. If Back To Karkand was any indication, these expansion packs are much more than map packs. The assignments gave a focused objective, the weapons were new, different, and interesting, and the maps were big, fully detailed, and destructible. 15 bucks may be a tad steep for some people but you have to admit its a much better value than what MW3 is offering (or most games for that matter. Bar Valve titles and smaller indie devs).

Make fun of me, call me a heretic, or what have you but the fact is that this is a good deal for anyone who was planning on buying the expansions any ways (at least in the US). And If I remember correctly, there was no such backlash when Battlefield 2 released its 3 expansion packs which were much more content anemic.

I'm just waiting for my copy of BF3 to finally arrive, but am considering buying it. Does it include all dlc prior to its release too?

Quote Originally Posted by CrinnyCow View Post
    For the US its 50 bucks and honestly, I feel like if your a fan of the series, it's not really a betrayal at all... Its actually kind of a bargain.
    [..]
    Make fun of me, call me a heretic, or what have you
    Battlefield 2 did not have every core piece of equipment locked off to new players to the point of it being farcical. The expansions did not unlock these things for money, stop drawing false parallels.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Battlefield 2 did not have every core piece of equipment locked off to new players to the point of it being farcical. The expansions did not unlock these things for money, stop drawing false parallels.
    I played quite a bit of Battlefield 2 and IIRC, each class started with one weapon and you could unlock 2 or 3 additional weapons for each class (after all the expansions). And again IIRC, you needed to level up to unlock these weapons which took quite a bit of time.

Battlefield premium is simply a way of buying the expansion packs, it does not unlock equipment for you. and the level 1 equipment is more than enough to get started with. As a matter of fact, my default weapons for each class (minus support) are the ones you start with and I have everything unlocked.

I'm not trying to make you like the game or insult you by any means, I'm just saying that this premium package is nothing to get upset over. I'm actually more curious why everyone is so upset about this when the next four expansion packs were announced months ago. This actually just makes them slightly cheaper. The hostility just does not make sense to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    He is talking about equipment, not neccisarely the guns. I don't lke the fact that the MAV, SOFLAM, Javelin, AT mines, etc. etc. have to be unlocked - even though in some situations they are quite vital and it can be a real pain not to have unlocked them yet - which is not the case with all the guns.

Don't compare either or gun unlocks with crap like extra armour on tanks or access to rockets on jets or magnum ammo.

I'm willing to apologise for mixing up 'boosters' with 'premium'.

So screw bf3 because of boosters then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Make fun of me, call me a heretic, or what have you but the fact is that this is a good deal for anyone who was planning on buying the expansions any ways (at least in the US). And If I remember correctly, there was no such backlash when Battlefield 2 released its 3 expansion packs which were much more content anemic.
    Congrats on falling for the trap. "I was going to buy all the expansions anyway". Unless you are just a super hardcore BF fanboy, you really don't know that. How do you know the expansions will be good? Hell, do you even know what is going to be in them besides the very vague preview we've gotten from DICE? Do you even know if you will still want to be playing BF when the expansions come out?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Congrats on falling for the trap. "I was going to buy all the expansions anyway". Unless you are just a super hardcore BF fanboy, you really don't know that. How do you know the expansions will be good? Hell, do you even know what is going to be in them besides the very vague preview we've gotten from DICE? Do you even know if you will still want to be playing BF when the expansions come out?
    As I've said before I thought Back To Karkand was an awesome expansion and from the looks of it, the upcoming expansion will be very similar. Additionally, I have a group of dedicated friends that like to play in a squad together so if the release of the expansion packs isn't enough to get me playing again then they certainly will be.

And I know your obvious responses but it is now apparent to me that no matter what arguments I make, no matter how much sense it makes for someone like me to cash in on this, you will still regard me as a fanboy, a sheep, and an idiot and you will still rage about how EA is run by the devil. Anyways, carry on. I'm finished here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    As I've said before I thought Back To Karkand was an awesome expansion and from the looks of it, the upcoming expansion will be very similar. Additionally, I have a group of dedicated friends that like to play in a squad together so if the release of the expansion packs isn't enough to get me playing again then they certainly will be.

And I know your obvious responses but it is now apparent to me that no matter what arguments I make, no matter how much sense it makes for someone like me to cash in on this, you will still regard me as a fanboy, a sheep, and an idiot and you will still rage about how EA is run by the devil. Anyways, carry on. I'm finished here.

I just think it's funny that you enjoy giving corporations interest free loans.

I'd be feeling very silly now if I'd bought BF3.