Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar

Dead Island gets a sequel.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/de...ide-announced/

Now, despite the general feeling that there's so many zombie games out there, the original Dead Island was still pretty good, if a little shonky in places. So, I would consider this is A Good Thing?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    By far the best zombie action game I've played, so I'm pleased to see this.
    Last edited by vinraith; 06-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.

I read so much divided opinion about Dead Island. I like the idea of an open-world zombie-bashing game, but what is the popular opinion re its single-player experience?

I enjoyed most of the 26 hours it took me to play through the SP. I played a bit of coop as well, which was fun, but the game is much more tense and atmospheric in SP.

The game did start to drag on a bit towards the end though, the jungle levels I did not enjoy so much. And the final bossfight out-terrible'd even those in DXHR. The parts in the city were the highpoint for me.
    Last edited by Henke; 06-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Well it's very similar to Borderlands in every way. If you played that you should have a pretty good idea what to expect. Action was too bouncy for me though, I kept getting head aches and had to stop playing the game although I enjoyed it a lot.

Guess I might give it another try now that I have a gamepad so I could take some distance from the display.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I read so much divided opinion about Dead Island. I like the idea of an open-world zombie-bashing game, but what is the popular opinion re its single-player experience?
    Most importantly, is it jump-scary? Do you have to traverse through complete darkness with a small flashlight only, and the zombies suddenly jump at you from just outside the cone of light and scream YYAAAARRRRRGGGHHH at you and try to devour your face? I'd much rather have my zombies be visible from miles away in broad daylight, preferably also politely announcing their intentions well before any action and calling me "sir".
    Last edited by Velko; 06-06-2012 at 09:51 AM.

I wouldn't call it scary.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Network Hub
    Meh, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the first one. It did deliver exactly what it said on the tin - Borderlands with zombies - but it just didn't grab me at all.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I liked the first one alot. My biggest problem with it was just how they handled dying. I hated the respawn system. It made the game at once too easy and too tedious, as in the harder parts you could just infinitely die and respawn until you'd cleared everything. It's like they made the game and realized it was too hard, but rather than tweaking the actual difficulty they just instead decided to slap on the lazy insta-respawn fix at the last second. It was stupid.

Oh, plus human enemies sucked and should have just been removed entirely as their AI was pretty awful (of the head shot you from a mile away variety, but really stupid in all other regards) and those portions of the game just felt like an awful, bargain bin, first person shooter.

Other than that, though, I really liked the game despite its flaws. It has a better melee system them most games out there, which is probably the one thing that makes the game so much fun despite its flaws. Smashing zombies heads never gets tiring.

Network Hub
    I hated this game so much. I thought it did everything wrong. Really, I didn't like a single part of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    For those wondering about it, it really is melee Borderlands with zombies and a larger (and fuller) open world and an entertaining crafting system. If that sounds appealing you'll have a blast. It works well in co-op and in single player, in my experience, with the latter being a much tenser, more atmospheric game while the former is just blood-soaked zombie killing madness.

Network Hub
    I was not big onshooting games and zombie games but not now. I never thought Dead Island asenjoyable before I tried it. Now I'm excited to get another dose of Dead Islandsequel.
    This game's a drug.I'm addicted.
    And speaking of asequel, here's another good news: http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/rea...16959?latest=1
    I can't wait to getthis one. The last time I played with a mate, we ended having a 6-hourmultiplayer marathon together. Obviously, this game is fun when played with acrowd.
    I can't think of theupcoming sequel as otherwise. Although I also enjoyed the singleplayer mode, MPis unbelievably fun.
    There are minorthings that can sometimes bother me. Themost glaring thing for me though is the inconsistent world logic--some doorscan be broken while others cannot. It reminds me that Banoi came from the sameplace as Call of Juarez: The Cartel--an especially buggy one. It also annoys mewhen I'm referred to "him" even if I'm using a female character.
    I'm expecting thenew sequel will be free of such particularly inexplicable bugs. I know the game received mixed reviews whenit came out but overall, Dead Island is still a good zombie game after thegenre had seen decline and corruption over the years. I know folks who lovezombie games but found Dead Island not that desirable at all. Others, like me,who did not have much exposure to the genre accepts many of the game's strongpoints. Probably because of our lack of exposure, but I guess what captivatesme was simply the pure raw fun this game offers. Whatever it is, Dead Island iscertainly a game not worth missing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Best zombie game, best first person single player melee game.
    Bring it on imo.

Network Hub
    I never got further than the first area. I should give it another go.

What confused me was "Am I running from the zombies, avoiding them, or face mashing?".
    The slow ones you could avoid easily, but the runners (fast zombies, why?!) just came out the bush and started battering your car.

Network Hub
    Well hell, I already had my opinion here. Now I just feel silly. But I still think this game was crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Best zombie game, best first person single player melee game.
    What about Zeno Clash?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I enjoyed it for a bit, but it definitely has flaws. It felt a lot like an un-funny Borderlands. So all the grind, none of the fun.

Also, the weapon degradation is nice in theory, but it mostly just results in randomly using stuff until it breaks. At least, up until I always lost interest.

And none of the characters really appeal to me.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    They sure tricked me with that touchy trailer.

Banned
    The game hanged itself with its own mechanics. If you're making even a semi-serious game about zombie survival, people having to kill their whole family in self-defense and whatnot, you can't just then slap the typical "arcade" mechanics of XP, flating damage numbers, randomly generated weapons complete with pre/suffixes and minimum level requirements and respawning.

That said, I adored controls in this game. Full body awareness complete with movement inertia, I wish more games did that rather than just disembodied hands and camera flating in the air.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    The game hanged itself with its own mechanics. If you're making even a semi-serious game about zombie survival, people having to kill their whole family in self-defense and whatnot, you can't just then slap the typical "arcade" mechanics of XP, flating damage numbers, randomly generated weapons complete with pre/suffixes and minimum level requirements and respawning.

That said, I adored controls in this game. Full body awareness complete with movement inertia, I wish more games did that rather than just disembodied hands and camera flating in the air.
    Uhm, an arcadey approach works for Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor.

I think the problem is that a lot of people (clearly mohor is one of them :p) saw the trailer, never looked into the game any further than that, and made their decisions on those grounds.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I had ludicrous amounts of fun with Dead Island played Co-op, the Hazard zone in the City area was particularly amusing, as we'd get split up and try and mount impromptu rescues of each other that usually escalated into even worse situations.

The storyline, acting, characters etc were all AWFUL, anyone involved in those aspects of the game should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves (my friends have been known to burst out into cries of 'ooooo Champagne!' and 'Find anything? after a few drinks in homage, in the same way you might laugh at a particularly awful B movie).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter