Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    For us they are interchangeable. I dunno about real soldiers. After you die the group channel is for other dead people, when you're alive it's just your FT. Though Arma has positional audio for in-game VON, so you'll hear other nearby people talking but won't have a name pop up unless its in your channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    For us they are interchangeable.
    This. In some missions, however, you may see 'alpha squad lead' and fireteams 'alpha 1', 'alpha 2', and so on. In those cases, we keep the term 'squad' to refer to that larger group of fireteams, as in many real armed forces.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Activated Node
    Vanguard (Coop)
    FTL MAT. After a blown up helicopter and subsequent mission restart we set off... doing nothing. Sam (my squaddie and carrier of the RPG warheads) and I didn't do much of anything for a bit. We were then reinforced by two JIPs, Phalanx and Faenix. After a bit of standing around we get orders to move up to Alpha, Bravo and Charlie's position where more nothing was happening. Then all of a sudden, boom noise in-game and quiet on Mumble. Uh-oh. Turns out the BMP-2 got blown up along with half our forces (E-D + support folks). The new commander orders a glorious charge towards a hilltop full of enemies. We move through a village and take up position on a hill overlooking the squads and the next objective over. To our left (in the north) we spot a tiny village with a squad of baddies and a baddie T-34. My squaddies open fire on the infantry and I take out the T-34 at 500 meters with the first shot. All and all a brilliant success... until I realise we've almost gone off map. The nearest objective, where our teammates are dying, is 1km south of our position. The mission ends before we get a chance to link up.

Warlords (Adv)
    ​Commander (Warlord 1), insurgents. I volunteered to command for only the third time on my second ever ARPS night, and in a weird mission to boot. We were to hold in Nagara till we make contact with BLUFOR (ie. they start shooting at us), then we can break out. The objective was to get Warlord 1 and/or 2 to one or both of two designated safe zones. The plan was to take myself in one of two SUVs and go north along the forests and cliffs to the northern safe zone, using the other SUV as bait. Warlord 2 (Unaco) was to head west on foot through a large valley, slowly but surely making his way to the southwestern safe zone.

My plan did not survive contact with the enemy as BLUFOR started pouring down fire from the north, where I had planned to go. The fake SUV drove out of our Warlord compound first and got lit up not five meters outside. The real SUV with me in it, driven by my trusty bodyguard (whose name escapes me...) manages to slip out of Nagara to the south. 500 meters out on the main road we get ambushed by BLUFOR infantry who shoot us to bits. Unaco on the other hand manages to sneak through the valley and is almost at the safe zone when the mission is ended and Insurgents declared the victors! Not to toot my own horn, but that's 3 missions commanded with 3 victories. I assign all of the credit to my excellent underlings, ehr, teammates!

Cacheola (Adv)
    FTL A1 on BLUFOR. This was a night mission, which was excellent fun, and the objectives were similar to Project Reality's insurgency game mode - find caches in Zagarabad and destroy them. Our commander sends us in a safe but roundabout way and we enter the city from the NW. Commander asks for a fireteam to take up overwatch position to the west/southwest, and I volunteer. Humvee gunner and the MG gunner get into contact almost immediately. We then route southeast and clear out the "rear" of the cache locations, while our team is busy attacking from the NW. I think my squaddies managed to score ten or so kills combined. Our team manages to wipe out the entire enemy force and the mission is a victory.

Feruzablues (Coop)
    FTL LADA (Jackal). Land in Anar, take out enemies in Feruz Abad and rescue hostages in the nearby mine. The powers that be decided that I'd had too much success in one sitting and so the AI sneaked up on us in a BTR-40 as we were forming up in the staging area. I lose one man in my Jackal fireteam and the brit engineer loses another man. The Jackal is barely working, hull is dark orange, and so it could not be repaired. We charge over the hill from Anar into Feruz and lose a lot of people almost straight away. Moving down the hill I manage to get shot in the leg. I'm shouting for the only medic left alive to come save me, but by the time he's halfway there someone murdered me :(

Great fun was had! I will try to attend the Folk session on Sundays too.
    Last edited by Borklund; 30-05-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Network Hub
    Hello this is your friendly neighbourhood Bodge, thanks to all for turning up; A few things the extra numbers has made evident.

Please let Admin do admin things. If people are asking for help let the host/admin respond, chances are they know the answer and they might be planning some thing that makes it different from the norm.

In case any of the new guys are not sure who that is -

YOUR ADMINS ARE: NULLKIGAN, BODGE, WASHINGTON, WOLFENSWAN, HARAKKA, SVDVORAK.

Fer, Tigershark and Headspace are not necessarily ARPS admins but they are FOLK admin so should be afforded a similar level of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh
    Also, just so I'm not getting confused, are 'squad' and 'fireteam' interchangeable terms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    For us they are interchangeable.
    Last night was a case of this not being so, we will encounter this situation weekly with these playercounts. I'll try to straighten this out a bit for future reference.

Fireteam is a group of 4-5 people led by the fireteam leader (FTL). When you use the Group VON / text chat channel, this the level you're talking on. For simplicity's sake you can consider the attachments (special weapons / vehicle teams like MMG, MAT and IFV) fireteams as well.

Squad is composed of two or more fireteams acting together under a single squad leader. Typically the "highest" fireteam's leader is responsible for leadership. So if Alpha, Bravo and Charlie form a squad, Alpha FTL is in charge. Some people also like to call squads sections.

Calling a fireteam squad can be forgiven to an extent, as playing ARMA2 isn't our day job. It would be appreciated though if people tried to shift their use of the term into the right direction, especially since with these numbers we will most likely be using the commander->squad->fireteam organization a lot more than we have in the past.
    With 20 people it was manageable to have 3 fireteams and 1 attachment led by the commander, but that's not feasible with 50 players.

This is the short version. You still probably have some mysterious words floating in your head, like attachment or element. I would highly recommend you read this excellent description of the Folk platoon, by Fer, to get to know these words and get a good idea of how we try to organize ourselves when playing. We use pretty much the same organization in normal ARPS sessions as we do in the Folk Sunday sessions, because it's been found to be a good way of getting things done.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

This session was dying and screwup session for me. :D

• Vanguard (Coop)

I an AT guy in a fireteam. The fireteam itself was pretty large, we had 6 or 7 people in it, as we had JIPs. After the first unsuccessful "disembark" (lol exploding choppers), we had to flank a position where there are hostiles. A comrade right next to me, killa, died from an RPG or SPG that flew right pass me. We all took cover and I started to look around. Then I spotted an insurgent aiming at me, I saw the flash but it was already too late.

• Warlords (Adv)

I was on the Indie team, bravo squad (I think). Basically we were holed up in the village, while there was heavy fighting to the north and south bunkers (as seen in the video above). Then we moved up to support the south, then we were fired upon from the north hills. We returned fire and sprinted back to the village. The 'mericans arrived to the village, our FTL was killed. From a window I saw 2 US soldiers sneaking in the village, they were in the open, so they were easy kills. I ran to the balcony and opened fire, one was killed immediately while the other ran for cover, my spraying AK missing him, he then started firing in my direction and I hid, while the other guys in the fireteam shoot him. He was killed later on, after we suffered another casualty. But the mission was successful and we prevailed.

• Cacheola (Adv)

We're halfway to our destination when the commander pipes up in Mumble that we're going the wrong way! our FTL must have misheard the orders or something.
    Yep that's me, Charlie FTL. We were ordered to defend the cache, so we were sitting there for a while and nothing happened. Then Alpha came under fire, command ordered some fireteam to reposition to support alpha, and I misheard it as Charlie, so sorry about getting you all killed, hehe :P

• Feruzablues (Coop)

I was LADA (Jackal) driver. We drove to the LZ, when I hear on the comms that we left someone behind. No problem, The other guys disembark, and I'm left with my gunner to pick up the abandoned comrade. We pick him up, drive back to the LZ. Then from nowhere a BTR-40 appeared right ahead. The gunner opened fire, and seconds later we were both killed, atleast the jackal survived. Fast mission for us :D
    Last edited by Halop; 30-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Activated Node
    The way Cacheola played out was eerily similar to several episodes of Generation Kill...

Feruzablues

DC: Draakon
    |- Medic: Fer

I was busy from the moment we hit the LZ, running south to patch up a member of Delta who had managed to pick up an injury during the landings. Thereafter, I was ordered to tag along with C/D on the left flank of our advance, climbing with them and the rest of the platoon's dismounts to the ridge overlooking Feruzabad from the south-east.

The climb itself was not uncontested, though as medic I hung some 50m behind C/D, so the first enemies I encountered were dead. Spotting an RPG and rockets that had been overlooked by C/D, I harvested what I could and resolved to hand over these supplies to Charlie. I also too this opportunity to discard the revolting plastic gun I'd been issued, and pick up a trusty AKS-47 (as endorsed by the Party).

However, when I arrived at the summit the level of chatter on CC was apparently so great that I couldn't get Charlie FTL's attention. Moreover, the whole of C/D was fixing to open fire on enemy positions to our west, including a truck-mounted ZSU. So I hung back and attempted to provide some security to the rear.

Note: In both our sessions, we need to get better about providing our own security. Too often, we assume the only enemies are to out front, leaving us vulnerable. We might get away with it in most (but by no means all) coop missions, but it's a habit that can bite hard in adversarial missions (see the Folk/ARPS/CiA vs. LDDK experience in Greenola).

Whilst I was looking back towards the route we'd taken to the summit, I spotted a lone figure about 100m distant. Knowing that all Folk/ARPS comrade mission maker engineers are sadists, I was ready to call out that we were being bounced from the rear. Thankfully, it was only comrade commander StrangLove. I walked down to meet him and make the suggestion that, as CO, he should not be without some personal security - even if it was just a case of him being near one of the fighting elements. This point was to be illustrated - brutally - later in the mission.

Back at the summit, the firing had started. Almost at once, C/D was assaulting across the face of the hill, heading for the little military outpost to our west where the truck-mounted ZSU was positioned. Charlie's FTL had been wounded, so I found myself sprinting across to the compound in order to administer aid. This was the start of a very busy period for me.

The assault now turned north, all elements moving down the slope towards the town. C/D was headed for the main military base, and it wasn't long before I was being called down to the fence line to attend to someone in Delta. As I ran down the hill, my element leader, comrade Draakon, informed me that he'd just assumed command of the platoon. Comrade StrangLove was dead.

As I was patching the guy in Delta, I was called to Alpha's position. This required me to traverse along the platoon's front line, which by this point snaked along the southern edge of the town. I knew this would be risky - friendlie might open up on me in the confusion, and there was always the danger of enemies. Asking comrade Draakon to warn Alpha that I was approaching from their left addressed the first risk, but for the second there was only my AKS.

A man appeared ahead of me, carrying an AK and moving up the slope towards Alpha. We spotted each other at the same time, but I was first to fire, my AKS-47 on full automatic.

As I patched the man in Alpha, I warned them about possible contacts to their immediate south. Comrade Draakon was already in my ear, requiring me to move on to Fox and Echo fireteams. Again, I traversed the platoon's frontline, passing the current CO, comrade Draakon, and the body of our former CO, comrade StrangLove, as I moved to where Fox had entered the town. The two surviving members of Fox didn't appear to be waiting for me, so I had to do some shouting.

"Fox. Fox. FOX! Where are your wounded?"
    "Er ... dead, I think. They're not responding."

In fact, one of the survivors was wounded, so we took cover in a house whilst I patched him up. Then I was off again, back to the military base in search of Echo (yet another order having come in from comrade Draakon).

At the base the fighting had temporarily died down and elements were all jumbled up at the junction to its north. I found comrade Egg at the same time as the other medic, Feanix, but I'm not certain he got double the healing effect! Then I dropped back to the base entrance and waited for the platoon to reform its lines for the assault on the mine.

Before we could move off, the enemy contacted us from the rear and west, causing a brief exchange of fire. Once the threat was dealt with, the platoon divided and set off north, one half taking the direct route up a spur to the mine, the other on the adjacent spur (from where they could provide covering fire for the assault).

Initially, I was with C/D on the western spur, but comrade Draakon ordered me to cross the little valley and join A/E in the assaulting force. However, once I got there it was apparent that they already had medical support from Feanix, so I re-crossed and fell in with C/D once again.

As the assault began, C/D was ordered to 'charge' (which was a bit confusing, as I think they had been positioned as a base-of-fire element), but everyone cheerfully opened up and tracers streamed out across the valley towards the mine compound and groups of enemy infantry on the surrounding hillside).

Meanwhile, the enemy was sending its own projectiles across the valley: we spotted rockets being launched from positions to our north. Moving forward, I found myself with comrade IceRaiser, an AR, helping to guide the fire from his SAW as best I could without binoculars. I suggested to C/D that having an FTL here (with his binoculars) would be a very good idea.

Nobody from C/D arrived, but comrade commander Draakon did, and somehow comrade IceRaiser and I fell in with him as he moved north-east, down the slope, in the direction of then mine. Suddenly, we were contacted at close range by a small handful of enemy fighters in a wooded area immediately downslope of us. The CO was wounded, as was comrade IceRaiser - but both were still firing, two SAWs eventually cutting down the enemy combatants [Do not use SAW and 'cut down' in the same sentence again, please - Ed.]. I myself was still up, and managed to kill one fighter with another burst from my trusty AKS-47. At the same time I was frantically calling for C/D to provide immediate support on my marker, as the CO was in danger!

Comrade Mike, now in charge of C/D, arrived with his remaining men and finished clearing the woods whilst I patched up comrade commander Draakon and comrade IceRaiser. Falling in with C/D for the last time, I helped as they engaged some further contacts up the slope to our south-west, then moved on to the road leading to the mine entrance.

As I ran up the road (for some reason lagging a short distance behind C/D), I heard reports of a technical on the ridge above us. I tucked in closer to the hillside, hoping it would provide cover. That was fine, but when I reached the entrance to the mine compound everything went to hell.

Just in front of me men were being shot. I popped smoke and began applying first aid, hoping the guardhouse would provide sufficient cover. It didn't.

I was wounded and bleeding out, and all around me others were in a similar position. I crawled around to another side of the guardhouse and noticed at least one person who was still up and giving first aid. Over VON I asked him to patch me next, because as a medic I could help the others far faster. The mission ended as I was being patched up.

++

Thank you to the ARPS hosts for an excellent session. It was great to see so many relatively new faces; I hope some of you will have the time to join us for the Folk session on Sunday.

[AAR] Folk [Sun] 03 June 2012

Cross-posting from the official AAR thread in the Folk forum (please please cross-post):

Quote Originally Posted by fer
    Missions:
    • Arrival
    • Black Folk Down
    • Proposition
    • Finale

With a playercount north of 40 (peak of 44), and a session length just shy of 4 hours, tonight was epic. Thank you to everyone who came along, because it's only through your participation that we have the option of playing such large-scale coops. Thank you in particular to comrades Null and Black Mamba for providing new mission content for us all to enjoy, and to all the comrades who stepped up and took leadership roles (whether at CO or element level). Lots that I want to write about, but also very keen to read your AARs / see images and videos.

:hist101:

Obscure Node
    <<<Cross post from Folk forums>>>

Before I start the report, I have to say sorting out the CC on teamspeak (with Draakon's help. Thanks!) and getting STHud working on ARMA 2:OA made a shit ton of difference and increased the enjoyment. Would recommend it.

Arrival

Echo Fire Team Leader - We have to defend the airfield with all our might. Echo and Foxtrot were shooting the enemies in the east. So far, so good... then a t-55 tank popped up. Ordered my AT unit to fire and the tank got hit. Better yet, the tank can be hijacked and driven!

After ordering the engineers to our location to fix the tank (cheers guys!), I ordered my men to command it. Then we moved east shooting enemies, clearing the villages, joint up with Foxtrot, clearing even more villages. t-55 can only have 3 men, foxtrot offer me a space on the humvee, drove around taking commands and clearing villages. Overall, it was rather enjoyable and my men were top notch!

Black Folk Down

Engineer Leader - What can I say, this mission was one hell of a clusterfuck. It was fun being the engineers since our task was to fix up any helicopters (or enemy vehicles) that were broken (and somehow providing first aid to fallen men). thirdjke was my comrade and we drove around fixing helicopters, what could be more better? I got one request for this mission: Ambulance. Very fun mission despite it being chaotic at the time.

Proposition

Echo Fire Team Leader - We all formed up on the road as the commander says. Split up into different sides, we took DC's side. Our task was to shoot down enemies on the hills. Simple enough.

I ordered my men hopping rocks to rocks, there was a small friendly fire incident from another group but I did shout down the CC "WE ARE FRIENDLIES NEAR ROCK, HOLD FUCKING FIRE". That somehow worked and they stopped firing.

We proceeded to move around carefully, hopping between rocks, shooting enemies. Got into position, waited for the other side to enter the mosque. Then proceeded ourselves. Managed to grab myself a golden gun, proceeded to the roof of the mosque with 5 enemies hidden. I managed to kill them all with the gun, but not quick enough as my comrade Black Mamba was down.

I was thinking the roof of the mosque would be a great idea for my AT unit thirdjke to fire his rocket, but with so many trees blocking the view of the tanks, I've decided to get down on the ground floor and... meet the tank face to face behind another scarred and broken tank.

AT fired his rocket. It connected... but the tank was alive. I chucked the grenade and hit my comrade. Sorry about that. Heard the DC fire everything at the tank, tank blew up. Ordered the medic to come down and heal us.

I was shocked. I thought for a moment that my golden gun shot the tank and blew it up. Turns out it was a friendly KORD that did the trick. Then I took a bullet in the skull, dead. Unaco did his treatment to the comrade and then proceeded to take the golden gun and using it to shoot upon enemies. VERY long mission but enjoyable with the right commander.

Finale

Delta Fire Team Leader - DEATH SQUAD. All we had to do was cross the river and wait until we spot the tank. AT unit fired his RPG with only 2 rockets and missed both. I decided to charge, got shot and said "This was a bad idea." I then died. Still brutal as ever.

Overall, another great session was had, improved by the fact my communication skills was lot more better and I was very effective as a leader!

Cross-posting:

Quote Originally Posted by fer
    Part 1 (of 2, possibly 3):

Arrival

DC: Fer
    |- Medic: Unaco

From the moment we began we were under fire, mostly heavy calibre stuff streaming across the valley from the north and pinging the sides of the C-130s. Hurrah! I knew all that stuff about EasyJet landing at faraway / inconvenient airports was an exaggeration!

:v:

As per my orders from comrade commander Tigershark, I immediately took the nearest HMMWV SOV and drove it up to a position between the hangars. C/D/HMG joined me, and I took command of this ad-hoc squad.

To begin with, our focus was on targets to our north - both near and far. Charlie was stacked up on some huts and concrete perimeter walls, focusing primarily on the north. HMG had set up against the hangar wall and was sending its own heavy calibre rounds back across the valley, engaging the same distant targets as Charlie. Delta, meanwhile, was concentrating more on the west and south/west.

Over time, Delta moved further westward, taking up positions near some open-sided structures and engaging targets that had spilled onto the runway's western tip (or threatened to, streaming down the hillside to our south-west). HMG joined Delta, and to compensate for the loss of north-bound fire I asked Charlie to man the AGL on the HMMWV. Soon, the reassuring noise of the vehicle's main weapon was sending little packets of (exploding) joy towards enemy troops to our north. And it was all per the ROE because it was open terrain.

Gradually, our focus shifted counter-clockwise. Delta/HMG began to run dry on targets south-west, but Charlie was engaging enemy foot-mobiles that had almost penetrated the airstrip fences to the north-west. For an awful moment it seemed as if we had lost a man in Charlie, but then one of his team-mates managed to get to him, and combined with comrade medic Unaco to save his life. When Charlie was good to go again, they ran (and rolled) westward down the airstrip wall to a watch-tower where Delta and HMG had re-position moments before.

Our ad hoc squad now faced the challenge of clearing the village immediately west of the airstrip, but as we were about to set off comrade medic Unaco spotted fresh contacts to our south at the foot of the hill. It didn't take us long to deal with them, but it served as a fresh reminder of why neglecting your six can be costly.

Leaving HMG to cover the south-west and west (effectively the end of the airstrip and hillside), C/D set off to clear the village. Charlie's gun truck was to provide overwatch, whilst its dismounts cleared the compounds on our (south) side of the road. Delta would begin on the eastern-edge of the village, and sweep the compounds on the northern side of the road. Overall, C/D would be moving counter-clockwise, methodically sweeping the village until reaching its southern edge.

In practice, it wasn't completely smooth-sailing, but both fireteams did well to adapt their parts of the plan. Charlie had to shift its gun-truck to get better visibility, and Delta had to deal with unexpected contacts from the north (again, spotted by the eagle-eyed comrade medic Unaco). Though some bandage work was required for a member of Charlie, C/D cleared the village without loss (HMG maintaining its watch to the south-west throughout).

Just before we cleared the village, a SAM had streaked up from Sultansafe (to our north-west), and we had watched in horror as comrade Ansob's Apache slowly - but not slowly enough - spiralled to the ground and exploded just west of our objective.

:colbert:

No really. We did watch in horror.

:colbert:

There was another player in that bird!

:v:

Anyway, it was by the light of [s]Ansob's burning carcass[/s] the still-burning Apache that C/D/HMG reformed at the southern edge of the village and began to move off towards its next objective: the chemical plant south, down the road. For this I asked Delta and HMG to mount the ridge running north/south towards the target area, whilst Charlie and its gun truck bounded between compounds that lay in the same direction.

As I was on the ridge with Delta/HMG, I noticed a patrol out in the distance to our north-west, in the vicinity of Sultansafe. Recalling HMG, I had them engage (and mostly destroy) this enemy element, before returning to Charlie and Delta. Meanwhile, I was informed by command that our map-click mortar was about to arrange for 'a terrible chemical accident' to occur at the plant.

Charlie dealt with a technical at the junction near the chemical plant, and with its original gun-truck and Delta in over-watch, moved in to confirm the compound was clear. As we were converting Charlie into a cavalry unit (adding the liberated enemy technical) and Delta salvaged a DShKM, the mission was called as a success.

Excellent job, everyone, and expecially to comrade commander Tigershark.

:hist101:

Also on the Folk Board:

Second Folk session played, first AAR.

Arrival

I was the LMG for x25Killa's Echo squad. Got a few kills while tactically being covered (aka hiding) by a building on the eastern side of the airfield. Great communication between the members of our squad. Lordhughes (i think) was awesome and gave me extra mags when needed. Missed the T-55 being killed but was lucky enough after our engies got it running again (although they did nothing to alter the char-broiled paint job) to play gunner with Capernations (i think) driving. Got a few MG kills but I really wanted to level something with the HE rounds. Spent most of the rest of the mission being chauffeured by Cap mostly to already emptied villages on our T-55 Freedom Tour 2012.

Black Folk Down

I don't wish to remember the events of this mission for fear of flashbacks of dying before I could exit our bird and then after watching sufficient causalities seeing the bird take off and staring at my bullet-ridden and crushed corpse below it.

Proposition

Got to be the LMG for Dogface's Bravo squad. Things were going smoothly until....A Group of Wild Bushes Shooting 7.62 Rounds Appeared! After our encounter with those bushes Bravo was just Phalanx and myself. I received a battlefield promotion by default of being able to access the command channel. I tried to act like I knew what I was doing and hoped my American false bravado served me well. Phalanx and I became a quasi scout team bounding from rock to rock and mud hut to mud hut. We had the honor of being the first squad into the mosque and also the honor of failing to properly clear the mosque, sorry people who died on the walls. Phalanx and I parked ourselves on the western entrance and hid from the angry angry T-somethings blasting our Dome of the Rock from the east. After the tank anger subsided the remaining half squads reformed like Voltron into a super Alpha squad thankfully not led by me and we finished off the remaining objectives. Easily my favorite mission of the bunch.

Finale

Can't remember my squad or FTL, my memories are limited to faint odor of olives as I lay dying in an orchard as a flock of angry T-somethings rumble past my body towards bigger and better things.

Again thanks to all for involved in setting up and running these bad boys, Playing organized multiplayer ARMA has been one of the better gaming experiences I had in a long time. Can't wait for next Sunday.

Network Hub
    • Arrival
    • Black Folk Down
    • Proposition

Arrival
    Fox Team Leader
    We lobbed over to our fine designated point and as i looked around the corner i saw a shitload of enemies on the hill to the east so ordered the oh so obliged comrade icerasier to shower them with his LMG while i sneakily snuck around the back and commandeered the MTR teams Humvee and proceeded to put death on everything with the grenade launcher then we mostly just crusied around and killed some last defenders in sultansafe before ending the mission

Blackfolk Down

Erm, i was AH-2 i flew around killed some taki M2 jeep that got too close. then did a epic attack run in the end before we called it.

Proposition

I was MTR-2 sat around on road for the first 10 minutes or so while the inf pushed forward then i went on Fox(?) right flank and killed a bunch of enemy flankers then rejoined for the main attack and our gunner nicely took care of the most defenders on the walls, then we ran out of ammo and went back to get a new humvee

[AAR] Tactical Tuesday 05/06/2012 - Breaking the speed limit

Comrades, last week we broke the big five-oh for playercount. This week we broke 60, hitting a peak of 62 simultaneous players. We’re growing faster than we can come up with new missions, so I encourage you all to try your hand at making a little something with the F2 frame work (I’ll link it in a day or two, when the new version is released).

The number of missions we’re getting done each session is falling because we’re doing bigger missions to accommodate the higher player counts. Still, they're absolutely glorious.

I’d like to stress the importance of keeping banter to chat or (during missions) in-game group VON. This is becoming an increasingly important issue as our numbers skyrocket – it’s imperative that we have a nice, clear briefing and clean comms so that the mission doesn’t get bogged down. We don’t want people sitting on their thumbs, we want them firing wildly into the sky!

As of the next few sessions we’ll be enforcing a new rule with regards to slotting: you MUST have CC (last section of this post) set up if you want to pick an important role such as a leader or commander. Or even an attachment team! I know it’s extra work, but it’s difficult to communicate effectively through these numbers without these tools. For those of you who attend Folk Sunday, there's a similar feature you need to set up in TeamSpeak.

Now, to tonight’s glory:

• Lead Stocks
    • Greenola (Adversarial)
    • River Assault

Lead Stocks was a meatgrinder across hedged fields. Many men lost their lives for the glorious revolution – but we still managed to capture one arms dealer and eliminate the other before he could complete his deals.

Greenola saw BluFor try to destroy caches at night, after inserting by Chinook. It was a slaughter, but against all odds, BluFor won. Their very last man on the ground destroyed the last cache. The very definition of a Phyrric victory.

River Assault was a combined arms river crossing. It should have been set to Hell March – lots of shooting, lots of death, and some unfriendly fire (be careful about that, Gents).

After the session there was at least one new adversarial tested, but as I had to run off to work I leave the description of that to Bodge.

Have some screenshots instead:

After I left, we apparently saw:

• Viva Pinata (Adversarial)
    • Smile for the Camera (Adversarial)
    • Tankicious (Adversarial)

Viva Pinata is a new mission by Bodge. It features exploding goats.

Smile for the Camera is a three-way hostage handover by StrangLove.

Tankicious is team deathmatch in up-armoured (or down-gunned) T34s, by Head.

I'm amazed to see we had more than 40 around for Pinata, with Smile and Tankicious still getting 20-30 each!
    Last edited by Nullkigan; 06-06-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Great evening tonight, the River Assault was a great mission. Lots of shooting and lots of screaming and astutecat got ran over by xkilla25, which was baffeling and ammusing.

video from the goat mission

Activated Node
    Wow, people usually leave after 10:00 but they really stuck around last night.

I had yet another great time with you folks. I somehow, miraculously managed to stay alive in all four of the missions I played, despite getting shot twice in Greenola (one of which was a friendly fire incident and I DEMAND TO KNOW WHO SHOT ME).

However, I have yet another round of newbie questions:

1. Attachment units. What Mumble channel are they supposed to join? Support? I was part of SAM 1 in River Assault and we basically received no orders for the entire game. (Not that we could do anything anyway, seeing as there were no enemy aircraft for us to shoot down). We eventually ended up following Charlie squad and joined their Mumble channel.

2. CC. From reading the Mumble thread I think I understand how it works in co-op, but how does it work in adversarial? Often I've seen everyone just sit in OPFOR/BLUFOR and not divide into subchannels. If this is the case, and you have CC set up to 'shout to parent + subchannels', then surely everyone on the opposing team with CC will be able to hear you. What's the solution here? Always divide into subchannels?

3. If I'm in a non-command role and I have CC set up, will I still hear CC in game? If so, should I disable it?

4. If you're in an attachment unit, should everybody have CC set up or just the leader?

1. When groups are being split up in the briefing phase, you should be told where to put yourself. If this doesn't happen, badger the commander I guess?

2. The latter, probably.

3. If you want. It's a bit of a hassle to alt-tab back out and turn it off, though. Makes me wish for a shortcut key to toggle it, a la Teamspeak.

4. Just the leader I guess?

Harlander's guesses are mostly right, to elaborate:
    1. Depends on how commander wants it. Typical scenarios are a) attached to a squad / fireteam. You should be in the squad/ft channel, b) directly under the commander. You should be in commander's channel. Whenever you're not clear on where you're supposed to be, ask the commander.

2. The reason we don't always split to subchannels in adversarials is that the number of people is sometimes small enough to manage without using CC at all. This may be compounded by team leaders not having CC set up (boo!). You are correct though, CC from main channel would carry to all ArmA channels.

3. You will always hear CC if you have the cc token in Server->Access Tokens. We don't require non-leaders to disable CC, but it is still probably a good idea to do so, in order to hear your FTL clearly.

4. Only leader needs to have CC.

As a general note, it would be appreciated if absolutely everyone would have the CC shortcut keys set up, so they can easily take over team lead if needed. It's a war out there, people tend to die.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn