Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    They're not promoting it. They're reporting on it. Again reporting on... oh I don't know, Moon Nazis (since that's topical) doesn't mean that the publication endorses Moon Nazis.
    Sympathiser.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    You've bought the game. The developers want you to spend more money on the game that you've already bought.
    Which off course completely ignores the fact that a lot of DLC is developed after a game is released because people want to play more of that game (OLD WORLD BLUES) - it seems rather silly to do that gratis, and it has been a practice that has been around for over 20 years.

Also, there's a difference between promoting and reporting - again. What you are saying is equivelant of saying that the BBC is promoting the taliban by saying that they have killed some french soldiers - Not reporting it, however, would be more akin to censorship.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heister View Post
    Ok. I'll try and explain this in the nicest way possible so that the journalists(?) with a hit count meter understand.

DLC is dlc.
    Wrong.

There's good DLC and bad DLC, in the same way there are good expansion packs and bad expansion packs, good games and bad games. Personally I'm not a fan of the whole "let's judge it on when it was made/released rather than how good it is and what it costs" approach but to judge it all as worthless is just doing that exact same thing on a higher level.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    There's good DLC and bad DLC, in the same way there are good expansion packs and bad expansion packs, good games and bad games. Personally I'm not a fan of the whole "let's judge it on when it was made/released rather than how good it is and what it costs" approach but to judge it all as worthless is just doing that exact same thing on a higher level.
    Judge things on their merit?

What utter nonsense.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have now decided that I like DLC, but only on Gamersgate because I always have blue coins that I can never spend. So basically I like free DLC. Who would have guessed?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sympathiser.
    Well, I do like their politics on lunar exploration...

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    What utter nonsense.
    Of course! We should just label everything crap because unless it's an obscure 8-bit art platformer it's all been done before.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post

What utter nonsense.
    Can you imagine how much shorter threads around here would be if arguments were won on the merit of a position rather than sheer endurance?
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of navet. It's navet turned inside-out. Navet wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Of course! We should just label everything crap because unless it's an obscure 8-bit art platformer it's all been done before.
    I was just at a film festival afterparty with DJ'd music that sounded like a dance remix of Super Mario. We've certainly come full circle.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    Out of all the many and numerous opinions put forward by this website, why have you got your knickers in a twist about this one, Rii? I'm genuinely puzzled. This can't be the first one you disagreed with or thought was badly written?
    My reaction to this story is unusual but not unprecedented. I have previously reacted in a similar manner to a string of stories run ... oh, probably a couple years back, on World of Warcraft. The common factors between the two sets of stories and prime reasons I found them objectionable are --

Condescension/Superiority
    Stirring the prejudices of the Mob

To which are added, in this case, hypocrisy ("eww, those dirty AAA console-tard games ... now stay with us for our stories on Watch Dogs and Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider and and and), selective use of evidence, and the lack of any meaningful (i.e. non-obvious) point. The summation of which is that the story has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

If the story were typical of RPS' output* then I wouldn't be here, but as a one-off it's not a big deal and I certainly don't hold any grudge against Mr. Walker. I offered my opinion in the comments for the story in question and that was that so far as I was concerned. I subsequently clarified my assessment when someone else created a thread about the article, and I brought up The Verge piece simply because I stumbled across it and thought "hey, this article seems very familiar ... only it isn't multifariously objectionable like that other one." I can see where the impression that I've been seething about this for the past week comes from, but it isn't the case.

* It seems to have vanished now, but back in RPS' youth there was a bit on the 'About Us' page about RPS being about celebrating the oft-neglected field of PC gaming, and was explicitly not a rejection of the value of console games or endorsement of PC master race discourse, etc. And this was a very pleasing statement, with such adolescent sectarianism being one of the most objectionable features of most gaming discourse. And in practice RPS has generally stuck to that line despite some rather objectionable industry practices that would naturally tempt one to declare a pox on all console houses, and in opposition to the fact that a significant proportion of RPS' audience is actually pretty comfortable believing itself fundamentally superior to those dirty console masses for whatever reason. Which is why it's disappointing when RPS slips to promoting those ugly sentiments amongst its audience by, for instance, basically railing against console platform holders and AAA publishers for having the temerity to hold press conferences.

Also, I don't get the snark. Has John Walker personally insulted you or something? Or is that just the default tone for when you interact with people?
    I tend to return condescension for condescension and to assume the burdens of such directed at others, absent or not, whom I feel have been wronged. In some respects that's a character flaw that I need to work on (i.e. returning an eye for an eye runs the risk of compromising my own integrity) and in others I'm pretty happy with it.
    Last edited by Rii; 10-06-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Dispenser of Justice, Vanquisher of Evil, and Hero to the Downtrodden.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Answerer of questions.

Moon Nazis
    umudazumo_v04_c27.mudazumo_v04_c27_104.neuquant.jpg

This reminds me; I need to finish reading the legend of Koizumi just to see the pope face off with Space Hitler.
    Sorry for offtopic, but it is a Heister thread about DLC

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post

Sorry for offtopic, but it is a Heister thread about DLC
    That's commenting on an RPS article. Hey, we can't all be part of the hivemind. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Dispenser of Justice, Vanquisher of Evil, and Hero to the Downtrodden.
    Great game. Although it's got better characters than gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    To be fair, it's basically a point and click adventure without the pointing and clicking, so it immediately has better gameplay than others in its genre. Unfortunately, that means it's commonly mistaken for an ARPG, of which it's not a great example.

Though I will say that the third one left me a little cold.
    Last edited by thegooseking; 11-06-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of navet. It's navet turned inside-out. Navet wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Agreed. His Thongness deserved better, but I suspect he would have been happy with what he got.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Of course they're withholding content. If no company withheld content, games would never get released, and nothing would ever have a sequel.

If you don't think the full-priced version of a game is worth full price sans the DLC, just don't buy it. If you think it's good value even "without" whatever the DLC is, buy it. Calmly state your opinion with your wallet.

What the headlines seem to say: "They're keeping good stuff away from us! Waaahhh! I want it all!"

What they should say: "Capcom's latest fighter is only worth about ten quid because there are only 4 playable characters"

Whether things are held back or not is irrelevant, that has been happening in all forms of entertainment since the invention of... I don't know, speakers. The issue is whether, by "holding back" content, publishers are actually leaving behind an inadequate stripped-down version of a game, and trying to sell it for full price. And again, go to their forums and tell them "that thing you released isn't worth 」40," and wait for a sale while you play games that you think are worth your money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I went to a fast food place today and they purposefully withheld fries and a drink from my burger order and then tried to charge me more money when I asked for fries and a drink! They told me it was some kind of "value meal", I told them I don't buy day one DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I went to a fast food place today and they purposefully withheld fries and a drink from my burger order and then tried to charge me more money when I asked for fries and a drink! They told me it was some kind of "value meal", I told them I don't buy day one DLC.
    That's nothing. I went to buy an album and they purposefully withheld the B-sides, saying that if I wanted them, I'd have to not only pay extra for them, but also re-buy songs that were already on the album. What's worse is that some of this B-side DLC was actually released before the album was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    So all we have to do to make sense of abusive DLC is to replace the notion of games as art with the notion of games as fast food. Nice.