[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 05/06/2012 - Breaking the speed limit

Comrades, last week we broke the big five-oh for playercount. This week we broke 60, hitting a peak of 62 simultaneous players. We’re growing faster than we can come up with new missions, so I encourage you all to try your hand at making a little something with the F2 frame work (I’ll link it in a day or two, when the new version is released).

The number of missions we’re getting done each session is falling because we’re doing bigger missions to accommodate the higher player counts. Still, they're absolutely glorious.

I’d like to stress the importance of keeping banter to chat or (during missions) in-game group VON. This is becoming an increasingly important issue as our numbers skyrocket – it’s imperative that we have a nice, clear briefing and clean comms so that the mission doesn’t get bogged down. We don’t want people sitting on their thumbs, we want them firing wildly into the sky!

As of the next few sessions we’ll be enforcing a new rule with regards to slotting: you MUST have CC (last section of this post) set up if you want to pick an important role such as a leader or commander. Or even an attachment team! I know it’s extra work, but it’s difficult to communicate effectively through these numbers without these tools. For those of you who attend Folk Sunday, there's a similar feature you need to set up in TeamSpeak.

Now, to tonight’s glory:

• Lead Stocks
    • Greenola (Adversarial)
    • River Assault

Lead Stocks was a meatgrinder across hedged fields. Many men lost their lives for the glorious revolution – but we still managed to capture one arms dealer and eliminate the other before he could complete his deals.

Greenola saw BluFor try to destroy caches at night, after inserting by Chinook. It was a slaughter, but against all odds, BluFor won. Their very last man on the ground destroyed the last cache. The very definition of a Phyrric victory.

River Assault was a combined arms river crossing. It should have been set to Hell March – lots of shooting, lots of death, and some unfriendly fire (be careful about that, Gents).

After the session there was at least one new adversarial tested, but as I had to run off to work I leave the description of that to Bodge.

Have some screenshots instead:

After I left, we apparently saw:

• Viva Pinata (Adversarial)
    • Smile for the Camera (Adversarial)
    • Tankicious (Adversarial)

Viva Pinata is a new mission by Bodge. It features exploding goats.

Smile for the Camera is a three-way hostage handover by StrangLove.

Tankicious is team deathmatch in up-armoured (or down-gunned) T34s, by Head.

I'm amazed to see we had more than 40 around for Pinata, with Smile and Tankicious still getting 20-30 each!
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 06-06-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Great evening tonight, the River Assault was a great mission. Lots of shooting and lots of screaming and astutecat got ran over by xkilla25, which was baffeling and ammusing.

video from the goat mission

Activated Node
    Wow, people usually leave after 10:00 but they really stuck around last night.

I had yet another great time with you folks. I somehow, miraculously managed to stay alive in all four of the missions I played, despite getting shot twice in Greenola (one of which was a friendly fire incident and I DEMAND TO KNOW WHO SHOT ME).

However, I have yet another round of newbie questions:

1. Attachment units. What Mumble channel are they supposed to join? Support? I was part of SAM 1 in River Assault and we basically received no orders for the entire game. (Not that we could do anything anyway, seeing as there were no enemy aircraft for us to shoot down). We eventually ended up following Charlie squad and joined their Mumble channel.

2. CC. From reading the Mumble thread I think I understand how it works in co-op, but how does it work in adversarial? Often I've seen everyone just sit in OPFOR/BLUFOR and not divide into subchannels. If this is the case, and you have CC set up to 'shout to parent + subchannels', then surely everyone on the opposing team with CC will be able to hear you. What's the solution here? Always divide into subchannels?

3. If I'm in a non-command role and I have CC set up, will I still hear CC in game? If so, should I disable it?

4. If you're in an attachment unit, should everybody have CC set up or just the leader?

1. When groups are being split up in the briefing phase, you should be told where to put yourself. If this doesn't happen, badger the commander I guess?

2. The latter, probably.

3. If you want. It's a bit of a hassle to alt-tab back out and turn it off, though. Makes me wish for a shortcut key to toggle it, a la Teamspeak.

4. Just the leader I guess?

Harlander's guesses are mostly right, to elaborate:
    1. Depends on how commander wants it. Typical scenarios are a) attached to a squad / fireteam. You should be in the squad/ft channel, b) directly under the commander. You should be in commander's channel. Whenever you're not clear on where you're supposed to be, ask the commander.

2. The reason we don't always split to subchannels in adversarials is that the number of people is sometimes small enough to manage without using CC at all. This may be compounded by team leaders not having CC set up (boo!). You are correct though, CC from main channel would carry to all ArmA channels.

3. You will always hear CC if you have the cc token in Server->Access Tokens. We don't require non-leaders to disable CC, but it is still probably a good idea to do so, in order to hear your FTL clearly.

4. Only leader needs to have CC.

As a general note, it would be appreciated if absolutely everyone would have the CC shortcut keys set up, so they can easily take over team lead if needed. It's a war out there, people tend to die.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Thanks for the answers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by harakka View Post
    As a general note, it would be appreciated if absolutely everyone would have the CC shortcut keys set up, so they can easily take over team lead if needed. It's a war out there, people tend to die.
    I am in agreement because I found myself in that very situation last night. I was in Echo squad for Lead Stocks, and halfway through the mission our FTL got killed. The game promoted me to FTL and I didn't realise it for a full 15 minutes. Luckily one of the other guys in our squad had CC set up so he took command.

I'll have CC set up at the next session for sure.

Activated Node
    I and Slerbal (I think it was Slerbal) had CC set up but he'd got assigned command by the game earlier. Then he went down and got revived again so I assumed he was still command.

Also, STHud is invaluable for keeping a fireteam together and maintaining formations, if anybody doesn't already have it I highly recommend downloading and installing it.

Would it be too much lag to have a non-adversarial tank battle? In my head I'm imagining a coop with all sorts of armoured vehicles, including AA vehicles and helicopters.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    I and Slerbal (I think it was Slerbal) had CC set up but he'd got assigned command by the game earlier. Then he went down and got revived again so I assumed he was still command.

Also, STHud is invaluable for keeping a fireteam together and maintaining formations, if anybody doesn't already have it I highly recommend downloading and installing it.
    It is true - I had CC set up. STHUD is a great mod to run - though you will need CBA as well. I enjoyed Tuesday's session - I've been playing ARMA2 since release and still love it to bits. It is great to see DayZ bringing in more folks for ARPS.

I spent the whole of Greenola as Deputy Commander for OPFOR hiding at the top of some stairs. I heard the chinooks, heard the fighting, got the comms chatter and never saw a single enemy. And yet... it was awesome! :)

Thanks for a great evening lads!

Slerbal

It was a rather great evening. I missed the first two missions, but still had a lot of fun.

River assault - managed to stay alive during the whole mission, but was mostly useless. Shot some RPGs on buildings because I had a lot of ammo. Also saw a rabbit.
    Viva Pinata - I wasn't sure that it really happened, but apparently it did, and, as the videos show, it was magical.
    Smile for the camera - I shot a lot of things from a helicopter and felt manly.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    Would it be too much lag to have a non-adversarial tank battle? In my head I'm imagining a coop with all sorts of armoured vehicles, including AA vehicles and helicopters.
    I don't see lag being an issue. The issue is that someone needs to make the mission and make it interesting for all involved. Get on it, mythical someone! (Or don't quite yet, there's a new F2 build comin')
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Quote Originally Posted by harakka View Post
    I don't see lag being an issue. The issue is that someone needs to make the mission and make it interesting for all involved. Get on it, mythical someone! (Or don't quite yet, there's a new F2 build comin')
    I'd say get on it now, because it's been released!