Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I read so much divided opinion about Dead Island. I like the idea of an open-world zombie-bashing game, but what is the popular opinion re its single-player experience?
    One of the worst launches in gaming history probably led to much of that divided opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Uhm, an arcadey approach works for Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor.
    Never played KF but L4D was hardly acradey. L4D2 was and many people criticized it for it, actually.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    wut

Both L4D's are arcadey.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Did he really implied L4D 1 is realistic :|

Banned
    I knew I should've used "gamey" instead of "arcadey".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I knew I should've used "gamey" instead of "arcadey".
    L4D wasn't a game?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

The overall tone was somewhat lighter than the first, but they play exactly the same way.

Network Hub
    I thought the first person melee is one of the best I have come across but the game was about 3 times longer than it needed to be. One more fleshed out area would have been better than the 4 or 5 it had and the zombie level scaling often meant it didn't feel like you were getting more powerful.

Last edited by Mihkel; 03-11-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Banned
    L4D wasn't a game?
    Reading is teh hard?

Reading is teh hard?
    Evidently. Either that or you made a random statement that you didn't back-up in the slightest and now are resorting to trivial taunting as an alternative to actually having to back up anything you say. One or the other :p
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/06/de...ide-announced/

Now, despite the general feeling that there's so many zombie games out there, the original Dead Island was still pretty good, if a little shonky in places.
    no doubt on this. I'm not a big fan of zombie games either but Dead Island stirred my interest in this genre.

Obscure Node
    I really enjoyed Dead Island (single player) but its main problem is just that it was so incredibly schizophrenic - like there were two independent dev teams having a tug-of-war over what it should be about. Because buried under all the over-the-top borderlands-y co-op stuff and the terrible dialogue there actually almost was the tense and creepy open-world zombie survival game that the trailer suggested. And when that side came out in the solo game - particularly in the city - it was incredible. If they'd focused on either the fun bash-em-up or the tense survival sim without trying to have both and completely screwing up the tone, they could have had a remarkable game.
    Hopefully for the sequel they figure out what they actually want to do - though my suspicion is that they'll choose the borderlands route rather than the tense lone survivor route.

Banned
    Evidently. Either that or you made a random statement that you didn't back-up in the slightest and now are resorting to trivial taunting as an alternative to actually having to back up anything you say. One or the other :p
    I generally try and not back up statements like "Earth is not flat" because it makes my spine tingle.

But okay, here's a quick summary of how this works.

Gamey: A game is gamey if it does little, if anything at all, to hide the fact that it's a game.

For example, Dead Island is gamey because on screen floating damage numbers, you can see enemy health, a giant LEVEL UP appears on the screen when you level up, items have minimum level requirements, etc.
    Left 4 Dead is not very gamey because it has nothing like that. The only things on your screen is your crosshair, ammo and team health values. About the most gamey thing in L4D is ability to see other players' outlines through walls(and that's gone on Expert).

Why is that important? Because immersion.

Left 4 Dead also has stuff telling you to heal other players, be ready to fight a horde etc.

But comparing Dead Island and L4D isn't what you did in the first place.

Banned
    Oh right, I forgot you PC gamers don't ever visit the options menu. You can turn these off.

And yeah, I never compared Dead Island to L4D. gundato did.

You can do that in Dead Island too.

You compared L4D 1 to 2 and it made no sense.

Oh right, I forgot you PC gamers don't ever visit the options menu. You can turn these off.

And yeah, I never compared Dead Island to L4D. gundato did.
    Oh you

The game hanged itself with its own mechanics. If you're making even a semi-serious game about zombie survival, people having to kill their whole family in self-defense and whatnot, you can't just then slap the typical "arcade" mechanics of XP, flating damage numbers, randomly generated weapons complete with pre/suffixes and minimum level requirements and respawning.

That said, I adored controls in this game. Full body awareness complete with movement inertia, I wish more games did that rather than just disembodied hands and camera flating in the air.
    Followed by

Uhm, an arcadey approach works for Left 4 Dead and Killing Floor.

I think the problem is that a lot of people (clearly mohor is one of them :p) saw the trailer, never looked into the game any further than that, and made their decisions on those grounds.
    So yeah...

Also: Apparently L4D isn't "gamey" because you can toggle stuff in the settings. But Dead Island is "gamey" because you can toggle stuff in the settings.

Never played KF but L4D was hardly acradey. L4D2 was and many people criticized it for it, actually.
    And L4D2 is "gamey" because it probably has the exact same settings that L4D1 had.

I am starting to see why you try to avoid justifying your opinions :p

Banned
    Even if you turn off floating damage numbers, XP gain, etc. you still have a game with pseudorandomly generated loot with minimum stat requirements and... well, levels in the first place.

What I meant by saying L4D2 is more arcadey is that the survivors were made more "colorful" and most of the game takes place during the day or in "zany" locations like the amusement park level. Combined with some mechanics changes(slower hordes, melee weapons, defibs) the game feels noticeably less gritty and more like Serious Sam: Zombie Coop Edition than like actual survival horror.

I'd agree that the atmosphere is different because of the setting, but the L4D1 maps in 2 still feel the same despite other changes.